1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel sending unit?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by MiloLimited, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Sep 7, 2016 at 7:27 PM
    MiloLimited

MiloLimited [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black 4runner limited
    None
    I drove my car to my daughter home, about 4 miles away and when I got back in to leave it would not start. It would try but acted like it wasn't getting any fuel. I had a 1/4 of a tank left. So I put in two gallons and it started right up. Check engine light was on and TAC OFF light was on. Called the dealer next day to get it looked it at. Decided to put more gas in before i took it to dealer. Filled it to approximately 3/4 full and all lights went out.
    Dealer said I needed a new sending unit. Never had a problem before and think I might drive it to see if it shuts off again at a 1/4 tank. Do you think it was a one time deal or go ahead and pay 600 to get new sending unit ??

2. Sep 8, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    They look to be a couple hundred at most. I wonder how difficult it would be to install yourself

3. Sep 9, 2016 at 6:50 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    I had the problem occur on my Silverado, and while a Chevy and a Toyota are very different, here's a few things to check out.

Mine went out after about 3 or so years of ownership, and the dealership wanted $575 to replace, labor included.

Found out the part is about a $49 part for the ACDelco part (OEM part), and so the other $500 was labor. It required accessing the top of the fuel tank, because that's where the fuel pump is. This part was a tiny piece that connected to the fuel tank and gave the dashboard information about the fuel level based on a floater in the fuel pump living in the tank. (this may not be exactly your part).

Anyways, it took me about 45 minutes to just simply take the truck bed off and get to this. Not really an option in a 4Runner. However, in the Toyota Camry's you can remove the back seat cushion and access the top of the fuel tank that way. If the 4Runner has something like that, then it's a pop it off, unplug the part, plug in new part, put seat back in kinda deal.

Otherwise you're likely emptying the tank, then dropping the gas tank, which will take a few hours and needs a friend or some jack cause it can be awkward or heavy. If they are quoting the work this way, it's a 3 or so hour job probably, hence the up charge in labor.

I'd say that if you're willing to invest the time and save the money, it shouldn't be a hard fix, nor an expensive one unless the fuel pump is combined with the sending unit in a way you can't replace the part by itself.

Hope this at least gets your started.

cmpugh7 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top