1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel door broken

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Cleo, May 4, 2020.

1. May 4, 2020 at 3:16 PM
    Cleo

Cleo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver 4Runner
    I have been googling this for what seems like forever & that's when I came across this forum.

When I got my 2007 4Runner, the fuel door was (what seemed to be) misaligned. I would have to push it up and in to get it to close all the way. One day when I opened it, it just fell off.
    Just from looking at it, it looks like the pin (?) that holds the hinge on (?) rusted and broke off at the ends (both ends). Everything else worked fine. I really hope there is a way I can get that part & fix it on my own. Anyone have suggestions/knowledge on this? IMG-6234.jpg IMG-6233.jpg

Tuseon likes this.
  2. May 5, 2020 at 6:45 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    So it appears to have been "misaligned" because the bottom hinge on the door was broken or rusted off, putting all the strain of opening the door on the top hinge. At some point then the hinge pin going through the top hinge broke or rusted. I think your solution is a new or junkyard fuel door and hinge pin. Those are a pain since the things are riveted on, not bolted on in which case you could just unbolt it and replace it.

3. Oct 28, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    Cardoza27

Cardoza27 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Did you end up fixing this? If so, how? This just happened to me yesterday and don’t know how to fix it. Help!

4. Oct 26, 2022 at 6:11 AM
    Tuseon

Tuseon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patty
    Vehicle:
    4runner2007
    I have the same exact issue I need help fixing this please!! I found this post through Google images trying to get an answer

Attached Files:

5. Oct 26, 2022 at 6:27 AM
    Tuseon

Tuseon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patty
    Vehicle:
    4runner2007
  6. Oct 26, 2022 at 4:45 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    Not that hard to Fix (for me sorry) however I very carefully drill the old hinge bracket out and install a replacement one with Metric pop rivets.
    First I marked the outline of the old hinge with a sharpie, drill out old rivets put replacement door in place wide open of course then I partially installed both rivets not fully tight then made sure I was lined up well (gentle tap with screw driver handle) then finished locking the rivets in place.

Products Discussed in

To Top