1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frozen Parking Brake cable 99 4Runner Limited

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Fiiisherman, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    Fiiisherman

Fiiisherman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner
    Stock
    I'm troubleshooting a frozen Parking Brake cable on my 4Runner.
    I checked under the truck and the cable and mechanism for each back wheel is free and moves and applies braking to each rear wheels (as it should) when each cable pulled by hand.
    The cable that seems to be frozen is the center cable that comes from the handle to the connection at the rear.
    Anyone ever seen this?
    Any way to un-freeze this cable?? PbBlaster maybe???
    Could the problem be in the handle mechanism itself?

Another question..
    Is the Parking brake cable sold as one assembly that includes the cables for each rear wheel plus the center cable that goes to the handle inside the truck?
    I'm looking at a Dorman #660124 Cable (Rock Auto). Is this the cable I need?

I will appreciate any response
    thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Mar 13, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    Roman

Roman New Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    The cable is all one assembly. I can't speak for the aftermarket part, but there are options on the OEM cable. If you'll shoot me your VIN, I can look up the correct one for you.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    jester243 likes this.
  3. Nov 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    Fiiisherman

Fiiisherman [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner
    Stock
    well, I finally got around to changing the cable assembly this week. This could have been a easy job if not for 2 things. #1. I had to drop the driveshaft (end at transaxle). Toyota placed a brake cable mounting strap over the driveshaft inside the tunnel. You must drop the shaft to access the one bolt that holds the cable above the shaft. The driveshaft tunnel is not wide enough to allow your hands to reach the bolt with a wrench. That was a pisser .........#2. The Dorman cable that I used had incorrect hole diameters on the two clevis ends that attach at the brake backing plates at each rear wheel. I had to drill out the holes 1/32" before I could install the shoulder pins and secure the cable to the parking brake actuator at each rear wheel. It was a real pisser because I already had the cables on the truck before I found this mistake, so I had to drill the holes bigger while laying on my back under the truck......so if you use the Dorman cable be sure to check hole clearances to make sure that your existing pins will fit the holes. The rest of the cable assembly looks Ok, just a little "light weight" for the job. Time will tell. I did opt for the cheapest cable, and that is what I got.

Products Discussed in

To Top