1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Struts leaking

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by tundradan, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Jul 27, 2020 at 9:26 PM
    tundradan

tundradan [OP] New Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Silver 4Runner Limited
    Stock....for now
    Had the 4Runner in for an alignment today and they told me the "front struts were starting to leak. not bouncing yet".

It only has 70K miles on it? I have owned many Toyotas with 100K+ miles on them and have never replaced any front suspension parts.

Is this normal? What do they mean by "not bouncing yet"? How long till replacement and what should I replace them with?

TIA

2. Jul 27, 2020 at 9:47 PM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner off-road premium
    King Coilovers King rear shocks Spc UCA Spc rear Trail arms Eibach Rear springs SCS F5’s
    Bilstein 5100’s all around would probably be cheaper than buying stock shocks. However I have 4 shocks I can sell you off my 2020 if you would like.

3. Jul 27, 2020 at 11:19 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    OP has the xreas system I believe, so your shocks wouldn’t work unless OP gets rid of the system.

4. Jul 28, 2020 at 5:18 AM
    Antman

Antman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner off-road premium
    King Coilovers King rear shocks Spc UCA Spc rear Trail arms Eibach Rear springs SCS F5’s
    that’s what I was implying to get rid of the system lol

5. Jul 28, 2020 at 6:15 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Do some research on the 4Runner XREAS suspension, it's a known weak point in these vehicles, but only affects Limited, because that's the only trim they come on. I'd say 70k - 100k is commonly a failure mileage on that system.

Most people who choose to mod their vehicles pull that junk out and put in a good suspension if they are deviating from stock. If you're sticking stock, you're about to buy a high end suspension simply to repair it if you can't fix easily.

Leaking but not bouncing means it's dying, but not dead. When the fluid is gone, your ride quality will go to pot because no oil will be there to make the shocks works properly.

nimby likes this.
  6. Jul 28, 2020 at 6:32 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 T4R Limited
    I wouldn’t say it’s a weak point, it’s just an expensive fix to repair it with OEM stuff. 70,000 miles is not an unreasonably short life span for a wear item like shock.

The purpose of the springs is to support the weight of a vehicle, set the ride height, and allow movement of the suspension. The purpose of a shock is to dampen and control spring oscillations. A spring with with no dampener will bounce up and down over and over and over and over after hitting a bump, eventually it’ll dissipate it’s energy and stop bouncing but for ease of explanation, it’ll bounce indefinitely. A damper lets the spring compress or extend and then controls the rebound force to stabilize and even out the load back to its static position so it doesn’t bounce forever.

The bounce test for a shock is push down on the bumper real hard and watch how the body reacts. If it goes down and up the shock is still doing something, if it bounces 3-4 times before steadying the shock is dead inside.

It’s in your best interest to just rip the system out and replacing it with normal shocks. It’s purely mechanical with no electrical components or monitoring so removing it is simple but you MUST do all 4 corners at the same time.

7. Jul 28, 2020 at 6:36 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    You're right, I'll qualify that statement a bit better.

It's a reasonable life span, a known issue of it's occurrence and cost, and compared to the relatively tank-like rest of the vehicle, prone to failure before other items.

If this was a domestic, 70K is a great long life, but we are spoiled with the 4Runner because 70k is still "newish" to us due to quality of builds.

8. Jul 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM
    tundradan

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Stock....for now
    I had heard of the XREAS system but didn't pay much attention to it. Now I understand that's what my truck has... Great explanation and perfectly understandable, thank you! I am willing do do as you suggest, replace ALL 4 corners. Any ideas on cost?

9. Jul 28, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 T4R Limited
    You can spend as much or as little as you want. You can find a set of good condition low mile take offs someone removed to upgrade for anywhere from a 6 of beer to a $100 bucks. Or you can go all out with remote reservoir long travel stuff that’ll send you back $5,000. It’s totally up to you what you want to spend, get whoever setup best fits your needs.

tundradan [OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 28, 2020 at 11:30 PM
    tundradan

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Stock....for now
    Thanks for the feedback! I put the 5100's on my Chevy Duramax and loved them! I am leaning in that direction.

Agent_Outside likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top