1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Shock R&R with KDSS

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by afret, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Jan 9, 2022 at 9:19 AM
    afret

afret [OP] 2022 ORP, KDSS, Toyo AT3

Member:
    North Idaho
    I've seen videos where they switch front shocks on a non KDSS 4R by just undoing the upper ball joint (and also the sway bar removed from the spindle to give more room) so the UCA is free to get out of the way. With the KDSS, can the front shock be switched with only the upper ball joint separated?

2. Jan 9, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    We ended up disconnecting the sway bar on mine.

There might be some good youtube videos.

3. Jan 9, 2022 at 10:17 AM
    afret

Member:
    North Idaho
    Did you have to ratchet strap the KDSS cylinder and was it to give more room to get the shock/spring out? I see quite a few non KDSS front suspension videos and most loosen the LCA bolts with the alignment cams for some reason. Seems like the harder way. Thank you very much for all the great info you always provide on this forum. I'm pretty happy that I was able to get hold of a KDSS model. Just keep going back and forth on if I should just leave it alone other than tires/wheels and a front camera. LOL

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jan 9, 2022 at 10:26 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

We did not use a ratchet strap. I seem to recall it being a wrestling match. I believe I missed out on some of the tricks to the installation. I think there was a video I saw, after mine were already done of course, that had a better technique. I wish I could remember more.

5. Jan 9, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    I used this video to help me understand how to open the KDSS accumulator shutter valves…

Starts around 2:00

https://youtu.be/lcA5z4YPUTk

Old Tanker likes this.
  6. Jan 9, 2022 at 5:58 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM

Just want to note that the valves should not be opened unless it's absolutely necessary!

I would perform the lift without touching the valves and then only open them if you throw a KDSS light on the dash.

7. Jan 9, 2022 at 6:42 PM
    afret

Member:
    North Idaho
    Thanks guys for all the info. I don't think I would mess with the valves if I decide to change out the shocks. I know I would end up screwing things up. LOL

Thatbassguy likes this.
  8. Jan 17, 2022 at 2:30 PM
    afret

Member:
    North Idaho
    Found some more info. Seems like everyone does things a bit differently. Eibach recommends leaving the cylinder side attached but removing the clamp from the fixed arm on the passenger side sway bar to let the LCA drop on that side. I guess the cylinder lets the drivers side LCA down enough so you don't have to remove that clamp. King doesn't recommend removal of the passenger side clamp or cylinder clamp and they just use a screw jack under the cylinder to compress the cylinder to let the passenger side drop enough. Toytec removes the clamps on the sway bar from both the cylinder and the fixed side and just uses a screw jack to get them both back together after finishing the shock install on the front. Seems like they all leave the sway bar ends connected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s7hI_3Pb4A

9. Jan 17, 2022 at 3:20 PM
    Squeaky

Squeaky New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 ORP LR
    As someone who just wrestled with KDSS yesterday leveling my wife’s new ORP, all I can say is, remove as little as you can get away with. I was cursing KDSS pretty good by the end of it.

Dabigono likes this.
  10. Jan 17, 2022 at 3:32 PM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner

I installed my Ironman stage 2 kit solo. I thought it was fairly simple because of opening the KDSS valves. No warning lights, no KDSS lean, no problems.

Easy peasy!!

raimieb likes this.
  11. Mar 18, 2023 at 4:09 PM
    raimieb

raimieb Hobby Mechanic - Love Our 4Runner!

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    After reading and watching, it seems like the correct way is to open the valves the full two turns.

Old Tanker likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top