1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front only Bilstein 5100 questions...

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Daftanddirty, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Sep 25, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    Daftanddirty

Daftanddirty [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trev
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM ORP
    Terra Grappler 2 265's Morimoto XB LED Fogs Body Armor HiLine front bumper with 20" light bar Plasti Dip badges and rear valence
    I know I know I have searched the 5th gen forums already. Beating that dead horse aside. I have a opinion question that I know will get differing views. I just got my "fronts only" Bilstein 5100 shocks. I have a stock 2019 ORP. I am keeping stock UCA's and springs. I place my ride on level ground and place a floor jack in the front and raise it 2.5". I measure each height and the front appears to be still .25" low. My real question is this... Is there anything wrong with maxing out my Bilstein's to their 2.5" average ride height setting and touch nothing else. No I am not putting spacers in the back.

Again sorry for not reading through every single past discussion, I see so many variances I just want to know if this specifically will work.

2. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    In a word.............yes.

Roland likes this.
  3. Sep 25, 2020 at 3:16 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Ride height and levelling measurements are tricky, and there are many ways to do it. Put a level on the frame, put a level on the window line, measure hub to fender edge, I could go on and on. In the end, do it, and eyeball it. If you like how it looks, you’re good! As a guideline, for what it’s worth, anything higher than 1 1/2” with the front coil overs will give a bro lean - nose high, if the rear suspension is left stock.
    I installed an Elka front coilover set to factory default for 1 1/2” which Elka said would be level. I then added a 1/2” rear spacer to be sure, and I’m just level. It looks like it has a positive rake, but if you measure it, with a level, it’s right on. I have a build thread, so you can see it there. Oldtoyotaguys Build Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  4. Sep 28, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    Daftanddirty

Daftanddirty [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trev
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM ORP
    Terra Grappler 2 265's Morimoto XB LED Fogs Body Armor HiLine front bumper with 20" light bar Plasti Dip badges and rear valence
    @Oldtoyotaguy Thanks for the advice, I took it. Just got the 1.75" Bilstein installed. Looks so good now.

Trail Runnah, Roland, DrewMan and 3 others like this.
  5. Sep 29, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I did the setting 1.65, which is the older 1.75 c clip location. (Bilstein has 2 instruction books, the older before Feb 2018 shows the 1.75 clip setting)

anyways with 1.65” and 1” Cornfed spacers in the rear w/ stock rear coils it makes it perfectly level. 1” higher than a stock TRD PRO. The pro is about 1-1.5” higher than a stock OEM height

6. Sep 29, 2020 at 2:10 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    So you have zero factory rake with this set up? The rear is the same height as the front?

7. Sep 29, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Oh, I was asking @PCRIDE4RUNNER about his current set-up.

8. Oct 23, 2021 at 11:07 AM
    vermonter

vermonter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Venture
    Bilstein 5100 front, 1 3/4 lift, Falcon Wildpeak 275s, amber fogs and ditch
    Hey y'all, I'm late to this but thought I'd share a great experience with Bilsteins to help. I installed new Bilstein 5100s *front only* on a new 2021 4Runner Venture. This was actually a mistake; I ordered all 4 shocks, the shop only got the front 2 in, so I said go for it! We gave the front a 1.75" lift using the Bilstein adjustments to try to level the truck, while leaving the rear shocks stock. The partial setup worked out great -- the truck is very slightly nose up (see pic), but handles fantastic, the stiffer shocks in front transform the ride, and I kind of like the ballsy head-up look. I also went from stock 265 tires to Falcon Wildpeak 275s (avoided 285s which seemed too huge and would require a body mount chop); with 275s the front rubbed slightly but we trimmed the plastic just a hair in the front wheel wells and now no rub. I considered adding Bilstein shocks in the back, but really don't see the need to spend the extra money; the back is just a bit "softer" than the front now but barely noticeable and overall the truck is transformed into a firm, strong tank. I figure when I hit hard dirt the front will take most of the punishment anyway. If I add a metal low-pro bumper in the future, the setup may be more level.

Also amber fogs and ditch lights, plus Pedal Commander for more throttle ... all recommended. Bottom line, this setup transforms the feel of the truck, the view is more commanding, and the ride seems somehow stronger and tighter. Good luck if you consider this. Cheers.

4Runner Bilstein.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  9. Oct 23, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    seems you have a bit too much rake for my taste. But your ride looks awesome.

Using the 1.75” C setting, you’ll need the Cornfed 1” and .90” rear coil spacers to level it out. I did the 1.65” C setting with the cornfed coil spacers and it’s perfect with 275s. Try adding these spacers to get a nice leveled look.

10. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Good suggestion, PCRIDE4RUNNER. I was going to say that as well. I have ELKA’s on mine at the factory default 1 1/2” setting which ELKA calls level but is just slightly front high. I used a 1/2” Cornfed spacer and voila - level! I’m not a fan of spacers as the sole means of a lift, but they work in situations like this where you’re close but not quite there. I would have gladly changed the rear springs, but I couldn’t find anyone making a spring with only a 1/2-3/4” lift. All the rear springs for 4 Runners that I found are monsters set up for guys carrying tons of extra weight. They give a rear high look that has to be ungainly to drive when empty. The 1/2” Cornfed spacer allowed me to keep the stock rear springs which are otherwise perfect for what I carry.

vermonter likes this.
  11. Oct 23, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    PCRIDE4RUNNER

PCRIDE4RUNNER New Member

Member:
    SUPER DUPER
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR

Dobinson coils were the only rear coil I could find that would work for a 1.7” lift, that acted like a OEM softness. You should be able to find the post here.

12. Nov 5, 2021 at 1:08 PM
    vermonter

vermonter New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Venture
    Bilstein 5100 front, 1 3/4 lift, Falcon Wildpeak 275s, amber fogs and ditch
    Thanks @PCRIDE4RUNNER good advice ... I can see my journey tuning this rig has just begun.

Products Discussed in

To Top