1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front frame member broken

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Toothnerd, May 10, 2019.

?

Get it fixed right away

1. Yes, that's bad

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. It's okay to wait on it. Not the end of the world

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. May 10, 2019 at 7:00 PM
    Toothnerd

Toothnerd [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sr5 v8
    Hey all. I'm a new 4runner owner and love it. I have an 2006 V8 sr5

Long story short, I was driving over a curb and bottomed out really hard. When I checked under the car, the round bar on each side under the driver and passenger seat were damaged. The bar is bolted 45 degrees from the main frame rails to the crossmember. The part number is 51225-35050 I believe. I assume it is to assist in frame rigidity. On the driver side, the bar completely pulled from the main frame rail one bolt broke (rust) and the other stripped from the frame. My question is, is this necessary to fix right away and do you think any other damage could have been incurred? Do I need to spend the money right away to fix it?
    IMG_20190510_183407_1.jpg Nowhere else visibly seemed damaged. Hoping to get some peace of mind as I love this car and it was a dumb mistake.

Thanks in advance. Here is a picture.

2. Jun 8, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Thevault301

Thevault301 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Appomattox Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Sr5 All-4WD V8 4Runner
    None all stock
    Take it to a mechanic and have him Tell you on what to do next. Depending upon the severity of the frame rust he/she will tell you if its safe to drive. Just a btw tons of 4th gen 4runner owners are experiencing this issue with the frame rust.

3. Jun 10, 2019 at 11:09 AM
    captsolo

captsolo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    nassau bahamas
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5
    WOW. That's a lot of rust.

The (black painted) skid plates on my 2005 SR5 4 runner seem to keep the rust issue low on mine. I sprayed the (heavy/thick 2 inch steel) front bar a year ago - where I could see rust all alone the bar that faces the wind and rain - and it seems to have helped.

I repeated it again today with CorrosionX - which dries over a period of 6 months and turns the rust into a "black"

I wouldn't say I have a rust issue with my underbody. Looks like the dealer or manufacturer has done some undercoating.

The upper body is completely free of any rust on my 2005.

My 2005 SR5 has 150,000 miles on it. I live in the Bahamas where there is salt water everywhere, and all my trips are about 4 miles - so that's a lot of miles.

Starts and runs like a top. No engine or tranny issues whatsoever. I love my Toyota.

Change the oil with conventional every 4000 miles.

UPDATE: I just did a quick looksee underneath, and the dealer or manufacturer looks to have painted the underbody of my 2005 4 runner with a "black paint" - and I have very little rust.

I'll bet it will hold up another 20 years.

Products Discussed in

To Top