1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front bumper research results (limited)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by DangitDad, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Mar 2, 2024 at 12:28 PM
    DangitDad

DangitDad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    3"/2" Ironman lift, Method 703 wheels, K02's, Pedal Commander, more to come
    Sharing my quick research results on front bumpers:

Wide range of prices, from $650 to $1,800. Average is $1,055 as of 3/2/24. %'s noted are deviations from the average.

11 models reviewed.

There were just a couple of "must have" criteria for me: non-tubular designs/features and no bull bar. (I just don't care for the look of tubular bumpers.)

Unless mentioned otherwise, the model I reviewed does not have a bull bar or license plate mount. And umo, it is made of steel or a steel/aluminum combo. All had shackle mounts included.

Backwoods, Hi-Lite Overland: +71%, 83 lbs, powder coated (PC,) no light cutout (but has a flat spot for light mounting,) 12K winch capacity

Greenlane, Stump: +55%, 43 lbs, aluminum, PC, 25" cutout, license plate mount, no winch capacity

C4, Lo Pro: +16%, 75 lbs, bare steel, 30" cutout, up to 12K winch capacity, offers high clearance additions

Cali Raised, Stealth: -6%, 77 lbs, PC, 32" cutout, license plate mount, up to 12K winch capacity

Victory4x4, Blitz: -8%, 68 lbs, PC, 20" cutout, removable bull bar, 10K winch capacity

TSO, Incog: -13%, 102 lbs, PC, 30" cutout, no winch capacity noted, offers high clearance additions

Ironman4x4, Raid: -15%, 117 lbs, PC, 20" cutout, 9,500 lb winch capacity

CBI, Covert: -19%, 85 lbs, PC, 30" cutout, 12K winch capacity (Covert Baja is the same but with a bull bar)

RCI, Pike: -35%, 80 lbs, PC, 30" cutout, 10K winch capacity

Body Armor, Hi-Line: -38%, no weight noted, PC, dual 20" cutouts, removable bull bar, license plate mount, 10K winch capacity

ARB's site was too difficult to navigate. It also seems like they're all tubular designs. Warn didn't seem to have any for 4Runners.

There is a Harbor Freight parking lot sale this weekend, where I hope to pick up a Badlands winch. 12K winch capacity leaves Backwoods, C4, Cali Raised, and CBI as contenders. My state requires license plates up front which leaves Cali Raised as the default lead, but I bet screwing a license plate onto any other is a thing...

I believe C4 and TSO are the only companies offering high clearance additions. I'm ok with just having the viper cut without the protection there, so it's not a "must have" for me.

**I did my best on this while trying to get kids to clean their rooms. If you see anything to be corrected, just let me know and I'll edit this post.**

wing2 and CC-2224 like this.
  2. Mar 3, 2024 at 9:25 AM
    roooo

roooo New Member

Member:
    2018 Silver ORP KDSS
    Dang it dad I ain't reading all that!!

Jk nice thread... now you will be expected to add / find proper photos for comparison for all of the above of course...

CC-2224 likes this.
  3. Mar 3, 2024 at 11:03 AM
    DangitDad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    I suppose I could put one picture up and interchange the logos.... They all look so similar!

4. Mar 3, 2024 at 1:24 PM
    Old Tanker

Old Tanker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    "Matilda" 2019 ORP
    Front: Hefty. Rear: LFD. Sliders: RSG. Armor: LFD and Bud Built. Tires: KM3. Switchpro.
    The first thing I look for is four mounting holes for the winch. Not four slots that allow adjustment forward and backwards. In a hard pull, I want the winch to be held in place by the side of the bolt inside the mounting hole, not the compression force of the bolt and the friction of a small nut. Bottom line - the vehicle should move, not the winch.

DangitDad[OP] likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2024 at 1:32 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Prescott Valley - Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    4.88, Air lockers, 35 Toyo MTs, C4 body armor, +2 LT, etc
    I think C4 has a license plate mount that should cover the Hawse fairlead.

Old Tanker made a good callout too, some winch mounts are not well engineered for a full torque pull. I can vouch for C4’s performance.

cheers
    Mike

DangitDad[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 3, 2024 at 1:54 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    What are your primary uses? If you aren't looking for a bumper for hardcore rock crawling type stuff and are more of a basic overlander, I'd suggest the Victory Blitz in aluminum. It only weighs 28 lbs and is made of 1/4 aluminum. After removing the OEM small aluminum I-beam looking bumper (I'm guessing about 15 lbs) you've now only added about 13 lbs of weight to your rig. Obviously, the winch will add weight. The aluminum does cost $300 more than steel which makes it $1,241.

Victory offers a license plate frame that covers the fairlead as well: https://www.victory4x4.com/product/UNI-FPF-PC.html

Here is an aluminum Victory Blitz on my 2023:

IMG_1865 Large.jpg IMG_2732 Large.jpg

7. May 21, 2024 at 2:59 PM
    brodeyo

brodeyo New Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2024 Black TRD Pro
    RCI Skids Sliders, Wescott Designs Lift
    did you choose?

8. May 21, 2024 at 3:59 PM
    2021venture

2021venture New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture
    Elka 2.5, Apache Offroad UCA, durobumps, RCI full skids, RSG sliders, 10 lb Powertank, Maxtrax, Hi lift jack, Westscott Designs modular roof rack and ladder, ARB rear diff breather relocate, ECGS bushing upgrade, c4 low profile bumper, Baja designs S8 lightbar, warn evo winch, factor 55 ultrahook
    Confirmed c4 license plate bracket covers fairlead. It's a 2 screw detach also. Pop the front plate off when hit the trails.

9. May 22, 2024 at 12:55 PM
    DangitDad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2023 White 4Runner
    I went with the Cali-Raised Stealth. I think it looks pretty sharp. Wasn't too difficult an install, except for relocating the winch controller. There's a good install video but it wasn't too clear on where to cut the bumper for the top line. I cut it just below where the cut would hit the grill mounts and it ended up very clean.

[​IMG]

Borracho Loco, jake long15 and wing2 like this.
  10. May 23, 2024 at 1:48 PM
    jake long15

jake long15 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Thanks for choosing us! Bumper looks great! Glad the install was smooth. Always a good idea to have a winch handy!

Products Discussed in

To Top