1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FOX TRD Struts hitting upper control arm

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by BattleWagon, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Jan 25, 2022 at 10:19 PM
    BattleWagon

BattleWagon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF ROAD
    I ended up taking it out and reinstalling the stock strut and ready lift I had on it prior to starting this project. I had to get the Runner back together so i could drive it home that afternoon. The current lift i have from the ready lift is 3" on stock struts so that is why i was trying to retain a 3" lift with the pros and 2" confed spacer.

As for the clarification for the top. The top of the coil is not flat, it also has a pigtail like the bottom of the coil. So when using the spacer, there is no notch for the coil to rest into b/c the spacer is flat. The 2021 TRD coils are different than the 2020 and older coils as they do sit flat and mile have the cut pig tail. Im not sure what my options are with this set up? Because the bottom of the coil has to sit in the notch the i don't have the option to rate the oil (not sure that would make any difference on how its seats into the top spacer. if coil is bowed i would only assume that the spacer is too big for the pro struts.

2. Jan 25, 2022 at 10:21 PM
    BattleWagon

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF ROAD
    I spoke to Chris during my install and we were not able to resolve the issue. I tore the strut and spacer apart 4 times on Saturday with no luck.

3. Jan 25, 2022 at 11:08 PM
    BattleWagon

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF ROAD
  4. Jan 25, 2022 at 11:23 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    That picture makes perfect sense as to why you were having problems.

Looks to me that if you want to run the Pro setup, you need to forget the spacers.

Or get Cornfed to custom notch the spacers so the Pro springs will seat properly.

nimby and BionicRandy like this.
  5. Jan 26, 2022 at 12:20 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Agree, without the notch, the coil will bow because the spring is not supported all the way around.

Sounds frustrating to be taking crap apart so much, but there has to be someone that makes an internal spacer that works with a pigtail end like that…might be worth researching. Maybe call Westcott? I thought they might have internal spacers, but Im not sure if that’s only for stock struts.

You could do an external tower type spacer with the studs for mounting to frame built into them, but I dont think that would be ideal. Uptravel will be limited by a good amount.

l wouldn't get taller springs for the Fox, because they might not match well with the range of the shock piston.

If you want the lift and better shocks, maybe just getting a set of bielstein coilovers is the best bet.

Regardless, running it with that spacer is a problem all by itself…whether it hits the UCA or not.

3in will still require an aftermarket UCA to get caster in spec. I have around 2.5 inches of lift with stock UCAs and I am out of spec. Everything other angle is aligned, but the caster causes my steering to be on the lighter side at speed, and it has a lighter return-to-center steering tendency at low speeds. Im fine with how it drives, but can see how any more lift would start to feel a bit more sketchy.

BionicRandy likes this.
  6. Jan 26, 2022 at 12:54 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Holy Cow! I just watched this video. This guy is a butcher lol! Torn axle boots? Crossthreaded lower shock bolts? Hammering out the tie rods??? :puke:Geez!!!

I watched a of vid on youtube that crickeymike made, before I installed my Dobinson IMS coilovers, which are probably fatter and higher tension than the Fox, and did NONE of disassembly horse and pony show he went through. I took the two bolts holding the LCA to the spindle, loosen the two pivot bolts on the LCA, removed lower shock bolt, then just swing the LCA down out of the way. Loosen the top bolts on the shock strut, the the strut can be pulled straight down!!!!!

And to put the lower shock bolt back on with the new shock, I jacked the LCA up a little bit to align things until it slid right in. Took a few tries, but it eventually slid right in.

And is this guy using the same spacer without the relief notch for the tail of the coil?

I totally get that everybody has to learn somehow, and part of that is making mistakes…but damn, dont make a video of it as an example… I was almost crying in pain at the end lol

Reading his reponses to comments didnt help. He said the alignment seemed fine by how it felt….wow

When I did mine I could see the the front tires were bow-legged just by using my uncalibrated eyeballs.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    nimby and BionicRandy[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:21 AM
    matoolie

matoolie Taking it a day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    for the 2021+ PRO Fox suspension I believe the only lift options are going to be Wescott spacer kit or the upcoming Eibach replacement springs coming in April-May. I have the Wescott kit and am very happy with the results. I also have OME UCA’s for alignment.

You probably could use a spacer that goes on top of the top hat made for other 4Runners, but not sure. Here is pic of Wescott kit installed where the top spacer goes on top of the top hat for part of total lift. This is combined with new bottom spring perch for the rest of the lift.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  8. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:40 AM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black SR5 aka the Batmobile
    Lots of goodies
    LOL! I was laughing when I watched it too…fixed the torn boot with Shoe Goo :annoyed:!!! The tip about the TRD logos aligning and removing the dust cover were solid though…since he got them from Cornfed.

@OP That sucks it didn’t work. I am glad you didn’t add UCAs and roll with it.

9. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:48 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR

F&A man! It was pure pain listening to that !lol

BionicRandy[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:33 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    That looks so much better. I wonder if the fact that the OP's spring is 180* different has any effect...

11. Jan 26, 2022 at 8:41 AM
    matoolie

matoolie Taking it a day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    He was using a preload spacer mounted under the top hat designed for a spring ground flat. The 2021+ PRO springs are not ground flat. As a result the top of the spring was not supported evenly all the way around causing the spring to “bow”. He removed the spacer per above and seems everything is good now, except he no longer has the lift of course.

BionicRandy and nimby like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top