1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fooled by used car dealer(probably typical)

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by RonnieS, May 13, 2019.

1. May 13, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    RonnieS

RonnieS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4.0L
    Bottom line. I bought an 04 4Runner with 155k miles on it. Once I received the title it was clear the odometer had been changed out. The title has a last known mileage of 255k...uh oh. So far I have replaced the valve cover seals, idler pullies, belt tensioner, water pump, interior carpet, radio, and am currently working on the front end (upper and lower control arms). It seems to run fine. Does anyone have 4Runners with 255k on them? Just wondering what else to really expect. I paid $5400 for it, but certainly feel ripped...

2. May 13, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    chassis

chassis New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    Sorry to hear about the experience. Chalk one up for life lessons. It sounds like you are well on the way to improving the condition of your 4Runner.

My V6 SR5 has 205,000 on it and I am in the middle of a light to moderate rebuild.

The normal wear items need replacing over time. The only one that is a biggie is the cylinder head gasket. It is relatively common on 2003-2005 4.0L V6 1GR-FE engines, which the 4Runner uses. Symptoms are running rough when cold, coolant consumption and misfire error codes. If you don't have these symptoms the chances are good the head gasket is OK, but be aware of it.

Some items you didn't list, that I have experienced, or are on my near term list to replace:

front CV shaft(s)
    front stabilizer bar bushings
    front stabilizer bar links
    front shocks
    headlamp assemblies (if hazed)
    exterior light bulbs as needed (headlamps, turn signals, tail lamps, etc.)
    brakes if needed

The list could go on, but these are the jobs that make the vehicle more enjoyable to drive.

Good news is these 4Runners are pretty straightforward to work on, and the 4th generation is still well-supported by Toyota with OEM parts.

3. May 13, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey`
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Eibach Pro Sport leveling shocks, Firestone airbags, and Baja Design fog lights...
    I don’t know what state your in but did you have to sign any paperwork with the mileage clearly stated on it?

scottalot likes this.
  4. May 13, 2019 at 8:35 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    If they didn't disclose that and sold it as the lesser of the two mileages that would most certainly be illegal in any state. Getting busted millage tampering is like landing on the sex offender registry in the car industry. Now if you didn't ask all the correct questions or do the proper research then it's like chassis said, it's a life lesson, don't beat yourself up over it, but if you legit got screwed then you most certainly have multiple recourse options.

5. May 14, 2019 at 4:12 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Agree about the legality pull that thread and dig into it by asking some questions. I don't mean to the dealer I'm talking a lawyer, free service or something I'd look into it out of being pissed.

6. May 14, 2019 at 4:21 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    Bought mine in terrible condition with 193k. Pretty much replaced everything you did and now has 239K. Now everyone wants it....:thumbsup:

7. May 14, 2019 at 4:26 AM
    RonnieS

RonnieS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4.0L
    With regards to mileage the paperwork all said exempt. I looked more into this and found that upon reaching its tenth birthday a car's odometer is no longer binding with regards to truth. In other words it basically becomes true mileage unknown and there is no recourse.

8. May 14, 2019 at 4:33 AM
    RonnieS

RonnieS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4.0L
    I like the thought of this. I actually bought this for my son and didn't want to pay the outrageous price people ask for Toyotas around where we live. He and I have done a ton of work on it and I think it will actually still last him plenty of time.

9. May 14, 2019 at 4:33 AM
    Benny123

Benny123 Toyota enthusiast

Member:
    Southeast Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Nautical Blue SR5 Premium
    LEDs all around, otherwise bone stock.
    Adding a little flavor to HG issue.
    Gurgling/ water rushing sound in the dash. Did this from first day I bought it.

Hearing bubbles in the coolant reservoir when you turn vehicle off. You can hear all this from inside the cab.

Just did my 05 Taco HG in Jan. It bit the big one.

Sorry to hear about the dealer scam. I felt cheated about the HG as I had owned it less than a year. I feel like they knew...

No longer gurgles in dash. No longer bubbles in overflow.

Also on mileage. This video may make you feel better. 4runner with 500000 miles. V8 Still rolling. https://youtu.be/w22mCMiH_pA

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    4Runner_Patrick likes this.
  10. May 14, 2019 at 5:04 AM
    RonnieS

RonnieS [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4.0L
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Not a bad looking whip in my opinion. Just needs some more love...we will get there.

chassis and Benny123 like this.
  11. May 14, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    RonT4R

RonT4R New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner SR5 4WD
    Recent pics before new tires.

chassis likes this.