1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fluid Film after a couple years OK? Anyone against doing it?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by wolfman, Sep 11, 2022.

1. Oct 5, 2022 at 4:18 PM
    wolfman

wolfman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Oh crap. OK. Thanks. I was totally telling myself 'its protected even from rust under there'. I hate taking the skid off. Thank you!

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 5, 2022 at 4:46 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    When I put my sliders on, I sprayed wool wax on all the parts that touched the frame, then gave the undersides of the a quick spray. I figured it’s metal, I’ll give it a fighting chance against the rust.

and no problem, that’s what these threads/forums are for, talk about shit and learn how to do it better, or at least how someone else thinks is better.

qcTRDct likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2022 at 8:26 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s

Good thing it was mentioned!!! Under the skid plates are the all important crossmembers that rust. The radiator cross member, and the engine/transmission crossmembers should be sprayed inside and outside. I got my front diff too. And the lower control arms. Dont be willy nilly and get spray on your engine accessory belts while doing that though.

wolfman[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 5, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Does anyone have any pics of these areas that McSpazatron mentions under the skid plate. I would like to make some notes for mine when I have ff applied next year again.

Last year before I took it in the only thing I removed was the spare tire and I applied to the wheel myself.

I am not able to do it myself but I think maybe the guy who does it for me would remove the skid if necessary and spray those areas

STrooper likes this.
  5. Oct 6, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    upload_2022-10-6_13-29-9.jpg

Starting from the top of the picture are the radiator support crossmember, followed by the two engine/crossmembers to which the lower control arms are attached. All three of these are under skidplates or plastic (at the very front). Here is a another pic of the rear of the engine/trans xmember (where the skids would end)

upload_2022-10-6_13-19-41.jpg

Behind those three, are the transfer case crossmember which has open access.

Behind that and not easily accessible is a small C channel crossmember. It’s visible on the passenger side, but dissapears over the gas tank.

Behind that is a tubular xmember right around where rear shock mounts to the frame. It penetrates and is open to the outside of the box frame, so it’s easy to spray inside it too.

Behind that is the spare tire xmember…c-channel.

And last but not least is the rear bumper xmember.

wolfman[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 6, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    THANK YOU MCSPAZATRON! I am making notes appreciate this very much!

McSpazatron likes this.
  7. Oct 6, 2022 at 2:26 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Not a problem! It’s nice to know that my unusual interest in spending time under the 4runner is helping someone! Lol

wolfman[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 6, 2022 at 3:25 PM
    STrooper

STrooper Let’s Go Places!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD Off Road
    Is that with FF or WW? FF when it dry's is like a paste and it doesn't look like that at all.

9. Oct 6, 2022 at 3:49 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR

It’s woolwax. Check the end of this post for more pics of the current color shade, which I like to call “Saharan Warlord Beige”. ;)https://www.4runners.com/threads/fl...one-against-doing-it.27647/page-2#post-385566

Neither FF or WW actually “dry”. I mean, the grease may eventually oxidize over the years, but I dont think it’s why it might look dry after a while.

The reason I can touch my WW and not have it rub off is because of the dust, grit, and mud that sticks to it. Eventually it completly sauturaded with solids and it forms a crust. The color of the crust is usually the color of the last mud pit Ive been through.

wolfman[OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 6, 2022 at 4:40 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    I did my undercoating on the wheel wheels . 1996 Impala ,2000 silverado and the 2016 runner ...
    https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-R...+1013-1+,automotive,82&sr=1-8#customerReviews

the coating is a few days ago and the tar is soft .... not hard, not a film soft touch on the fingers ..
    when the rust is a steel brush clean it,, then the rust is steel and it coats it and it is 20yrs no rust...
    I put a wood post in the ground coated it total in the ground area .... works great .

11. Oct 6, 2022 at 5:06 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Do you worry about water getting trapped under the rubber coating?

12. Oct 6, 2022 at 5:43 PM
    auspilot

auspilot Old Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR
    Dobs IMS, lots of small stuff
    So how do you FF fans handle spraying around the brake rotors? Do you just skip applying any FF anywhere near the brakes? Or do you mask off calipers/rotors?

13. Oct 6, 2022 at 10:04 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    That’s where a brush comes in handy. But yeah, generally you spray carefully or mask.

wolfman[OP] likes this.
  14. Oct 7, 2022 at 8:12 AM
    Ajmogen

Ajmogen Staying Stock

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Red Tacoma. 2017 Red 4R. 2010 Red Yaris. 2022 Red Corolla
    Liscence Plate Surround
    Take the wheels off and mask with trash bags

15. Oct 7, 2022 at 3:44 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    my vehicles are not rusted on the wheel wells ..over 20 yrs old and it is correct....
    the rubber coating is not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the tar coating petroleum is using the steel .. no water/salt to seal the steel .
    the tar is a rubberized coating NOT RUBBER...the coating is a strong wear issue and the tar is a expansion ...soft but not hard ....
    the wear is not a lot of wear.. I did it the first week and then the 2nd week .my vehicles are not rusted in the wheel wells...

buy it and see if its a strong wheel well issue.. of no rust ..many have the years ago Amazon post the product...
    the older vehicles are over 10-20 yrs and then they did 10 yrs later to touch up the undercoating small amounts..
    2016 Runner I also did my exhaust pipe welding ... the cold galvanizing painted it...no rust on it ...also I removed the plastic wheel wells , then painted the steel of the ....then dried it then put the plastic on the wheel wells...
    used mineral spirits

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  16. Oct 7, 2022 at 5:20 PM
    JakeTheSnak3

JakeTheSnak3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    2023 4runner Trd Pro
    I have not been able to read all the responses about this topic, so please forgive me if I repeat myself. Even if I do, so what? :-}}}}

There is a great video on YT about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWHF4NoNVk. CRC and Fluid film are the products which I am going to use. I will use crc inhibitor on the spots which are flat and open. I will supplement it with fluid film for the spot that creeping is required. CRC doesnt have the creeping abilities, fluid film does. Both products contain lanoline. Also, if you have got a used vehicle, use rust converter first, also by CRC. I just bought brand new 4runner and want my undercarriage nice and rust free. I want to make it last as I know I will be taking it through all kinds of environment. It might be a little overkill but it is still better than an underkill. N95 mask is a must. Wind free place. DO NOT overspray your body. Mask off edges and higher. Put some disposable clothes on. Get to work. Pray to anyone who is listening that it will turn out great.

1. clean all the rusty and dirty spots, sand them if u have to (here primer and paint would be good, and then crc on it) my dad used to do it, we lived in Poland. Salty snowy mud everywhere. We didnt have crc and other things back then (80s, 90s, dont ask) so he just cleaned all the rust, sand it or wire brush it, primer for steel and then black thick oil based paint. Lasted years, but he cleaned under the car every spring and winter.
    2. apply rust converter in the rusty areas if there are any left (I would substitute this with the primer and thick paint, but this just my opinion.
    3. Let it all dry.
    4. Apply CRC first on the easy accessible areas and wherever you can.
    5. Apply Fluid Film in the areas where creeping abilities of it are required.
    6. Repeat this process every year or two, in dry season. Let it all cure properly. It all depends where one lives.

That is what I am going to anyway. Because I can. I am sure there are many experienced people here who are either mechanics, body shop workers, engineers and so on, and they will be able to share some great experience.

wolfman[OP] likes this.
  17. Oct 10, 2022 at 2:22 PM
    STrooper

STrooper Let’s Go Places!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD Off Road
    Great video! I have always used Fluid Film with amazing results and sticking to it. I apply it every two years and looks great underneath the truck!
    Here is another great video from a guy using FF. 4years review after the application was done and the results are amazing!

Fluid Film Review After 4 Years. (Woolwax vs Fluid Film results 1 yr later) - YouTube

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  18. Oct 11, 2022 at 2:37 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Looks awesome, this is the guy who convinced me to try surface shield, I am looking forward to his one year review between woolwax and surface.

19. Oct 14, 2022 at 1:33 PM
    4RunnerFanMN

4RunnerFanMN New Member

Member:
    I use Corrosion X (red can) and also Corrosion X XD. I have used their Corrosion X HD product, but like the newer version XD much better.

I like how Corrosion X and XD creep on the frame, etc.

Feel that these choices are like engine oil and filters, etc. to the perspective owner.

20. Oct 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    wolfman

wolfman [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looks like he hasn't spoke much more about the Surface Shield since that one video where he said they gave him the products for the review.

21. Oct 15, 2022 at 6:32 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    He has this one, which after watching his earlier ones on fluid film I felt he knew his shit. https://youtu.be/NE1_EiZIVHs

It
    ”s also new, but is available in gallons now. I look forward to his review on the truck. I had my 4Runner done in the spring and will have it done again soon. The guy who sprayed it for me uses Fluid Film, but is looking forward to seeing how it looks. I have used both fluid film and wool wax previously and both are good.

here is a follow up from some one else.
    https://youtu.be/vf8N2AkHXV4

22. Oct 15, 2022 at 7:24 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    My guess is that if you use any of these products regularly we have to be doing ok.

I would try different products also but for me I am at the mercy of the place that sprays mine. It must be a job for those doing it yourself if you don’t have access to a lift etal.

Spare Parts likes this.
  23. Oct 17, 2022 at 9:55 PM
    Mitsch25

Mitsch25 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    I just did mine 2 weeks ago. Definitely a workout but for sure worth it. Was my first time and took me a good 2¹/² hours. I wore a N95 mask, safety glasses on one of those painter overalls. Highly recommended..lol. I did use FF and a 24 inch wand with 360 nozzle( Amazon) for inside the frame. That nozzle attachment is a PITA I can tell you that. For the rest I did go with PB Blaster after I watched that video mentioned above. It definitely goes on a bit thicker than FF, perhaps like Woolwax, I don't know. Smell was maybe a bit better but who cares. I did cover the brakes with trash bags and that worked perfect. Time will tell how good PB Blaster really is but so far I like it.

Spare Parts and STrooper like this.
  24. Oct 18, 2022 at 7:38 PM
    WiscoJimbo

WiscoJimbo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Sr5 Premium
    Has anyone used NH Oil Undercoating (NHOU)?

25. Oct 19, 2022 at 4:45 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I have not, are you in NH looking for undercoating?

26. Oct 19, 2022 at 6:31 AM
    WiscoJimbo

WiscoJimbo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Sr5 Premium
  27. Oct 19, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I knew that was a brand, I did not realize they were available that far beyond NH and New England. I was asking as. I know someone, a couple folks actually, who spray undercoating in the NH area.

WiscoJimbo[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Oct 19, 2022 at 11:04 AM
    Badger4runner72

Badger4runner72 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Barcelona Red ORP
    Could you provide links of the undercoating people you know in NH? I'm assuming you have dealt with them before and were happy with their work. Thanks

29. Oct 19, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    WiscoJimbo

WiscoJimbo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner Sr5 Premium
    Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, there is one near me in Wisconsin.

30. Oct 19, 2022 at 1:06 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    I have a guy in Fryeburg Maine that I have used twice and am going again this fall. And I know another guy in the Conway NH area that has done some mechanical work for me and is just starting up the fluid film side of things. Neither are official business. I connected with both via Tacoma World when I owned my taco.

Products Discussed in

To Top