1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flashing light and clicking sound when rolling backwards

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by SouthernRunnerGuy, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Oct 16, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    SouthernRunnerGuy

SouthernRunnerGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Off Road
    20" black rims with Terra Grapplers, awaiting a Overland build.
    I have a 2017 4 Runner TRD Off Road and when im on an incline and start to roll backwards there's a flashing light on the dash and a clicking sound under the truck real loud clicking noise. What is this?

2. Oct 16, 2017 at 8:19 PM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium - Gray
    Betcha it’s your hill assist control. Totally normal though it can be alarming. In most situations my 4Runner and also my old Tacoma will hold in place when starting on a hill, but that dash alarm goes nuts if the truck stars rolling back while in drive. Can’t remember which conditions exactly cause the truck to hold in place or roll. It freaked me out the 1st time, though.

mrmike7189, Trd361 and Bob like this.
  3. Oct 17, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    Svereb

Svereb New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey Trail
    Southen Style Offroad bumper, K02s
    That's it. Would do it in my driveway if I was not fast enough.

4. Oct 17, 2017 at 7:20 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Yea, it would. I've run up on a rock and it rolled slightly back and the lights and chattering starts. It's normal, just a little offputting at first since you weren't ready for it.

5. Oct 17, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    SouthernRunnerGuy

SouthernRunnerGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Off Road
    20" black rims with Terra Grapplers, awaiting a Overland build.
    OH ok cool, yes it freaked me out. The only time I have ever heard that sound was when my transmission came apart going 85 mph so I got nervous when the clicking started then it stopped so I thought I may be part of that system but wasn't sure.

6. Oct 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    TN_TRAIL

TN_TRAIL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF RD PREM
    oh the list....!
    No, it is the lousy way that toyota has with dealing with rearward drift. Strangely enough, my Outback has a button for "hill holder" that that will actually HOLD the vehicle on an incline... what an idea!! do you think that a 40K off road vehicle would be smart enough to either HOLD the vehicle in place, or just allow the drift to occur without being extremely annoying? ummm, no. The noise is the brakes being cycled rapidly for a few seconds before it figures you "wanted" the rearward drift to occur. Please don't get me started about "holes" in Japanese products. On the bright side, they WILL EVENTUALLY get the bugs worked out, IF (underlined fourteen times) the product has enough following and competition to 'justify' the capital expenditure to fix. (only they don't see it as a fix, they see it as an enhancement, or refinement, or polish.... ) Arrgh.

JeepRunner likes this.
  7. Oct 19, 2017 at 6:53 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Honestly TN_TRAIL, I think in 4Lo it does hold, because I was shocked once when it did it. I think I had MTS on or something, I'll have to test that theory and get back with you.

But in 2Hi or 4Hi, yea...it's kinda dumb.

8. Oct 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    the reason these roll back on a small slope is low engine torque. none of my V8 vehicles ever rolled back on my driveway. so my new 2016 T4R rolls back as I change from reverse to drive then the rear bumper hits my boat trailer creating a ding in the soft plastic bumper.. the clicking is the brake assist turning on the brake fluid pump so it acts like a GM vehicle when it senses wheels slipping in the brake mode..only it works opposite .. toyota and the brake assist is scary at times.

9. Sep 16, 2020 at 12:59 AM
    JeepRunner

JeepRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner trail
    Is there any way to turn this off?
    First time this happened I was stopped on an incline. I started to drive forward and my 4.runner rolled back a little and this weird warning light started flashing. The troubling part is when I tried to accelerate my vehicle would not move forward, it just kept rolling back.

10. Sep 17, 2020 at 5:39 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    this is common my drive way has a slope.. so it does roll back a bit then the brakes come on intermittently..
    now if you put you left foot on the brake pedal then the vehicle will not move with your right foot on the gas pedal ..

DRobs likes this.
  11. Sep 17, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    JeepRunner

JeepRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner trail
    Thanks, Captain Obvious. My First response was to hit the brake (with my left foot ) to stop the roll back.
    I just find this feature incredibly annoying and not at all useful. Just MHO.
    My question was, is there any Way to disable this feature?

12. Sep 18, 2020 at 6:30 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    the PCM is programed to have this software. dealership will not do it because of a safety issue.
    a couple of times driving on the hywy when I have my work boots I hit the brake pedal with my foot on the gas pedal and then the engine drops to idle ...the pedals are too close compared with my old GM vehicles..
    my friend had a person hit the gas pedal when in the parking area in front of his store then the vehicle smashed up the store front car was in the store... that is why this is a new software to stop incorrect foot actions.

13. Sep 18, 2020 at 6:51 AM
    JeepRunner

JeepRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4Runner trail
    Thank you for the info. I’m a new 4Runner owner so I’m still getting used to my vehicle and all the technology . I drove a simple straight forward Jeep ( no fancy bells and whistles)for years...
    I kinda miss the simplicity.

I think I experienced that drop to an idle issue when I was trying to accelerate forward. When I pressed on the gas pedal, there was a momentary loss of resistance and no power or acceleration. It was a bit concerning as even though I d stopped the rollback it took a few moments before my 4 runner would accelerate.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  14. May 24, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    I'm not sure if the 4Runners still have this feature, but: Toyota decided that when you step on the brake, you must be stopping, and don't need the engine RPM up. So the ECU will cut off the injectors if the RPM are above a certain point. 1200 RPM maybe? Once the RPM drop below the critical number, it allows the injectors to function normally again.

Is it possible that when you hit the brake pedal, accidentally, the RPM reduction feature kicked in, and it needed a second or so to turn the injectors back on, so to speak, so that you could accelerate?

Just a thought.

I've got big feet, and it's bloody embarrassing to hit the brake pedal by accident, especially when trying to accelerate, working up through the gears. I agree, Toyota puts the pedals too close together.
    Really, when you think about it, these trucks are designed around the Japanese body type, which tends to be somewhat smaller than the American. I wager the pedals are fine for smaller feet. I could be wrong, though.

The funny thing about the whole thing, though, is that I've never had a bit of trouble with the pedals with my 87 pickup. I think it's configured identically to the 4Runner, but still.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺

15. May 24, 2021 at 8:45 PM
    Trd361

Trd361 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium 4WD MG
    I just experienced this today. Frescoes me out. I have a 2018 Limited 4wheel drive. I thought it messed up my full time 4wheel drive

mrmike7189 likes this.
  16. May 25, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Definitely an annoyance of the vehicle. It straight freaked my girl out one time and she was afraid she was hurting the vehicle. What's annoying about it to me is that it doesn't even seem to accomplish anything except for scaring you. It doesn't actually HOLD the vehicle, which is something that other brands have no problem doing (such as a VW with a MT).

The first time it happened to me, as I rolled back off of a large rock, I too thought I hurt something. But what is crazy is that my 4Runner will do this even if I am on the SLIGHTEST incline and hesitate to punch the gas.. and then once it starts clicking, it's like the gas pedal is less responsive, so it wants to roll back more, click more... aahhhghghghg

Toyotas.

17. May 25, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    I think if you hold the brake hard (basically standing on pedal) for a few seconds in triggers hill stop too doesn't it?
    Or that might have been in Highlander.

Products Discussed in

To Top