1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Successful Offroad Recovery

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by FN2187, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Nov 24, 2022 at 6:28 AM
    FN2187

FN2187 [OP] Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera

Vehicles Involved:
    Semi-pimped 2019 TRD ORP
    Battery powered golf cart (yeah, it's this kind of story :yes:)

Situation:
    Visiting family for Thanksgiving. Yesterday, dad wanted to take my daughter and I for a ride on the golf cart with knobby tires. After driving down the road to a friend's farm and around the woodland trails, we start back up the hill beside the goat and donkey pen. We were maybe halfway up when the golf cart died. No slowing down, no warning, just instant death like a vampire that had a wooden stake driven through its heart.

Aftermath:
    Only about 1-1.5 miles from home but dad is a disabled veteran and did good to make it to the top of the hill. So, we called mom... she was piiiiissed. Why were we so far from home? Why were we offroading the golf cart? Probably all logical questions for someone not enjoying themselves on an offroad adventure.

Recovery:
    Once picked up and driven home by mom and my wife, dad and I hooked up his trailer to the 4runner and drove back to the farm. Had I not exercised the winch before the road trip I would have used it for shits and giggles to pull the cart up the hill. For a speedier recovery I dropped the trailer at the top of the hill, backed down to the golf cart, and pulled out the unused tow strap and soft shackles. Hooked tow strap around the front end of golf cart and soft shackle around the triball of the trailer hitch (i know, i know - don't use the ball of a hitch for recovery. But this wasn't a 6k lb monster machine buried in mud, just a golf cart - hitch mount recovery shackle was in the recovery gear bag at home). Used 4H to pull it up the hill so I didn't tear up the land. Once topside, was able to push it onto the trailer on the 2nd try (note to self - a single axle trailer acts like a lever if something heavy is pushed onto it when the tongue isn't hooked to a vehicle to keep it down :facepalm:).

All in all, there was a lot of huffing and puffing by many parties about how we ended up in the situation and the amount of time spent fixing it. I, however, enjoyed the experience of my first "successful offroad recovery". It will be a Thanksgiving story to remember.

Hope you all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Spare Parts, 2Toys, Ironguy and 2 others like this.
  2. Nov 24, 2022 at 7:12 AM
    Dabigono

Dabigono Just Joined

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner
    Sounds like an awesome adventure with Dad and daughter!

Good memories for sure…

3. Nov 24, 2022 at 8:21 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Happy Thanksgiving and happy trails.

4. Nov 24, 2022 at 5:51 PM
    FN2187

FN2187 [OP] Stormtrooper

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD ORP w/ KDSS
    Victory 4x4 Blitz front bumper Smittybilt 10k Synthetic Gobi Stealth no-rise RCI sliders Rago panels and shelf, dash mount RCI Alu skids Dobinsons 2.5/1.5 285/70 Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek SSO Hitch Mounted Swingout Anytime Front/Rear Camera
    Thanks everyone. Daughter will probably never remember we "got stuck". She used the opportunity to feed the goats and donkey fallen leaves and was enjoying herself. I found the experience quite enjoyable myself! Nobody was hurt and we were spending time together

Spare Parts likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top