1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First long trip in the 95 4runner...lessons learned

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Waynes, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Sep 12, 2021 at 7:07 PM
    Waynes

Waynes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3vze
    The wife and I just got back from Utah, {we live in Missouri} and had a great time. All of the work and money was not wasted. The new motor got 17/19 MPG highway and it seemed like as we put the miles on it the power level went up and up. I never put so much as a wrench or screw driver to the rig for the entire 3000 mile trip. Most places in Utah are either going uphill or down. Uphill, she is still a turd, but so much improved! Ran 75mph all the way through Salt Lake City like a champ.
    Some of what I learned:
    On long grades turn off the cruise control so the tranny wont over compensate.
    This rig likes to run 70/75 on the highway, better power on uphill grades.
    Kudos to Engine Monster out in Colorado Springs. The long block was so easy to install and has performed without flaw for 6500 miles so far.

The old girl has 338,000 miles on it. If I could go back to 1995 and buy a new one, it would not have performed any better.

SlvrSlug and GrantA like this.
  2. Sep 12, 2021 at 7:13 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Nice work and congrats

3. Sep 13, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    Congrats. Did you do the work yourself or someone else?

4. Sep 16, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    Waynes

Waynes [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3vze
    I did it. The biggest problem I ran into was me. I did the EGR delete, and left a bolt out of the front of the manifold that wasNot blind. Made a vacuum leak that I like to never found! The long block I bought from Engine Monster in Colorado Springs was done right, for a good price. I also went with new OEM parts on most everything, like oil pump,etc. I'm retired so was not under time constraints. Was alot of fun.

trlhiker likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top