1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Gen Toyota 4quoia with a (2uz-fe) v8 (start up post 230)

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (1984-1989)' started by 36tacundra, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Feb 19, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    You even got to wheel it! It has already seen more offroad then the majority of 4 runners :devil::dancingbroccoli:

2. Feb 22, 2021 at 7:22 PM
    36tacundra

36tacundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Asking a dealer or a shop to work on this think would be a sick joke.

I found 2 people who are doing a swap with 4.7s and both used ac delco belt 6k615 to use without AC.
    I had the same problem I still had the ac pump on to use just as a pully.
    Since they already had the problem solved, I went for it.
    Yesterday I spent 2 hours or so trying to get it to work. The belt was to small.
    I ended up ruining the drive belt tensioner.
    So today I called around and found out there are two options for tensioners.
    One is 90 and the other is 105 cm or metric whatever.
    I got the small one.

So this is where the sick joke begins.
    In a Sequoia, the job can be done without removing much. LOL!
    Not mine.

Drain engine coolant.
    pull battery.
    remove upper and lower cooling hoses.
    unbolt inside cooling fan and squeeze out into area battery was located.
    remove transmission cooling lines and fittings from radiator so radiator can be removed.
    unbolt power steering pump and set it to the side.
    unbolt alternator and set it to the side.
    remove passenger side timing cam cover.
    remove small plastic timing cover that lays over drive belt tensioner.
    Now the drive belt tensioner can be removed.
    Install new one.

Now install new drive belt to verify fitment, because now with a smaller pully on the tensioner the old belt will be to big.

It was tight, but it fit!

Now remove ac pump and install all above items in reverse order.

It really has no room.
    I will have to just about the same for an alternator, if and when it goes bad.

IMG_2134.jpg IMG_2135.jpg IMG_2136.jpg IMG_2137.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpgIMG_2133.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  3. Feb 24, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Well... The other day, I took some time to connect the power steering pump to the reservoir. I had to extend a line. It wasn't a big deal. I filled it with fluid and started up the engine. My dad told me it needed more fluid, but I looked under the truck first and saw where it all went.

Today I went under the truck to see what it was. Whenever I put in the steering rack or the power steering hard lines into the frame, I did not connect the non pressured line. It was just hanging out. Sounds like a five minute fix right? WRONG, not when you cram a v8 where it does not belong. It would be a lot easier to dismount the engine mount and lift the engine up and out of the way, or do it before mounting the engine.
    I had to take off the skid plate. I took out the bolts for the front diff, so the diff would hang down a little lower. just to get enough room to put my hands in there. It was a pain.

After the truck ate up my hands a bit. I scabbed together the exhaust manifold. Man my welds look like shit. I was in a hurry and there is still no room. I kept moving forward though. I got the exhaust manifold around the steering shaft piece by piece. I cut off the cat. It did not fit with the angle of the down pipe. I will have to cut it and rotate it also.
    Guess what? The cat wants to occupy the space the e brake, gas tank, and all the other parts want to be. I got to get that figured out.

So I did fire the engine with exhaust ran to the tip of the cat. It was a bit quieter. I was able to get the air out of the power steering pump, so that is working now.

So that boiled down to todays progress, a little bit quieter and got me some power steering!

4. Mar 5, 2021 at 8:00 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Today I mounted the ABS pump module. I took the pump off the bracket. The bracket would have made the abs module to high in the engine bay, so I cut the bracket apart. I welded it together with the abs mount about a half inch lower. I was able to use one mounting bolt on the wheel well. This was to the front of the truck. The rear mount had to be raised a inch or so. I used the lower control a arm alignment cams to build a lift. I cut about an inch off trimmed it up and welded a 12mm nut on both ends.
    IMG_2154.jpg

Then the inside mount had to be raised a 2.5 to 3.5 inches. It looks a bit ugly, but I can always change it later. I used the big flat cam marks on both sides to make a larger surface for stability. Like the small spacer, I welded 12mm nuts in the ends.
    IMG_2153.jpg

In this photo it can be seen the mounts to the fender side are higher than the part that holds the abs module.
    IMG_2151.jpg
    and now it is mounted. Making new brake lines will be a bit of a chore. I start by cutting the stock Sequoia lines in half at the fire wall.

My goal is to get an idea how they will go and if they work out, I will have a pattern to follow.
    IMG_2155.jpg
    One line is going to work out without any trouble. From the abs pump module to the front right wheel. It would be nice if they were all that way.
    The next thing I did was separate the main lines from the brake booster to the abs module. I cut 7 or 8 inches out of the middle to get close.

IMG_2156.jpg

This gives me the pattern I need to make new lines. Its to bad that the original lines are not a bit more pliable. I would be able to make it work. Here is where I left off.
    IMG_2157.jpg

5. Mar 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    One line was going to work until I stripped the threads. I had to change out the junction block. I cut it off the bracket and welded on a new one. I then made my first line from the rubber line to the wheel to the junction block. I then used the one line that would work as a pattern. this is what I came up with.
    IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg

On the drivers side, the tacoma frame has two lines going to the rear. I will be using each line seperatly now for each wheel to have a direct supply of brake fluid. I had to add a 3rd junction block for the front wheel. I also had to change the middle junction block to a non splitter block. It had originally went to the front wheel.IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg
    Now that I have these put in place, I can now run the drivers side front wheel. I will use the line from the abs pump module for a guide. Once I get across the firewall I may be on my own. Maybe a coat hanger will be of use.

nimby, SlvrSlug and POOLGUY like this.
  6. Mar 10, 2021 at 5:55 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Engineering a project like this is not always pretty, but your determination is commendable. Nicely done Sir!
    Who needs an LS? 2UZ! 2UZ! 2UZ!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  7. Mar 15, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Got all 4 tires connected to the abs pump module. Its not pretty, but not that bad either. I should be getting the 1/4 inch line tomorrow. Two more lines and I can start dumping brake fluid into it.
    IMG_2175.jpg

I am going to run the 1/4 inch lines above the lip on the firewall.
    IMG_2176.jpg
    The lower lines are held in two places with stock brake line brackets. I think there is another one that attaches to the firewall lip on the passenger side. I got to go find it.

IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2180.jpg
    Maybe tomorrow I will get a break... LOL!

8. Mar 17, 2021 at 8:34 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    The 1/4 inch lines were more of a pain to run. I was not able to bent tight enough corners. Today I got a new bender. I got them ran.
    IMG_2186.jpg
    The heater control valve got in my way on the top line. I wanted to attach the line a 3rd time, but the bolt head of the heater control would have rubbed the line.

I got to put brake fluid in today. I have felt the brakes, but... the leaks have began to appear. Mostly just a bit tighter to make a quick fix. The biggest problem is the rear 1/4 inch line from the ABS to the master cylinder(lower line on the firewall). On the abs side, it leaks no matter how tight. I may need to remake the whole line. This was the 2nd try for this line as it hit the hood when closed (the rear line hit the hood support near the plastic window washer fluid clip). That is the reason I run them to the front. I will look forward to tomorrow for luck. Keeping my fingers crossed.

9. Mar 19, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    It seems I like to learn the hard way. Its like a leaking dam and bubble gum. I have been making double flairs. I need to make metric bubble flairs. I just ordered,
    Mastercool 72475-PRC
    I will be ordering new rolls of brake line too. I get to start over again, YEAH!

10. Mar 23, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    New brake line and flaring tool will not arrive until Friday. I did get a new heater core also (that will be fun). It will give me the opportunity to finish the dash wiring so it's not a big deal.

Oh, and there is a new toy to play with.
    IMG_2214.jpg
    2005 Toyota 4runner SR5 2x4 4.7 VVTI. I wonder what I will do with it???

11. Mar 26, 2021 at 9:02 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Went on a field trip today to the muffler shop. First time it has left the property. Shure is quiet until stepping on the peddle. He got it high and tight. I will get some photos of the exhaust tomorrow.
    IMG_2217.jpg

nimby, POOLGUY, SlvrSlug and 2 others like this.
  12. Mar 28, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Crawled under to take a look and some photo's. I like it. Maybe the muffler is a bit to high. I have to get a heat shield above it. The left cat was moved forward and turned on its side.
    IMG_2224.jpg
    I also got to extent the o2 sensor.

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg
    Way to make use of a clamp, Nice and affordable.
    IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

Here is the flaring tool and the metric bubble flair.
    IMG_2219.jpg
    Now the brake lines can be remade with proper ends. Just have to wait for the line to get here.

There is still plenty to do though. Since it has been running without the emissions, there is two cylinder misfires. I suspect it has been dumping improper amounts of fuel into the engine, or the fuel tank being near empty leading to clogged injectors. So I'm not sure witch one caused the problem, but it now runs like #$%@. Its 4 and 7, witch really suck because 7 is the one that has to have the brake booster removed to pull the coil. Guess number 4 will be a good place to start.

One exhausting step forward and two cylinder misfires backwards, LOL!

13. Mar 29, 2021 at 9:57 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Been sidetracked for a min. Nothing new, but the brake lines have arrived. Will be trying to get some lines done tomorrow. Here is the side photo of the exhaust pipe that crosses over from drivers side.
    IMG_2235.jpg

And since I don't have much progress. Here is the new t4r.
    IMG_2234.jpg

14. Mar 31, 2021 at 9:53 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    So I finally got started on remaking The brake lines. Got the two from the frame to the rubber line to the calipers. Then got the one from the abs to the front passenger frame. That one is complete. Also got one ran from the abs to the frame connected to a rear wheel. The flaring tool makes a huge difference. Wow, like night and day. I would say Its one tool you only have to buy once. Its worth it. I would not have ever considered using a cheap tool had I known how easy this would be. That being said, I guess I should wait and see if I got leaks before bragging of how well it works. I hope I did not damage the flare seats while using the wrong flare. If it leaks it just wouldn't be flare, LOL!

Singleminded, SlvrSlug and nimby like this.
  15. Apr 1, 2021 at 3:44 AM
    Toyofan87

Toyofan87 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Blue & Grey Hwy Gburg
    Vehicle:
    1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    IMG_20190104_121208_burst_01_kindlephoto-195229841.jpg
    Me too, owned my beloved 87 for 20 years straight, still running strong when sold locally, 295ks. Loved that truck!
    Note: Pop up sun roof, My cigar venting area.

16. Apr 5, 2021 at 7:28 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    That's a nice one. Do you miss it?

Toyofan87[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Apr 5, 2021 at 7:43 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I ran the last of the small lines today. I don't know if I am getting better but it looks good. Here is the comparison.
    1st attempt
    IMG_2176.jpg

And the second try.
    IMG_2250.jpg
    It definitely looks cleaner at the ABS pump module. So I am happy about that but once it goes down the firewall it gets a little bumpy.
    Oh well if I have to do it again, maybe I'll get it smoother.
    IMG_2251.jpg

The difference is the a line tools. I got a line straightener and a tighter line bender.

18. Apr 5, 2021 at 8:22 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch

Looks really good! Great work!

19. Apr 10, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I have been dragging a## on finishing the lines. I did not want the disappointment of having it leak. I finished up the large lines yesterday. It can be a bit frustrating. Here is the first attempt.
    IMG_2186.jpg

And the second attempt
    IMG_2253.jpg
    Definitely came out cleaner this time.

Guess what?
    It still leaks on this line. I do believe I did damage the pump module seat for this line with the use of the wrong flair. Monday I will go fishing for another. I Its out of an 02 so it should be the same.

Since having the exhaust done, after driving it on and off the trailer, it has really been running rough. Originally I had thought it was from not having the evap canister hooked up. While that is still a factor. I did find some melted wires on top of the muffler. They go to the gas tank. The fuel pump, pressure sensor, and the evap box. So while I wait for Monday, im going to get the wires fix, mount the evap box, and get the lines ran.

20. Apr 10, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Today I went and got the evap canister lines. While there I also pulled the heat shields, fuel fill spout, and the axles. All of this from the original 01 sequoia.
    IMG_2254.jpgThe large heat shield on the left is the one for the muffler. I was even able to shimmy it up there half assed(more on this later). I got the wires off the muffler. Not repairing them, but off. On the fuel fill spout, there is the main fill line with the vent. The 3rd and short line goes to the evap box.
    I may need to see if I can get it to work.

After that I went to take a peek at the abs module line that is leaking.
    IMG_2258.jpg
    A light colored ring can be seen. That is where I tightened the double flare into the seat. It is a grove. It almost looks like a cracked seat.

Last week I helped a family member put in a fuel filter on a 95 tr4. It came with 4 gaskets. 2 washers and 2 little curved washers. I guess they were for the inside of the line. We were not able to seat them to center.
    IMG_2263.jpg
    When trying to put them in off center, they were marred a bit. I went to see if the part store had any fuel filters with these little washer in them.

I was thinking they may help with the seal. They did not find any. While waiting, I saw a shinny penny on the counter. An idea came to me.

If I could drill a hole in the penny and get it round, I maybe could put it in the new flaring tool.
    It would then be the same shape. Anyway, I took the used washer and put it in the flaring tool and it came out off center.

It is the one pictured above. I went to drop it in the hole, but the flaring tool made it wider. The other one did fit. It dropped right in. I tightened it up. Than began bleeding the brake system again.

It made the seal! I didn't see any leaks. Now since it had been running so bad, I wanted to get the evap box installed, but I couldn't wait to try the brakes.

So I fired the engine and it sounded better. It turns out the wires that were melting on the muffler were grounding out. I hopped in to try it out. Bank and forward, back and forward, back and forward again.

It was good. Maybe a little soft, but not bad. I got my wife and we went for a bit of a test run around the block.

(The more I was referring to)
    We back out and I could hear metal scraping. It was the heat shield rubbing on the drive line. It was just slide it back on and go. We must have went around three or four times. We had to stop a few more times for the heat shield.

Then we get back. My house keys were not in my pocket anymore. I guess they fell out when stopping to slide the heat shield back on. Being a little important, we took back off to find them. They were no where to be found until we got back to the driveway. They were right on the ground but guess what was lying next to them.

MY PHONE!!!

It had tire marks on it. LOL! It was already cracked, but the 4quoia finished it off.

I had so much fun, I didn't even care. It was awesome being able to drive around the block with the wifey. Still under 2 years but man its a lot of work. It's been really frustrating with the breaks. I didn't know how they were going to be solved.

So there is still a small leak on the master cylinder. The front line is leaking a little. I got to find some more of the little washers. I even dug the box out of the recycling. I will order another fuel filter just to get them. LOL

It got here on its own power and stopped. I should have taken a video, but the battery was dead.
    It was a good day.
    IMG_2260.jpg

21. Apr 12, 2021 at 3:31 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
  22. Apr 12, 2021 at 3:44 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
  23. Apr 12, 2021 at 4:53 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
  24. Apr 13, 2021 at 4:03 AM
    Archangel

Archangel My name isn't Jake!

Member:
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    18 Silver T4R ORP
    Yokohama Geolandar M/T's
  25. Apr 13, 2021 at 10:43 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
  26. Apr 14, 2021 at 11:34 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    When I had my wife sitting next to me, and we backed out of the driveway, I looked at her and a tear nearly dropped from my eye. Its been a brain scramble for sure. A year and a half or so brain scramble. But we are smiling now!!!!

27. Jun 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    So I got a front end alignment. I got the 3 day trip permit to put it on the road. Made sure to insure it with collision. I took it on the beach a few times. recently, I got the opportunity to pull a stuck jeep out of the sand. That was fun. I thought for sure it would bury itself, but It just goes. I took my dad for a ride. He thinks the front tires come off the ground. Its fun if you hit the rpms and gears just so. Punch it at 25mps or so and it shifts the weight to the rear and the air intake gets loud. I must have done it well... a lot. I took my nephew for a ride and it didn't really do it. I thought to myself how heavy is he. Then I realized it was in 4 hi AWD. Its fun. I need to take it to the state patrol for inspection. Get me some license plates. I got to say for sure, this is just awesome!

Moon Landing, nimby and Singleminded like this.
  28. Jun 24, 2021 at 2:58 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Fantastic! What a great job you did with this!

29. Jun 24, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    We're going to need some more video when you have time.

30. Jun 25, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    wrightwilliams

wrightwilliams New Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    16' Nautical Dobinsons Full kit, 285 ko2,Prinsu Rack Cali Raised 40', Alpharex Luxx, 21' MGM XP Predator with Ironman Stage 1
    Nice

Products Discussed in

To Top