1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Gen Toyota 4quoia with a (2uz-fe) v8 (start up post 230)

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (1984-1989)' started by 36tacundra, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Aug 23, 2020 at 11:05 PM
    36tacundra

36tacundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    My wife spotted this out her window.
    IMG_1802.jpg IMG_1801.jpg IMG_1807.jpg
    Nice blacktail! It's the widest rack I have seen in out neighborhood. We have a apple tree, so we get the doe's and fawns all the time. This was rare.

I manage to figure how to run the sequoia back window switch off the stock 89 power antenna switch. I moved it from the left nee area to above the radio. Its not hard wired yet. I need to whisper to the truck and see where it will go.
    This is the sequoia switch.
    IMG_1813.jpg
    The Red/blue wire at the bottom is the source and the up/down are up and down.

and the 89 power antenna switch
    IMG_1814.jpg
    The Red/Green wires at the top are the source and the up/down are the up and down.

So I just took the pig tail with the antenna switch and put the wires into the 01 sequoia plug to test.
    IMG_1812.jpg
    The wires in the photo above are not color correct. I was not able to get the correct colors.
    The switch is set above the radio and works proper. It is just set with black tape for now.

SR5 Limited, nimby and POOLGUY like this.
  2. Aug 24, 2020 at 3:19 AM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '08 4RUNNER
    Nice deer.

3. Aug 28, 2020 at 8:50 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    So I went and put heat duct in in a half-wit attempt to see how it would go. It looks like the windshield defrost, center vents, and floor vents will not be a problem. Butttttt..... the outside dash vents and the glove box back will be difficult. As far as the glove box goes, I'll cut it up till it closes. The back top portion of the glove box contacts the computer.

The outside vents and what to do with them. Should I even care? If heat is a concern, the v8 will put out plenty. Should I just block off the outside vents and move forward? Or should I try to find a smaller ducting and try to patch it together? The passenger vent has a bunch of wiring crowding the pathway. The drivers side vent has a new steering column and a larger fuse box fighting for space.

The wiring systems steal needing integration are;

E locker
    rear window wiper
    cab to evap canister, abs, and fuel tank wiring

Other things to do;

run brake lines
    run fuel lines and vents
    install a fuel fill spout.

Maybe making a list will help, LOL
    Doesn't look like much of a list.

SlvrSlug and nimby like this.
  4. Aug 29, 2020 at 12:05 AM
    odonekanobe

odonekanobe New Member

Member:
    I think the biggest pro for having those side vents working is for door window defrosting/defogging. I don't think the 1st gens had another specific vent for this do they? Living in the PNW, I rely on them often.

5. Sep 3, 2020 at 2:04 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    No, but now that you mention it, I need to go digging for rigs that have separate little vents for defrost. Maybe I can make something work.

6. Sep 3, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I managed to put in some work. Its not much. The rear view mirror has now been placed. The mirror is from a lexus car. just a power and a ground. The most difficult part was fishing the wire through. I used a plastic vacuum line, tapped the wire to it jammed, it poked it, wiggled it, and so on.
    IMG_1830.jpg
    Now it has compass and auto dimming. I think they had the option for temp also, but I not going to bother.

NEXT...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Archangel, nimby and SlvrSlug like this.
  7. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:32 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Cut up the inside of the glove box to fit into the computer.
    IMG_1897.jpg

Now it closes.
    IMG_1895.jpg

Cut up the rear window wiper interior housing to fit the dome light. Got to wire it 2 times because I did not test the dome light housing I wanted.
    IMG_1899.jpg

Wired the cigarette lighter outlet and light. This is the Sequoia plug on the left and the 89 4runner plugs on the right, so replacing parts will be easy.
    IMG_1900.jpg

Also got the glove box light wired up. The ground goes through the switch at the bottom, so when the glove box is opened, the light comes on.
    IMG_1901.jpg

All of this was done today with the exception of the cutting of the back of the glove box. I need this truck to be done.

Singleminded, POOLGUY, nimby and 2 others like this.
  8. Sep 14, 2020 at 7:39 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    So do you need it to be done, so you can start a new project? If not then you are going to be really board because your so used to doing all this work heh-heh, either way kudos to you for sure.

9. Sep 14, 2020 at 9:17 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I really just want to drive it, to hear it run, take it to the beach and stomp on it and see what it does.

10. Sep 14, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I have changed my mind regarding the rear pocket lights. Currently I have each side connected to the door on that side. I now plan on connecting them to to rear door ecu. This will allow both pocket lights to turn on with any door opening including the rear gate. I am also planning on adding 2 more near the rear pocket panels where the rear jack and storage compartment are. So when the rear seats are down, when unlocking and lowering the rear gate 4 pocket lights and 1 dome light will turn on. I was also able to begin working the fuel tank, emissions wiring out under the passenger seat.

11. Sep 14, 2020 at 10:05 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    The Monday night lights.
    IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1920.jpg

Lights come on with drivers, passengers, and rear gate unlock and open gate. 2 main dome lights front and back along with 4 cargo area lights.
    The 4 cargo lights placement is still not set. I still want to put to in the panel pockets, but we will have to see.
    It has been rewired. All the dome lights receive constant power from dome fuse. Ground from back door ecu and body ecu activate lights.
    I will be able to install a switch to turn off and on with doors closed from inside at will.

SlvrSlug, nimby and POOLGUY like this.
  12. Sep 15, 2020 at 9:08 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    So I was messing with the cargo lights some more. I took the stock cargo light with the built in switch and wired it up. So 5 cargo lights and 2 dome lights come on with the doors, and when the doors are closed, the new stock cargo light switch will turn on all 5 cargo lights. It was only a two way switch so I was not able to use it to turn them off completely. The 2 dome lights, like normal can be turned to door, off, and on settings.

Doors closed, lights off.
    IMG_1928.jpg

Stock light switched on.
    IMG_1926.jpg

I have not given up on being able to turn off the cargo lights off completely. I will have to think on it some more.

POOLGUY, nimby and Archangel like this.
  13. Sep 17, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    All the wiring I have done so far, I have butchered the original wiring harness pretty good. I did not want to use 5 pieces of wire to go 5 feet to wire in the rear wiper.

The answer was to go and grab some fresh harness. We had a new arrival of a 88 t4r at my favorite wreaking yard. I was able to get firs crack at it, LOL and came away with a little more than just some wire. It happened to have power windows without the wings, power mirrors (broke), and it was a v6 with a five speed

I got the doors, the interior pocket panels, the rear seats, the gray trim from the broken sun roof along with the handle, the cargo interior panels and some odds and ends.

Anyway here is the wiring from the drivers side from the tail lights to the kick panel.
    It even had the original speaker.
    IMG_1931.jpg

I cut off all of the tape separating the wires I needed from the ones I did not.
    Here it is as a mess.
    IMG_1932.jpg

And this is a pick of the wires I needed to make the rear wiper circuit.
    IMG_1933.jpg
    I installed it roughly trying to verify if it would work. I could here the relay clicking but it was not working at first. I looked at the wiring diagram and realized I did not have a ground that came from the rear gate into the relay. I fished out the ground, hooked it in, but the relay still would only click.

Guess what I had to roll up the rear window, then the wiper worked.
    Now I do have to install it permanently, but at least it works without a bunch of pieces of butchered wire.

14. Sep 17, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Are you an electrician?

15. Sep 18, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    No, just determined. I taught myself how to read wiring diagrams. I have to put in a lot of thought to figure some things out. Its going slower than I want but some times a brake is good in moving forward.

SR5 Limited[QUOTED] and SlvrSlug like this.
  16. Sep 18, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Laid in the new rear wiper wires, tidied them up and wrapped them. Started near the tail lights and worked my way to the wiper/window relay.
    IMG_1934.jpg
    It looks pretty good. I should take a photo of a stock 4runner to compare.

POOLGUY likes this.
  17. Sep 20, 2020 at 1:58 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    1 of 4 cargo lights are set.
    IMG_1936.jpg IMG_1937.jpg

Archangel and POOLGUY like this.
  18. Sep 23, 2020 at 9:42 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    I found a heater cover panel at the wreaking yard. It was broke around the clock area but the center was still intact. I had 2 or 3 at home that the centers were broken out including the spare 88. So the rain came last night and we warmed the home with the wood stove today. So 20 min ago I took the panel with the broken center and warmed it on the wood stove. Then used a pocket knife to gently lift the center. I did not get it out without cracking some more. The key was letting the glue get warmer. That is why I practiced on the broken one first. Then I took the panel with the whole center and broke around the clock and did the same thing. I did not take as long as I then knew were the glue was. I got it out whole and put it together with the other housing. It was still warm and it stuck. Here is a pic of both after it has been done.
    IMG_1941.jpg IMG_1942.jpg IMG_1943.jpg

19. Sep 24, 2020 at 4:12 AM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '08 4RUNNER
  20. Sep 24, 2020 at 6:56 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Dude, I think I speak for everyone when I say please get this truck done. We're all dying with anticipation! Must. See. Final. Pics. :D:hattip:

36tacundra[OP] likes this.
  21. Sep 27, 2020 at 9:04 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    It's killing me! If it weren't for the wife, I may not come into the house. Now that fall has bit me in the a.., I have a few weeks to get things in order for winter.

This week I will be putting the spare 88 back to road ready. I am going to pull the engine since the core support is not connected, and fix the throw out bearing. Then put the core support back in.

As I still wait for my upholstery work (He is not in a hurry because I am not done lol), I am using a second rear seat set up to install for now. I took the covers apart and washed them. At least they smell good now. The metal frames are rusty so I am cleaning them up and painting them black.

So this Friday I will plan to have the 88 on the road and the rear interior installed in the 4quoia from the tail gate to the front seats.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    SlvrSlug, nimby and POOLGUY like this.
  22. Sep 28, 2020 at 2:51 AM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '08 4RUNNER
    Sounds like your going to be very busy this week. Good luck with it.

36tacundra[OP] likes this.
  23. Sep 28, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    It was a progressive day.

The throw-out bearing is now installed. I didn't take a photo. It was kind of ugly, LOL! With the core support out, I was able to pull the engine off the trans., pulled it forward to the right. Just enough to get the bearing off the shaft between the pressure plate. The clutch fork was missing the rubber boot so I was able to put one on. Just like I thought, if the guy who set the engine in would have spun the bearing, he would have been able to hear that it was bad. So the new one is in and the engine and front end are back to where they were at the start of the day. With one exception, the new core support is set in bolted to the frame. The hood pops when the release is pulled, so that's good.

I did also find the time to put the cover on the back of one rear seat. Five more to go. Well here is something to look at.

here are the covers for the 2 back seats and the passenger.
    this one.jpg

here is the wash painted and recovered rear passenger back seat cushion.
    IMG_1946.jpg IMG_1947.jpg
    it is stained but looks ok.

SlvrSlug, POOLGUY and Singleminded like this.
  24. Oct 4, 2020 at 8:37 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Well I did not make last Mondays goal. Some days... I did get the throw out bearing in. Then on the 4quoia, I got all the seats recovered with the passenger side installed. I also got the passenger panels installed.

IMG_1952.jpg IMG_1953.jpg IMG_1949.jpg IMG_1956.jpg IMG_2004.jpg
    I decided to put the pocket light at the rear of the pocket and not the top. This way it shines out enough for the cargo area, but also shines into the valley from the wheel well to the door striker area when the bottom is taken out of the pocket. I am happy with the results.

Tomorrow will be for the 88 and getting it back on the road.

25. Oct 5, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Got to drive the blue 88 around the block today. The engine ran very quiet. I still need to put the bumper and some other small stuff to make it whole again. It might be Wednesday before I get back to the 4quoia, but at leas the 88 won't be needing any attention anymore.

26. Oct 14, 2020 at 10:34 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    The rain came back. I been messing with the 88. I put a seal in the rear of the transfer case, got the license plate lights changed, change the shifter boot, and I put my rear bumper from the 89 on it. I also changed the wheels and tires. I haven't really wanted to work on anything really since the rain came back.

As the 4quoia goes, I still haven't finished wiring the rear wiper relay. I have power to the unit, but I need to run the acc wire from the left kick panel. Once wired, I can install the pocket panel and the rear seat.

POOLGUY, Big_jarv, nimby and 2 others like this.
  27. Oct 19, 2020 at 7:15 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    So I finally got the rear wiper relay power wires wired in. I took out the drivers seat for ease of access. Its funny I wired the main power wire with the wire from the sequoia power seat (has power all time). The ignition on wire I used from the sequoias rear power window. The result is that the rear wiper will remain on when the key is turned to the off position and removed, but it will not turn on unless the key is at the on position. So I may need to wire in a relay for the power to be cut.

Archangel likes this.
  28. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    Being more like the turtle than the hair these days. I got the new windshield in the blue 88 Thursday (NICE!) And I have finished with the window relay wiring. I had one long ground. I shortened it up. I got the wires wrapped up to the drivers seat. I have to wait until the e-locker wiring is set to wrap them the rest of the way. I also finally put in the 3rd of the 4th cargo lights in.
    IMG_2025.jpg IMG_2026.jpg IMG_2027.jpg
    1 pocket panel cargo light to go.

29. Oct 28, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    36tacundra

Member:
    wana play spot the difference? At least there is someone who gets to hunt in city limits.
    IMG_2036.jpg IMG_2037.jpg

It was fun to see the cat put his head up and back down again.

WTXTaco and Archangel like this.
  30. Oct 29, 2020 at 9:09 PM
    36tacundra

Member:
    If you're all like me, then you are tired of hearing about dome lights. The dam dome light are done. I steal need to put some screws in the plastic trim (I still need to wire in a stereo system) so its no big deal now. I also need to attach the vinyl to the rear seat backs. I will be digging out the e-locker wiring. I need to see where, how it will tie in. So many little things to do. I kind of like just working my way from the rear to the front.
    Here are the dome light photo's.
    IMG_2042.jpg IMG_2045.jpg IMG_2049.jpg IMG_2050.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top