1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Firestone Destination A/T Review

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nimby, May 17, 2019 at 1:47 PM.

1. May 17, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    nimby

nimby [OP] in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P 4WD
    Eibach Adjustable Front Shocks; Trail Wheels; 285/70/R17
    I've had these tires on for about a month now and I thought I'd write my initial thoughts.

My Truck: 2018 SR5 Premium 4x4 on Trail wheels. Eibach adjustable front shocks set at 1.6" using stock coils. The rear end is at stock height using stock coils and shocks.

Truck Uses: My truck is primarily a daily driver to work and it transports my family of 4 to the beach, desert, mountains, forest, or wherever else we decide to go on the weekends.

Tire Criteria: I wanted a tire that would perform well in wet and dry pavement, in sand, hard packed dirt, and in the occasional snow we drive through when going to the mountains. I needed them to be quite and comfortable without having that jarring effect you get with tires that have too thick of a sidewall. I didn't want a huge hit to MPG's so I wanted something that was on the lighter side of a 285. Lastly, I wanted the tire to look like it fit the vehicle well, both in size and in tread pattern.

The Contenders: Other tires that I considered were the Michelin Defender LTX M/S's and the BFG KO2. The Michelins are a tire that I have owned before and loved the performance of, but I don't like how they look on the 4Runner for some reason. The tread pattern looks a bit too mild for the 4Runner, IMO. The BFG KO2 is a classic tire with a very solid reputation, but I despise how the tread goes half-way down the sidewall. If they still made the BFG KO, I would have little hesitation going that route.

The Tire Chosen: After some careful research as well as reading reviews, I decided to go with a P285/70/R17 Firestone Destination A/T's. Each tire comes in a 42lbs, which is on the lighter side compared to the competition. I took a risk trying out a P-rating on such a tall tire, but Firestone offers a 90 day satisfaction guarantee, so I gave it a shot. They come with a 50,000 mile warranty and I went with the lifetime rotation, balance, and repair that added a little extra cost per tire. What's cool with the lifetime repair is if you were to destroy a tire beyond their ability to fix it, they measure the amount of tread left and give you money back towards the purchase of a new tire. Lets say you destroy a tire and it has 90% tread left, they will refund you 90% of that tires price.

The Ride: I love the way these ride and they fit the vehicle really nicely. I don't notice much loss of power at all. The rolling resistance is definitely lower than the stock Dunlops and I average about 16 mpg with city/highway combined whereas before, I was getting about 17 mpgs.

Something that surprised me was how smooth these things drive on the road. I can hardly feel the lane dividing bumps when switching lanes. The sidewalls soak up all the little chatter really well. Also, before putting these on, I would usually drive around town in 'Sport' mode because 'Drive' was useless......even with the smaller Dunlops. The shift points were awful and I would often bog up some of the hills in my area. So I thought adding a bigger tire would make 'Drive' around town even more useless. But for some illogical reason, the shift points in 'Drive' with the Firestones dramatically improved.......so much so, that I can actually utilize 'Drive' around town now.

These tires have performed very well in the wet weather, sand, and the dirt that I've taken it in so far. There have been zero hiccups, hesitations, skids, slides, or unpredictability. I have not had a chance to use them in snow yet.

Cons: 1 mpg loss in fuel economy. I honestly don't care about this loss myself (and frankly expected a bigger drop in mpgs), but this is a big deal to some, so for the integrity of the review I will include it.

Conclusion: All in all, I'm really happy with everything relating to these tires. I will update with tread wear and longevity as I continue to use them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    rkwfxd, bill_b, 4runningMan and 2 others like this.
  2. May 18, 2019 at 5:21 AM
    karmatp

karmatp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 4x4
    TRD wheels, 265/70/17 KO2's, Bilstein 5100's .85
    Looks good, tire rack rates them very high also. I like the look also, great looking tire. Thanks for the review.

nimby [OP] likes this.
  3. May 18, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    nimby

nimby [OP] in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P 4WD
    Thank you!

4. May 18, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    I use these on my 2010 Tacoma. I have been happy with them. More of a street light trail tire imo.

I want something more aggressive for my 4runner pro so I will be putting Nitto Ridgegrapplers on it when time.

nimby [OP] likes this.
  5. May 18, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eureka, Calif
    Vehicle:
    8x8: 17 4R & 06 Taco
    Things with stuff, but nothing much
    I've been running them on various rigs since 2013 and like them a lot. I also replaced my spare with a 285 Destination AT, though I don't rotate it in.

nimby [OP] likes this.
  6. May 18, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    nimby

nimby [OP] in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P 4WD
    How has you experience been with them offroad?

Have you used them in snow?

7. May 19, 2019 at 5:57 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eureka, Calif
    Vehicle:
    8x8: 17 4R & 06 Taco
    Things with stuff, but nothing much
    Yes. Quite good both offroad and snow, given the obvious limitations of any AT tire in those situations. Really the only thing they aren't decent at is loose sand.

nimby [OP] likes this.
  8. May 19, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    nimby

nimby [OP] in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P 4WD
    Awesome! Thanks!