1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feeler: End of March - DV, MR, or JT

Discussion in 'California' started by drunner, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Jan 26, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    drunner

drunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    5100s, 885s, Toytec 2" rear, Camburg UCAs, 255/75/17 Duratracs
    Posted this on both TW and T4R, but I know not everyone visits around there and the more exposure the better so I don't do this solo (although I will, heh)

I have the last week of March off for my son's spring break from Monday the 28th until Saturday the 2nd. Unfortunately I can't factor in Sundays because that's when my ex has visitation or this could really be epic. I definitely want to do something for 2-5 days during that time frame. Anyone else want in?

If I do Death Valley, I plan on incorporating an additional side trip into Lake Isabella to see my son's grandfather and will probably camp on the lake or river for a day/night. Probably on the way home because I can hit the 395 to the 178 into the back end. So probably 3 days in DV, a day on the kern, then drive home on the 5th day.

If I do Mojave, I'm thinking a 4 day trip. 1 day drive up to near the starting area and stay at a hotel/motel, then 2-3 days running the road and sight seeing. My son does well on long days in the car, but after a 5-6 hour drive it would be best to stay in a room instead of immediately hitting the dirt.

Maybe Joshua Tree. Berdoo to Old Dale then camp somewhere outside of the campgrounds on BLM land and explore the surrounding areas.

This will be my son's first real multi day camping trip and I'm excited to make some memories. While we can do it solo, for something like this I'm a firm believer in having multiple rigs for recovery purposes as well as socializing. I love my son to death, but after 2 days I may be tempted to leave him in a shallow grave in the middle of the desert. :eek:

One other thing to note. I have not done any of these trails. I'll be following guide books, online trail reports, GPS, and intuition. So one way or the other it's bound to be one hell of an adventure.

2. Jan 27, 2016 at 1:06 PM
    wnelax04sr5

wnelax04sr5 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 4X4 Galactic Gray
    @Utah you still around? you know better than us

Products Discussed in

To Top