1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extended Warranty does it cover motors on windows and console navigation.

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by wlamore, May 30, 2017.

1. May 30, 2017 at 6:11 AM
    wlamore

wlamore [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5
    I have a 2015 4-runner I bought used with 13,500 miles on it. I now have 31, 700 miles and it is getting time to decide if I am going to buy the extended warranty through Toyota. (not a 3rd party warranty, just Toyota platinum).

My question is a lot of the ones I looked at 3rd party do not cover the items most prone to cost you money such as the motors that run the auto windows. I have had a couple of those go out in years past on other cars and recently on my mother's Cadillac. Strange nothing seems to cover these. I am skeptical that if I buy the extended warranty that it will not cover the windows and the navigation, phone etc. console system.

What am I buying the warranty for if they don't cover the basics that costs you additional money out of your pocket plus the cost of the warranty.

Does anyone know a way to get an extended warranty that is a Toyota warranty from Toyota that is from a reputable source.

Thanks for any help.

2. May 30, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    4Runner_Patrick

4Runner_Patrick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO Black
    You can buy the warranty from any Toyota dealer--I got prices from 1550 - 2100 for the 8 year 125.

Toyota Platinum Warranty:

Platinum protection covers virtually all component groups on new vehicles. If your new vehicle's component does not appear on our List of Excluded Components , it is covered by Platinum protection."

"List of Excluded Components
    • Accessory Drive Belts
    • Batteries
    • Body Panels
    • Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes
    • Bumpers
    • Carpet
    • Chrome
    • Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate
    • Dash Cover and Pad
    • Door Trim, Handles and Fabric
    • Filters
    • Fluids
    • Glass (including Windshield)
    • Headliner
    • Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Hinges
    • Hybrid System Main Relays
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack
    • Hoses
    • Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents
      Coupons
    • Lamps
    • Light Bulbs
    • Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners
    • Paint
    • Rotors and Drums
    • Rust and Corrosion Damage
    • Seat Covers
    • Service Plug
    • Shiny Metals
    • Spark Plugs
    • Structural Framework and Wells
    • Tires
    • Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Weather Stripping
    • Wheels and Rims
    • Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)"

TN_TRAIL likes this.
  3. Jun 13, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt New Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    If you're worried about window motors, I've never had any problems with any toyota window motor, including the ones in my 86 4Runner that were submerged in muddy water for 3 days when that puddle was "a little deeper" than I thought...

If the warranty gives you piece of mind, go for it. But let's be honest, they're selling you a product (if they lost money, they wouldn't offer them), which means you are more than likely to be the one paying.

So, you usually don't come out ahead on these things, but...

My crowning glory was with one of those home warranty things (which is basically what the "extended warranties" are) they give you after buying a house. A year later they called wanting to renew it. Cost is $500 a year, and my last house I told them to take a hike. The day before they called, though, I noticed my water heater was throwing rust out the faucets. So I signed up, paid my $500, and immediately filed a claim for the water heater. Then, when and got my $800, I went and bought a $500 WH and had my neighbor help me put it in.

4. Jun 14, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    soflot4run

soflot4run New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 RWD
    I havethe platinmun extended warranty on mine and it does included the window motors/actuators. I have a 2014 SR5 and the drivers side actuator door lock went out. Replaced under warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top