1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine turns off

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by esmegatron, May 16, 2014.

1. May 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM
    esmegatron

esmegatron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi everyone. I have a 00 4runner. I was hoping someone can give me some guidance. My car approx once a month will turn off at a red light. The engine stops like if it was out of gas even though it has half a tank. I try to turn it on butvthe engine doesnt turn. After about 45 minutes i am able to start it. There is no check engine light. I know that a gas pump either dies but it doesn't stall every so often so it can't be that. Any ideas? God bless you.

2. May 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    smkd13

smkd13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner
    Lots now and lots to come
    My buddy just had this issue on a different vehicle and I can't remember what he was saying it was. Your getting air and your getting fuel. How does you battery termial a connections look?

3. May 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    JGlader71

JGlader71 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Platinum 4Runner
    I may be wrong but in one of my other cars the throttle position sensor was weathered down and my rpms would drop dramatically and then the engine would shut down,(this would happen when driving and when stopped) so that may be your problem because after I got it replaced it worked fine!

Bob likes this.
  4. May 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM
    esmegatron

esmegatron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank you everyone and God bless you for trying to help. Ive decided to try changing the crankshaft position sensor. I have learnt that sensors may malfunction even though there is no check engine light displaying.

my battery posts are clean and new.

Products Discussed in

To Top