1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine sounds different after first oil change

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by James P, May 24, 2022.

1. May 24, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    Not sure really. But I think the quote included marbles, which made me chuckle and made it memorable.

Same ballpark though!

2. May 24, 2022 at 6:18 PM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I don't know if the Limited has more sound insulation, but the sound of my motor doesn't bother me. You get that roar when it's warming up. Occasionally it's a bit on the clacky side. But mine has never sounded like there was anything wrong with it. I actually like the sound when you hammer it. Not as sweet as a lot of motors, but really pretty satisfying IMO.

KENTUCKYRUNNER likes this.
  3. May 24, 2022 at 6:32 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    I only really notice when it's idling and I'm not moving. I'm just comparing it to my '03 V8 which you could barely hear it running. It really spoiled me.

And, I actually think it sounds good hammered down. Especially compared to most V6's.

4. May 25, 2022 at 5:16 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    The better half of New York
    Vehicle:
    2022 sr5 premium 4x4 (sold) 2022 ram classic tradesman 5.7L 4x4 (current)
    More quiet vs my 201k 5.3L...cold start that you have the piston slap slapping, the exhaust manifold leak ticking, it’s a song.

5. May 25, 2022 at 5:46 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of piston slap. This does it when cold in cold temps, not so much in warmer months. Once it warms up it sounds AMAZING through a Magnaflow though. Having owned a few of these and other SBC rides is probably why I'm so hard on the 4.0.
    PXL_20220127_212458527.jpg

6. May 25, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Dual VVT-i is a noisy valve train in the 5th gen for whatever reason. Bought mine w 58k miles 7 yrs ago and didn't pay much attention the first day. Cold start the 2nd day I freaked. Sounds like a diesel school bus.

Went on the forums and did some research. One of the Toyota master techs is on the T4R forum and explained the history and functionality of this system.

The Dual VVT-i is used in many different engine variations all over the world. It allows the 1GR-FE to adjust timing on the fly to account for engine load and different octane fuels. It's a great system.

Anyway 100k miles and a LOT of abuse later, she is still a good running beast. On long trips she just gets better and better. The only thing I do differently than anyone else is 3k mile oil changes, which gets me a good bit of ridicule from people who don't even pay for my oil and filters, but so be it.

7. May 25, 2022 at 6:16 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    One of the reasons is that they use solid lifters instead of hydraulic lifters. I am not sure why they do, but that is one reason.

8. May 25, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Based on all the responses about the engine sounding different at times, which I agree with, it seems the OP may have just changed his oil, but it was not the 'cause' of a different sound, just coincidental to noticing it...

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  9. May 25, 2022 at 7:04 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Always wanted one of those, the prices keep going up and up and up. I have a magna flow on the Tahoe it’s pretty mild though. Just wanted a free flowing exhaust when I had to replace the OEM. But yes I am now finding myself pushing the pedal down more on the 4 runner it’s a bit more of a slug vs the V8 of course.

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 26, 2022 at 6:08 PM
    James P

James P [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black SR5 Premium 4x4
    Update with lessons learned:

I purchased the TGMO 0W20 and the Toyota filter kit that I used for my first change at 2k miles from Amazon. Both sellers had positive reviews, packaging, filter media, oil color and consistency- EVERYTHING seemed legit. Just because time has been tight, I was ordering some other stuff anyway, and the dealer is a bit of a drive, Amazon seemed to make sense.

So I did the first change. Engine just did not sound right. Not just noisy. Not just more clacky. MPG slightly down, especially noticeable on my commute. More resistance felt, more engine braking, engine vibes just felt off. I tried to convince myself it was fine, but it just didn’t have that fresh smoothness that dealer oil changes produced on my Tacoma. Kept trying to convince myself everything was fine.

Then I watched a video by the Care Care Nut on YouTube about counterfeit Toyota parts. Checked the second filter I bought on Amazon and it looked totally legit- hologram was shiny, filter media was solid, filter was the right color, etc etc. I checked out the oil against every image I could find online. It also looked totally legit in every way- consistency, color, packaging, etc. Still I just could not believe everything was working right. Not even close.

I went online and realized I could order parts for pickup straight from the local dealer where I purchased my 4runner. Prices for oil and filters are insanely good- significantly less than I paid on Amazon. $45 total
    fo filter and 7 quarts of TGMO 0W20. Ordered an aluminum filter housing to pop in while I was at it. This was also $5 cheaper than on Amazon.

Today I picked up all the goodies from the dealer, drove home, got the 4runner up on ramps and changed the oil again after 250 miles of WTF. I figured $45 was worth it just to see if I was imagining things or if perhaps something had actually been wrong with either the filter, the oil, or both that I ordered from Amazon.

(Side note- Fumoto valve is the JAM- not a drop of oil spilled. Awesome)

Installed dealer-purchased filter and dealer-purchased aluminum housing, and poured in 6.6 quarts of dealer-purchased engine oil. Checked for leaks, fired it up, and took a spin. Guess what: IT’S NIGHT AND F’ING DAY. My engine sounds buttery smooth. SO SMOOTH. My MPG is noticeably improved. RPMs are normal at speed and at idle. Everything is right, just like straight from the dealer.

I have leftover Amazon “TGMO 0W20” that I am sending straight to Blackstone. Will share results.

Y’all are probably smarter than me and never would’ve bought this stuff from Amazon, no matter how legit it seemed, no matter how good the reviews were.

Lesson learned. I am astounded at the difference. I just hope 250 miles of whatever the f that was didn’t drastically reduce the life of my engine. Glad I listened to my gut on this one.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    glwood54, Tmiesowicz and GtownRunner like this.
  11. May 26, 2022 at 8:07 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Glad to hear about! Wow.

Ironically Blackstone and Mr. Fink the ceo are the big backers of ESG.

12. May 26, 2022 at 8:14 PM
    Sandman317

Sandman317 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 AG ORP
    Awesome Formula! Was always fan of the NBM. I had a 99 WS6 and an 02 SS in Sunset Orange Metallic…wish I would have kept at least one of them!

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 27, 2022 at 2:21 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Nice catch!

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 27, 2022 at 5:59 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well that is very interesting, only place I buy auto parts online is rock auto...I don’t trust Amazon and Jeff Bezos is a nerd.

15. May 27, 2022 at 6:32 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Great to hear. Do you have the list of part numbers you ordered from your dealer online?

16. May 27, 2022 at 7:17 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Interesting. My previous oil changed. I had tried to TGMO stuff, I actually did get it on Amazon as well. I looked at the vendors, and I didn't buy the cheapest possible one, I went with one that was from a Toyota dealer. I checked out the packaging, everything looked legit, I think I got the real stuff. I honestly didn't notice a difference. Either way. I've run Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline, and Quaker State synthetics in it, and I honestly don't notice a difference from one to the other.

I had read about the extra Molly in the TGMO stuff, and I was hoping it would quiet the engine down, but I didn't notice any difference. I figured I'd just go back to buying whatever was on sale at Walmart for simplicity. I always use a good oil filter, either a Toyota one or a Napa Gold.

I thought hard about adding a liqui-molly additive to the oil, but decided that wasn't worth potential issues. I had read about the additives possibly falling out of suspension with that product, and I didn't want it to gum up any of the VVTI system.

17. May 27, 2022 at 7:47 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Thanks! Back in '00 I had a 98 Formula, it was a black hardtop with the M6. I traded it in a year or two later on a Grand Cherokee. Then I missed having one, so I picked this 2000 up used in '07. I love the NBM, blue is my favorite color anyway, but I totally love it on this car. It's got tan leather and t-tops. It's an automatic, but having the t-tops was more important to me than the stick.

I was DD'ing it a few summers ago, but I barely drive it anymore, it's actually been off the road for a year because they canceled my registration because the inspection sticker was overdue, I couldn't get it to the inspection station because I had it tucked away for the winter. It desperately needs tires to pass inspection now, the tread is fine, but they're super dry rotted because they're like a decade old. My bad for having tires that old that aren't bald yet, lol. Clearly I'm too easy on the throttle haha.

I'm kind of thinking about selling it, since I really don't want to just let it sit for too much longer. I'm kind of afraid the same thing will happen as last time though, I'll get rid of it and then want to get another one.

18. May 27, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I'll have to check the prices, I've had this for 15 years and haven't been into the scene for quite a few years.. I'm actually kind of thinking of selling it since I don't drive it very often.

It's funny, the magna flow on this is pretty mild too. It's slightly deeper than stock at idle, but the more you get on it the louder it gets. My dad has a magnaflow on his '07 Dakota with a 4.7 liter, and it actually sounds a lot louder oddly enough.

Tmiesowicz[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 27, 2022 at 8:27 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    I think we’ll all be interested to hear what Blackstone reports on the oil you got through Amazon. While counterfeiting is certainly a thing, it’s highly unlikely you received something that was outright unsafe for the engine. These motors are not just noisy, they often sound different day to day. It’s possible that the different engine sounds and feel were a coincidence, not related to the oil and filter. That said, I certainly don’t blame you for erring on the safe side and doing another change with oil and filter from a different source.

Anyway, please do post the Blackstone report!

20. May 31, 2022 at 9:04 AM
    James P

James P [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black SR5 Premium 4x4
    Will do. I sure hope all is well. The reduced MPG’s on the suspect oil are the most concerning aspect.

21. May 31, 2022 at 9:32 AM
    Tmiesowicz

Tmiesowicz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    People make fake thc oil now a days, maybe they make fake engine oil now to some maple syrup and water / thinner

22. Jul 18, 2022 at 2:47 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    I changed my oil yesterday. cranked it up before I put the skid plate back on and the sounds were quite a bit different compared to when I got it back on.

23. Jul 19, 2022 at 2:14 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    I can see this happening. A whole new place for noise to escape as compared to when you put the skid plate back on.

Tmiesowicz likes this.
  24. Dec 19, 2023 at 1:02 PM
    nodents2017

nodents2017 New Member

Member:
    Do you have any updates on this and what your best guess could have been the issue? I just had a similar experience with my 2023 4Runner. Changed the oil at 1000 miles, 2500 miles, 5000 miles and then at 10k miles I noticed a ticking noise (like valvetrain clacking/ticking) when the engine was cold on the first start of the day. The ticking would increase frequency as the RPMs increased until the engine warmed up then was completely fine. Didn’t notice any decline in MPG or engine performance, just an audible ticking/clacking noise. I figured maybe it always made that noise and I just happened to have the air off and radio off at the same time (couldn’t hear the noise with either of those on).

I changed my oil recently at 15k miles and have not been able to get the noise to return. I’ve used Toyota 0w20 and Toyota filter every time purchased directly from the same parts counter at my local Toyota dealer.

You can hear the noise I’m referring to towards the end of this video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/80G_49SNNzI?si=xV21JtMYsu4dQlR2

Products Discussed in

To Top