1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Replacement?

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by lvanholten556, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Jul 13, 2015 at 10:18 PM
    lvanholten556

lvanholten556 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1995 Green 4Runner
    Hi there,

I am relatively illiterate regarding car mechanics but I am trying to learn as fast as I can.

I absolutely love my 1995 4Runner 4x4. The only complaint I have is the lack of power. It is a manual transmission and I usually have to downshift just to get up pretty normal inclines.

Is it at all possible to replace the engine with a newer more powerful v6? Or even a v8? (or would a v8 not physically fit?).

If that is possible, how expensive would labor be to replace the engine?

Thanks so much,
    -LowOnPower

2. Jul 14, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    Utah

Utah Misanthrope

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Land of Fake Beer
    Vehicle:
    The Gray Bastard
    3RZ, OME, 5.29s, 4.7, locked/locked
    The easiest swap for your truck is for a 3.4 V6 from a '96-'02 4Runner or Tacoma. Easy is a relative term, here - that motor will drop in and line up on your transmission and motor mounts, but there's still wiring and other fiddly stuff to do. If you're handy with a wrench and willing to drop $700 on a conversion harness from Offroadsolutions.com or Toyonlyswaps.com, you could conceivably get the swap done in a day or two.

Before you think swap, tune your motor and check your gearing. If you're running bigger than 31" tires, a regear will get you back into the powerband and restore some lost grunt. And a tune up always helps.

3. Jul 14, 2015 at 9:23 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    If you are thinking engine swap I'll throw this out there too. Contact James at the Truck Shop in San Diego CA or the guys at yota masters in Corona CA. Both own 2nd Gens with 3.4 swaps and run professional automotive e shops that only deal with Toyota.

Blue

Products Discussed in

To Top