1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Block plugin

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by PR48, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jun 1, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    PR48

PR48 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Grandson will have his 2004 t4r in Grand Forks ND this winter. We live in the deep south, and never have to worry about the cold weather like they do in ND. I am told vehicle there have engine block adapters installed and there are plugins all over the place.
    Anyone have an experiences with them, advice or guidance on getting one installed, cost etc. Anything which would be helpful/?
    many thanks.

2. Jun 28, 2020 at 10:54 AM
    WMU

WMU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Wabamun, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2006 - 1GR-FE - Ltd - 2007 - 1GRE - Ltd - 2008 - 2UZ - Ltd
    Shrockworks Bumper - Winch - Rock Sliders - Bilsteins - 2 inch lift - Hankook Dynapro MT
    I imported a 2008 V8 into Alberta. May not be as cold as ND. Haha. Took no chances and went to my reliable Toyota dealer and a frost plug was removed and block heater installed PLUS a complete antifreeze flush. Worth the dollars spent.

3. Jun 28, 2020 at 11:59 AM
    PR48

PR48 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I had the coolant flush done before it was transported. How much does the plug typically cost at the dealer?

4. Jun 28, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    I’ve lived in northern Canada as far north as Yukon, and always used a block heater. The best are mounted in the frost plug holes. You might wait until you get to ND, because at least the guys up there will know how to do it so it doesn’t leak afterwards. It’s been awhile, but probably will cost an hour of labour + the price of the unit, plus whatever you decide about flushing the coolant, if needed. Shouldn’t be too bad.
    I used to use a battery blanket plus a block heater in the northern places I lived. Of course, starting is the first thing that comes to mind, but most modern vehicles in good repair will start in extreme cold. I’ve started a Ford F-150 with a 302 in it in the bush at -40C. The problem is that when it starts it runs dry for a few minutes before the oil is viscous enough to pump. Not a good thing. So, plugging in a vehicle has a lot of benefits - faster warm ups for the occupants, better engine starts, and engine longevity.

5. Jun 29, 2020 at 8:42 AM
    WMU

WMU New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Wabamun, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2006 - 1GR-FE - Ltd - 2007 - 1GRE - Ltd - 2008 - 2UZ - Ltd
    Shrockworks Bumper - Winch - Rock Sliders - Bilsteins - 2 inch lift - Hankook Dynapro MT
    Dealers have book rates for their work. Best to contact the local dealer.

Products Discussed in

To Top