1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Bay LED Lighting w/ Switch

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bluesky 07, Oct 31, 2023.

1. Oct 31, 2023 at 11:10 AM
    Bluesky 07

Bluesky 07 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Northern Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Silver ‘07 Sport 4WD @ 253K
    “Deep” Satoshi grille | X-REAS delete / TRD Offroad front springs & Bilstein 4600 shocks + FJC rear springs | Weathertech front & rear mats | Tinted front windows | Floor Armor cargo mat | TPMS bypass | LED interior, tag, & reverse lights | BlueSea Systems console USB power ports | Gentex 453 autodim mirror w/Homelink & compass | Kenwood DDX373BT HU + Audiovox backup camera | Fumoto F-103S | Bazooka tube subwoofer | Kenwood speakers & KAC-M1804 amp | Philips H9/9011 headlight bulbs | Rexing V1 Gen3 dash cam | Map light mod | Breather mod | Off-road Nav Setup | Power Stop Z36 brakes | OBD Fusion diagnostics
    Switched engine bay lighting on my ’07 Sport is hands down one of my favorite convenience mods. Here’s how I did it; as with everything, YMMV.

Materials:
    LED strip (Amazon)
    Switch (Amazon) (Amazon's pic shows 5 switches but you can order just one.) Electrical wire (~16 gauge)
    Ring connector
    Your choice of splice connector
    Wire stripper
    3/4“ keyhole bit

[​IMG]

I didn’t want the LED strip to turn on automatically so I added a rocker switch. Mounting it here on the radiator shroud looked like the most convenient place.

[​IMG]

Use a small, regular bit to drill a pilot hole then go to the ¾” keyhole bit to make the opening. Smooth the edges with sandpaper or a file, something I hadn’t done yet when I took the pic.

[​IMG]

The installed switch looks clean.

[​IMG]

Here's where to place the strip. Wipe the metal down first with alcohol on a rag to help ensure the best adhesion.

[​IMG]

Run the wires through the wrap then route the wrap under the hood pad. I brought it out at the driver's side rear corner and used a zip tie to secure it there, then tucked and/or zip tied it along the inside top of the fender up to where the wires connect to the switch, battery, and ground.

[​IMG]

The switch prongs, from left to right in this pic, are:
    1. Left, dark colored: ground
    2. Middle: Battery (constant 12V power)
    3. Right: Red wire from the LED strip

[​IMG]

It's been a minute so forgive me if this is off, but a black wire and a red wire come off the LED strip and - IIRC - this is how everything connects using the prong numbers listed above. Figuring it out is easy enough if this isn't exact:
    1. Run a ground wire off the dark-colored switch prong, splice the black one from the LED strip to it, and connect it with the ring connector to the ground bolt as shown below.

2. Constant 12V goes to the battery; in my case, a Blue Sea Systems fuse box.

3. Connect the red wire from the LED strip to this prong.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Done. This mod is way up there in usefulness and bang for the buck.

[​IMG]

2. Dec 4, 2023 at 11:36 AM
    trail_runner_93

trail_runner_93 New Member

Member:
    South Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 Premium
    Looks great! Thanks for the share!

3. Dec 4, 2023 at 11:47 AM
    BgBmBoo

BgBmBoo New Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Looks like a great way to destroy a spade bit. ;)

But very good idea! I’ve thought about doing something similar.

To Top