1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electrical wiring/grounding, fuse block and ARB compressor

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Bullminner, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Jun 19, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    Bullminner

Bullminner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nautical Blue 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    None yet!
    I've seen a couple different write-ups on electrical and have a question. I bought the 12 circuit Blue Fox fuse block last night. I checked out 4X4Runner's photo and numerous others on the web. I'm making an Excel spreadsheet of the accessories I'm getting with amps, volts, etc.

I'm confused on setting up switched circuits vs. full time circuits but for right now I'm only adding a light bar and pods so I'm pretty sure I'll realize to turn them off. I will try switched circuits later if the need or want arises.

My confusion is on grounding. I'm a civil engineer and took electrical classes in college but car audio was always a pain with buzzing speakers, grounding amps, crossed power and RCA's, etc.

So here's the question!! I understand that with light bars, etc. you can either ground at the fuse block (which I will do for now) because my wiring is up front OR if you have lights in the back, you run the power from the fuse block to the lights BUT you can ground the lights AT the back? I'm confused because if you have relays for the switches etc. in the engine compartment and switches on the panel, why not run the ground back to the front fuse block?

Also, I want the ARB compressor at sometime in the near future. I see it draws 56 amps at max air flow. Does it somehow get wired to 2-30 amp circuits to be covered for 60 amps or does it actually get wired to the battery.

I'm just trying to plan out my build to make sure I do everything correctly, neatly and safely.

Thanks for any input.

Shane

2. Jun 26, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    4X4Runner

4X4Runner The Anti Pro, Pro! Staff Member

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner Smashed Ass Edition
    Mad driver mod. OME Suspension. 285/70R17 BFG AT KO2
    I wired the + side of the compressor directly to the battery and ran the ground to the fuse block. The + of the wiring harness to the compressor has an inline 40A fuse and the dual compressor has dual inline 40A fuses.

Bullminner[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 26, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    As for the rest of the items, you can run the ground to chassis since chassis is considered “common ground”.

You can use a multimeter to check resistance at your location to ensure you have a solid ground connection.

4. Jun 26, 2018 at 6:39 PM
    4X4Runner

Member:
    The left coast
    Vehicle:
    The simple auto relay only provides + power to the accessory and not ground.

5. Jun 27, 2018 at 6:49 AM
    Bullminner

Bullminner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nautical Blue 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    None yet!
    Gotcha, so instead of wiring the compressor to the new fuse block, it's the only "extra" thing you have wired to the battery. That makes sense. Everything else running through the fuse block for me will be low amps.

Products Discussed in

To Top