1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ECU on a 92 4runner

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Kevin B, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Feb 19, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    Kevin B

Kevin B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    92 4runner
    Hello all, I just had a valve cover gaskets replaced on my 4runner as well as a couple of other issues fixed.. I was told that I needed a new ECU and that I could do it myself only problem is I am not sure where it is located.. It does have cruise control and is the 3.0 motor.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks
    Kevin

2. Feb 26, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    Kyle11863

Kyle11863 King of the BS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Big Bear California
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 5 Speed Manual
    Doug Thorley long tube headers and lots of mud
    ECU's are located behind the passenger side kick panel below the glove box. Who told you you need another one and why?

3. Feb 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    Kevin B

Kevin B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle:
    92 4runner
    Hello, I did find one a a junk yard (it had been tested to be good) replaced the old one and still check engine light is on.. The who and why.. the who is the mechanic that replaced the valve cover gaskets and the why is after he was done the check engine light came on and it does not shift properly now.. Took it back has had it for 3 days and tells me he can't find why the light is on.. So at this point not sure what to do !!
    Thanks

4. Feb 27, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    Toyojay

Toyojay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2009 SE 4WD
    285/70/17 KO2 - Dobinsons 3/2" UCA - 5100s @ 0
    Sounds like the problem was that mechanic....

robertd33 and Bob like this.
  5. Feb 27, 2017 at 1:10 PM
    Kyle11863

Kyle11863 King of the BS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Big Bear California
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 5 Speed Manual
    Doug Thorley long tube headers and lots of mud
    The junkyard ecu may be different than your original ecu. I'm not sure bout 92, but I know for 94-95 they had several different ones. There was one for every combination of transmission, engine, 2wd or 4wd, CA emissions, all sorts of things. If you put the wrong one in yours it will cause problems. I recommend putting the original one back in

As for the check engine light, locate the diagnosis connector under the hood next to the fuse block. Take a stripped wire or paper clip and jam it into the TE1 and E1 terminals (The underside of the lid has the terminal map) Next go in the cab and turn the key to the on position (without starting) and look at the check engine light. It will flash once, pause, then flash twice rapidly. This indicates a code 12 meaning its beginning the diagnosis. It should do this about 3 times. After that it should flash another code or codes. When its done flashing all the codes it will flash 12 again 3 times and start the process over again. After that google search 1992 Toyota 4runner check engine codes and find out what it means. This will give you an idea of what is wrong and what needs to be fixed besides your crappy mechanic problem

Products Discussed in

To Top