1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EcoTechne Roof Rack Installation (5th Gen)

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mynameistory, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Dec 7, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    eaglescout

eaglescout 2018 SR5

Member:
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5
    FN FX PRo Wheels Matte Dark Bronze. Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70/17/load C 3" Dobinson Coil Lift Blackout Kit Raptor Style Grill LED C4 Fab Lo Pro Winch Bumper LFD Offroad Skid Plate Shrockworks Sliders Rago Molle Panels Extreme LED Ditch Lights Ecotechne Roof Rack Detours Offroad Swingout Tire Carrier
  2. Jan 24, 2021 at 10:57 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    This article popped up in my feed recently. It borrows a little liberally from my original how-to guide, but it's interesting to see what updates there are.

https://trail4runner.com/2020/12/04/echotechne-roof-rack-install-review/

It looks like Ecotechne has changed their racks up a little more. The crossbars look skinnier and even less useful than before, and the front fairing has been significantly chopped down. The channel for light bar mounting looks smaller as well- mine is 3" wide which allowed me to perfectly tuck in the Diode Dynamics SS30 bar. This one looks to be about half that.

Problems with fit and finish, especially the powdercoat, still appear to persist with this rack. Now more than ever I would not recommend buying this rack unless you are prepared to do some cleanup work and source your own powdercoat. The one improvement seems to be that a stateside supplier has picked them up for distribution, so maybe shipping times and customer service will improve.

7385 likes this.
  3. Jan 25, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    AgentKooper

AgentKooper New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Pro
    Your original write up was quite impressive. I agree that’s a really good looking rack, and your seals look solid. I’m wondering if you anticipate having to reseal at some point, or whether you think that was a permanent solution. I’m toying with the idea of replacing my factory rack, but the main thing holding me back is the amount of horror stories I’ve read about insufficient aftermarket seals and water intrusion. I’d much rather not have to deal with periodic resealing, but I don’t know how realistic that is.

4. Jan 25, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    I might consider taking everything off to check it one of these days, just to see how it's holding up. I'm very confident in the integrity of the hardware, and the washers are said to be unaffected by sunlight, ozone, and water. My only concern is if the joints can't drain water away properly and pools, as I can't guarantee they're absolutely watertight. But so far I've seen no evidence of poor draining, and that includes several snow loads in Mammoth. I've noticed zero dampness in the headliner, and I've even pulled off the driver side kick panel to check for moisture (a common area that will collect water when running down the door frame). I've also heard horror stories of water collecting in this area and shorting out critical connectors and putting the truck in limp mode. So far all is bone dry.

5. Jan 25, 2021 at 12:31 PM
    Daytonaviolet

Daytonaviolet TRD Bro

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blizzard Pearl TRD Bro
    Thanks for all the info :)

mynameistory[OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 25, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    AgentKooper

AgentKooper New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Pro
    Interesting and slightly concerning. I have a Pro. I wonder what the process for installing that rack is. I haven't heard any horror stories involving factory installed rails/racks. I guess I'm inviting those stories now.

7. Jan 25, 2021 at 4:47 PM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Pro rack is definitely assembled at port. I think I've seen photos of the Pro with block off plates installed until the TRD team adds the rack (and other trip, shocks, wheels, etc.).

I don't think it's cause for alarm but it might merit reviewing. As for aftermarket racks, so far the only one I've seen with a properly integrated seal system is the Sherpa rack. Everyone else just tells you to smear silicone all over, including Ecotechne.

7385 likes this.
  8. Jan 25, 2021 at 6:23 PM
    AgentKooper

AgentKooper New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner TRD Pro
    Yes, Sherpa would be my choice for that reason if I decide to change it out someday. Plus there’s the bonus of them being just up the road from me.

9. Jan 29, 2021 at 8:12 AM
    rageandlove

rageandlove New Member

Member:
    And they do a terrible job. I took mine off to install a Sherpa rack (since I couldn't find a way to make the Pro rack useful at all) and discovered they had scratched the crap out of the paint in the gutters and just moved on. Nothing like having to start a rack installation on a 1-year-old vehicle with some paint restoration work ...

10. Jan 29, 2021 at 12:13 PM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    How do you like your Sherpa? Got any pics?

11. Jan 30, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    rageandlove

rageandlove New Member

Member:
    I think it's a great product and I have found the guy that runs the company to be exceptionally responsive and helpful. It's well-designed both from a practical as well as aesthetic perspective, uses standard cross-bars so easy to put stuff up there, is aluminum which I prefer (rust, weight), and as you pointed out their mounting system is a proper system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the other things I like about Sherpa is they have designed a bunch of really thoughtful accessories to the rack, so if you want a awning or a RTT or whatever they have a well-integrated aluminum part for that.

For example, they have a very slick bracket to allow you to mount lights on the side of the rack in a way that's unobtrusive and protected from branches, etc. I'm about to install a few of these on either side so I have light when dispersed camping:

[​IMG]

But gotta finish the light bar in the grill first ...

12. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:03 PM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Beautiful pics. I think the Sherpa rack is much more nicely engineered and integrated, but I do find myself preferring the compound angles on the Ecotechne. The front fairing seems more low-profile because it's broken into two angles rather than a single face.
    [​IMG]

13. Jan 30, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    What kind of light bar? I finished my SAE driving light install last year.

14. Jan 30, 2021 at 8:00 PM
    rageandlove

rageandlove New Member

Member:
    Yes, it's a very good looking rack too. Sherpa is pretty chunky at the front.

Wow, that's cool. I like what you have done there. I bought a new used BD 20" S8 light bar off someone local and a cheap SDHQ mount that goes up top where you put your lights. Made the wiring harness today; we'll see if I get the rest done tomorrow or next weekend.

Which model fogs are those? The DD fogs are great.

15. Jan 30, 2021 at 11:28 PM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Nice. Both fogs and driving lights are SS3 pro. The driving lights have the 4000K LEDs from the yellow lights, but with clear lenses swapped in. I prefer the warmer white that's closer to the halogen temp, rather than the cold blue light that seems to be popular these days.

rageandlove[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 27, 2024 at 1:22 PM
    DEEROD

DEEROD New Member

Member:
    Thanks for posting this. I installed a Prinsu full rack 2.5 years ago with silicone and just sprung a leak. I'm planning to reinstall and am thinking of using the butyl/washer method. Wondering how yours has held up.

17. Jan 28, 2024 at 11:54 AM
    mynameistory

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    I check after every car wash and rain storm because I'm paranoid. So far, no leaks after over 5 years and counting. I might swap the crossbars to extruded aluminum so I can have a rail at each location, maybe then I'll pull apart the roof mounts to check how they're doing. However, I'm really lazy so it might take me a while to get around to it.

DEEROD[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 28, 2024 at 1:12 PM
    DEEROD

DEEROD New Member

Member:
    Awesome, thanks Tory!
    I just learned that the silicone gaskets for flip top Grolsch bottles are the same size. Might give them a go with the butyl tape.

Products Discussed in

To Top