1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver side A pillar grab handle.

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Jimmycue, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Jan 23, 2024 at 1:32 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    In theory it sounds like it would work. The bolded part above is what I'm curious about. Are you saying you would go through the handle mounting bolt hole on Jason's bracket with the KTJO bolt, with the spacer between that and the rivnut?

2. Jan 23, 2024 at 1:53 PM
    Emmantik

Emmantik New Member

Member:
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey SR5P
    It's been done. Post #322 in link.

3. Jan 23, 2024 at 1:57 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    RSG sliders, Falken Wildpeak 265/70R/17 E
    That might work, but I can't absolutely confirm it. I initially located the center of the lower hole by temporarily installing the new garnish. Then I removed it and screwed the grab handle into the upper hole and into Jason's bracket below and rotated until it was aligned with my mark. It's not easy to determine with extreme precision, but it's also tolerant of small errors (around 1/8"). I marked to drill with the center punch. It ended working quite well.

4. Jan 23, 2024 at 1:58 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I also have done it. Mine took some modification, however, as the bottom KTJO handle mount hole did not line up with the bracket mounting hole, as the bracket was mounted prior, to work with the oem handle. I got it to work, but it would have been easier to have the KTJO stuff the first time around.

5. Jan 24, 2024 at 3:27 AM
    eminem

eminem New Member

Member:
    I was thinking that I could install the rivnut then insert the KTJO bolt and spacer through Jason's bracket and tighten into the rivnut to hold the bracket in the correct location for marking the drill points. I don't think I'd need to use the handle for this. I'm trying to ensure the correct alignment of the hole in the KTJO trim piece with the hole in the bracket.

It's the somewhat oversimplified "just align the bracket" part of that post that I'm trying to get right the first time, without the trial and error that others have experienced.

Thanks @backpacker. I had read through your posts, including your super helpful installation notes in the "What have you done to your 5th Gen 4Runner today?" thread. I am "hoping" to avoid the "using heavy-duty double-sided tape and repositioning it about 4 times, taking the garnish on-and off" part if at all possible. With my ocd, I'm afraid I won't get past the "measure" part of "measure twice, cut once". It's good to hear that there is a little room for error.

Thanks @glwood54. I saw the alignment issue you ran into after installing the bracket before deciding to try the KTJO solution. I assume you just had to ream out the bracket a little to correct that issue. Of course, I hope to avoid that but it was good to see your initiative to stick with it to come up with a solution. I decided to go with both KTJO and the bracket for the same reason you described, for the more OEM look of the KTJO trim versus just mounting the OEM handle to the OEM trim. Although I do now have a new OEM handle that I won't be using since I was initially going that route.

I'm very thankful and amazed at how quickly you all replied to my post. It's great to be a member of this community.

glwood54[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 24, 2024 at 5:56 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    My alignment fight was with the top bolt. I used a small drift pin to line up the holes then held the new trim piece very firmly in place and carefully inserted the bolt and started it by hand. All the while trying to contort my my 76 year old body to twist adequately and not fall off the seat and under the steering wheel. It worked,got it done.

raimieb, ljerr2 and glwood54 like this.
  7. Jan 24, 2024 at 6:32 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Exactly what I did, just so I could move the threaded clip down a bit. I also have an OEM handle, with the modified A-pillar trim, sitting on a shelf.

I'd be curious if, once you attach Jason's bracket, albeit temporarily, using the rivnut, the KTJO bolt, and the spacer, if the holes in the handle line up, even without the trim cover. I'm sure they would top to bottom, It's just a matter of whether they do front to back. It's not a big deal to put the trim piece on at that point, just to check alignment, then remove it again.

However you get it done, kudos for using both, as it really is the best way to add a grab handle IMO.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  8. Jan 24, 2024 at 9:48 AM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    @eminem

I think fussing over it is inevitable, but the result is worth it. I don't use my grab handle a lot, but it's there when I want it. Good luck!

9. Jan 24, 2024 at 10:58 AM
    Connor MacLeod

Connor MacLeod New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road
    Huh, I use mine every time I climb out. Helps me avoid rolling off the seat with my butt cheeks and putting unnecessary wear on the side of the seat cushion. :)

10. Feb 17, 2024 at 10:57 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    I hope Jason't bracket is still available. I sent an email to ask last night. I definitely need this handle in my 2024.

I can't believe Toyota left this off. I use the handle every time on my FJ Cruiser, where Toyota did include it thankfully.

KJTO doesn't seem to make their kit in grey anymore. All they have is "damaged" ones for sale in the grey color with a no returns policy if you don't like the damage.

Items marked Clearance or Final Sale cannot be returned as they are highly discounted. We have quite a few Damaged Grab Handles in inventory.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  11. Feb 18, 2024 at 2:33 AM
    eminem

eminem New Member

Member:
    I got the grey clearance handle pkg. from KTJO in January. The edges around the base of the handle are a little rough but not too bad. I could probably sand those spots a little to smooth out but they're not bad enough to mess with and won't affect the istallation. Overall, I'm happy with it for ~$100.

I also bought Jason's bracket in January, planning to use it to strengthen the lower mount of the KTJO handle, but I haven't had time to do the install yet.

My '08 Tacoma DC has a driver side grab handle but I saw that the 2024 Tacoma doesn't have one. I wonder if this means that the nextgen (2025?) 4runner won't have one either.

4R Florida likes this.
  12. Feb 18, 2024 at 6:42 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    When I was installing my KTJO grab handle with Jason's bracket, the I managed to drop the handle at some point. It bounced out of the driver's seat and onto the driveway, instantly becoming a "clearance" handle...I still used it, and it is fine.

Ironguy likes this.
  13. Feb 18, 2024 at 4:51 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Is there a reason why you didn't use the bracket and the Toyota handle?

14. Feb 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    The KTJO grab handle kit comes with a replacement garnish that mates perfectly with the handle (it looks like a mirror image of the passenger side), so the finish is a bit nicer. Also, it's completely ready for installation. You don't need to drill into the garnish or cut material out of the back of it.

15. Feb 18, 2024 at 5:53 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    How convenient that the one on my FJ Cruiser is loose and needs tightening. While I'm at it I'll take it off for a few minutes and compare it to the 4Runner passenger handle while it's off.

16. Feb 18, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    backpacker

backpacker New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD ORP
    Somebody posted a comparison here, but it's not easy to find. They're similar enough that you wouldn't notice the difference when they're on opposite sides of the vehicle. One is a bit taller than the other.

17. Feb 18, 2024 at 6:06 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
  18. Feb 18, 2024 at 6:29 PM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....

I was going to do this mod to my SloRunner, but decided against it. Why you ask? Great question!

1) The A-pillar in my ride already creates a bad blind spot for me. Adding this will make it even worse.
    2) I'm very tall and can easily "step in" and don't need a grab handle.
    3) I tried installing this product back when I had a Tacoma (before they changed the screw and giving you a tool to install it), a screw fell into my dashboard that I was never able to retrieve. On days when I took a hard right or hard left, you could hear the screw rattle and roll around. Every time I heard that noise, I died a little more on the inside. Knowing that I failed while trying to add a stupid mod to my vehicle.

Rob41 likes this.
  19. Feb 18, 2024 at 7:02 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    He says at the end:

"Hang on to the original because you never know down the line how things are going to wear and tear."

My thoughts exactly. Sun rots many plastics and heat can deform. Plus, his also didn't fit very well at the bottom. I have tried to reach KJTO repeatedly for two weeks now with no response, so that concerns me. Plus no returns allowed.

Bracket and Toyota handle seems to be the way to go for me, if I can get a bracket. The recommended handle is the same one as the passenger side, right? Seems to be the same one. It looks like using an FJ handle is not a very good way to go because it's angular and not rounded, and the screw covers are on the face of it instead of the front. Not a matching appearance.

This is a mandatory upgrade for me. I use the one in my FJ Cruiser every single time and have for 13 years now. I looked at some used 4Runners over the past month, and the paint is all scratched up and in one case almost gone where people were grabbing the paint there trying to get in.

Rob41[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 18, 2024 at 8:18 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I had the oem (same as passenger side, because Toyota only sells that one) grab handle with Jason's bracket and the modified oem A-pillar trim piece. It worked fine while I had it, and was very sturdy. Here's a few pics from my installation:

upload_2024-2-18_21-12-22.png
    upload_2024-2-18_21-12-46.png
    upload_2024-2-18_21-13-7.png

I'd be happy to answer any questions if you want. The only reason I went with the KTJO handle, trim piece, and Jason's bracket is because it matches the passenger side. But plenty of owners have done the oem trim with Jason's bracket. I give all the credit to @Saker for bringing this to 4runners.com.

This is my bit of a write up on the oem handle:

https://www.4runners.com/threads/glwood54-vs-stock-4r.12659/page-4#post-213856

djwantke and Saker like this.
  21. Feb 18, 2024 at 8:27 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I did originally, but later used the KTJO trim & handle, to match the passenger side.

22. Feb 18, 2024 at 8:37 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Any problem getting a hand easily into the Toyota OEM handle? Seems to be about 1" of room instead of about 1-3/8" with the KTJO, so a little more depth with that option.

As for the appearance, I wouldn't have noticed if someone had not pointed it out. Appearance vs. known OEM quality/durability/fit. Six of one and a half dozen of another. I'm also not liking the KTJO "no returns" policy on "damaged" goods. Who knows what that might mean. That would be a gamble.

23. Feb 18, 2024 at 8:46 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I measured about 3/8" more finger room after. I don't have huge hands, so the oem handle worked fine for grabbing. It was just a matter of looks. I will say that the KTJO trim piece does have some small issues with the fit on the top edge if you look really close.

It's curious they don't have any new gray covers & handles...supply issues from China, I suppose.

24. Feb 18, 2024 at 9:04 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Yes, and there is at least one example I saw of a poor fit at the bottom where it would be noticable to me. Aftermarket stuff always has issues.

A quick experiment with the door handle on my countertop oven and a piece of wood to narrow the space to 1" reveals that I can barely grab it. I think it will work, but barely. I went out to measure the one on my FJ Cruiser, and it's 1.5". I'll try to contact KTJO one more time, but three attempts have failed already. I also want the bracket so I am hoping to get one of those.

Saker likes this.
  25. Feb 18, 2024 at 10:00 PM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    At least one member on here just used the FJ handle instead.

djwantke likes this.
  26. Feb 19, 2024 at 3:29 AM
    eminem

eminem New Member

Member:
    I want mine to look as close to oem and be as solid as possible so that's why I went with KTJO + Jason's bracket. The pics and discussion in this thread helped to convince me. I initially planned to use the oem handle and garnish but the contoured handle mounting locations on the KTJO look much better imo. I did buy the oem handle before deciding to go with KTJO so I can fall back on that if ever needed.

Here's a thread discussing using the FJ handle, so it could be an option if you need the extra space and are ok with the way it looks:
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/5th-gen-driver-pillar-fj-oem-oh-shit-handle.26151/

27. Feb 19, 2024 at 8:13 PM
    4R Florida

4R Florida New Member

Member:
    Northeast Florida
    Well, I wonder if the FJ handle would somehow fit on the right side too to make a matching pair. It says the hole spacing is the same. The question is how it would fit with the factory contouring of the passenger side pillar. Only one way to find out. I need to take one off my FJ and take it to the dealership while I wait, before I have to trade the FJ in and lose my ability to borrow parts from it for testing. :)

28. Feb 20, 2024 at 6:28 AM
    glwood54

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Even if the hole spacing matches up, the base of the handle is smaller, from the photos I've seen. An FJ handle on the PS may look weird. I hope you can check it out...

29. Feb 22, 2024 at 2:19 PM
    BearBio

BearBio New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2019, Dark Blue SR5
    Roof rack, side bars
    Message sent=waiting for response!!

30. Feb 22, 2024 at 2:34 PM
    4R Florida