1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you think the third gens will ever become classic?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Trekker, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Nov 19, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    Trekker

Trekker [OP] Regular Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1997 3rz 5spd
    The first gens 4runners will are where the fj40s were a few years ago. I am astonished they haven't become more sought after because they have all the characteristics of a classic SUV (unique features, removable roof, boxy styling, many came with neat decals, and 4wd), I bet you by the next decade it will be hard to find under 20,000$.

Second gens are not really increasing in price, maybe the cleanest one will be at best 15,000$ with original owner and all paper work. I still see a lot beat to hell <5000 where I live. This generation hasn't gotten as much interest as the 3rd gen, my guess as to why is maybe the 3.0 v6 scares a lot away.

Now the third gens are interesting. A lot more people find this generation desirable from both a daily usability standpoint, and a 4x4 overlanding standpoint (4wd only). Toyota made a ton of them unlike the first gen. A rule of thumb is that almost all 4 wheel drive vehicles become classic and sought after eventually. The styling of the 3rd gen 4runner has aged gracefully, it is the last car to feature a separate bumper and the last to come with a 5 speed manual, but its not a straight edge brick as much. I still see a lot on the road, more than the ford explorers of the time which makes sense.

My guess is that the 3rd gens will start going in 20-25 years because of the sheer number produced. The 2wd models will never be as sought after.

borzoifan likes this.
  2. Nov 19, 2020 at 11:05 PM
    mousemeat

mousemeat New Member

Member:
    Memphis, TN.
    Vehicle:
    1997 4 runner limited
    upgraded suspension, large all terrain tires
    it'll take some additional time...but I think the 3rd gen 4runners, will eventually be sought after...especially, if they were well taken care of...

4runner 1.jpg

3. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:17 AM
    negusm

negusm New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Well, all cars become "classics" after a time.

I think you're asking is if they will become "collectible"? Will the prices go up? Will there be enough demand for reproducing parts that are no longer available? Will they be seen in car shows?

It's a really hard question to answer.

I think it's way to early to know.

What you say is true, the car is considered the best generation of 4Runner. Lots of positives.

I come from the Fox Mustang world and I see a lot of parallels. Fox Mustangs ran from 79-93 and had really 3 generations.
    79-83 was the 1st gen. Solid. Decent classic lines. Unrefined.
    84-86 2nd gen. Same style not much change.
    87-93 much more refinement, comfort, large update in style and features inside and out. Super popular when new.

Like the 87-93 Mustangs, today the 3rd gen 4Runners have people willing to plunk money down for them. Prior generations have a following of die-hards but never seem to catch they eyes of a more casual enthusiast.

Like all enthusiast cars though, originality is worth a lot to a buyer, and as time goes on, it will be interesting to see what the prices do for low mileage originals (if any survive) vs high mileage originals vs modified rigs.

Some odd things I always have to remember:

This is an Asian car. That's a whole different mind set as originality seems to be less of an issue.

Car buyers don't consider a 20 year old car to be vintage/classic like years ago. Just a used car. Cars lasted 8 years. Today it's 15. 20 year old cars on the road are normal now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  4. Nov 20, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I go “Antique” in 41 days......

5. Nov 28, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    joeyyep

joeyyep New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Toyota 4Runner 2.7
    I think so... little details like glass headlights, being made in Japan, solid but simple aesthetics, truck chassis etc make it something that people might look back on nostalgically. Don't get me wrong I love newer cars/crossovers, and I understand the benefits of the designs and material for weight and safety etc, but I just always find the plasticky look and feel a little lacking. When I drive my Silverado 2500HD it doesn't feel as 'solid' and the aesthetics and build material feel generic.

I think going barebones gives a good classic feel, so I removed all modifications, guards and moldings on mine (even the roof rack!) and added chrome bumpers, and really dig the simple look of mine.

6. Nov 28, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    Pics. Please.

Products Discussed in

To Top