1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

do I need a recovery strap and a snatch strap?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by xmt037, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Aug 14, 2021 at 1:40 PM
    xmt037

xmt037 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    ARB Skid Plates, FrontRunner SlimLine2 rack, 31" KO2s
    I just went into a 4W Parts and the sales person explained I need a snatch strap for getting out of sticky situations but also a normal recovery strap for towing/being towed down a trail. Can anyone weigh in here? Could a snatch strap be sufficient here? Thanks all.

2. Aug 14, 2021 at 2:45 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
  3. Aug 17, 2021 at 4:29 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    I have both. I use the recovery strap for connecting to downed trees that need to be dragged off the trail. Steel chain works better for that as there is a chance of damaging a poly strap pulling a tree off the trail / road. I use the Kinetic recover rope for pulling stuck vehicles or helping vehicles get over obstacles.

My Kinetic recovery rope is expensive. I'd rather use a cheaper recovery strap for a long pull - say pulling a vehicle to the trail head.

I figure if I get stuck by myself, I can combine my winch with both ropes to get to that tree off in the distance.

Get some soft and hard shackles too, if you don't have them already.
    Plus get a rear hitch shackle. You'll need a hitch pin as well.

I have a Rhino - US company but made in China.
    https://www.amazon.com/USA-Receiver-Accessories-Rhino-Receivers/dp/B06WLMF23C/

Factor 55 is made in the USA.
    https://www.amazon.com/Factor-55-00020-04-Hitchlink-Black/dp/B00JMBSAZU/

Agency 6 is made in the USA.
    https://www.amazon.com/Agency-Recovery-Shackle-Assembly-Double/dp/B07R113W8M/

Figure just about everything Arb is made in China.

4. Aug 17, 2021 at 6:29 AM
    kbp810

kbp810 rebmem wen

Member:
    Yes, you ideally should have both. One static rope/strap for towing or for extending the reach of a winch rope; and a kinetic rope/strap that can stretch for pulls in any scenario where momentum from a running start is needed (such as being stuck in mud). Don't forget to also add a tree saver strap in there as well; not only good for protecting trees, but can come in handy when rigging up snatch blocks too.

As said above, you'll also want a couple d-ring/shackles, and some soft shackles too (I primarily use soft shackles, but still a good idea to have some d-ring/hard shackles around for connections where you can't get a soft shackle in, or there's a sharp edge involved that could damage a soft shackle).

DRobs likes this.
To Top