1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disabling ABS, TRAC, and VSC on 2wd *Pictures*

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by Elmo the Destroyer, May 2, 2018.

1. May 2, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    Elmo the Destroyer

Elmo the Destroyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    OKC Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black 4Runner (2wd 4L V6)
    Hey all, I did some more work on Elmo today. I read Ramonortiz55's forum post about disabling the traction control and associated systems on a 4wd model, so I decided to try and do it on my 2wd '07. You may be wondering why I would want to disable these systems on a runner that is only 2wd, and my answer is this: gravel, dirt, sand.

Anyways, the only difference in this procedure for the 2wd model is in the wiring by the master cylinder. Instead of snipping the red wire, I snipped and installed a switch on the green one. IMG_0573.jpg
    As you can see, there are only two wires, a green and a white. I just did a loop splice on the wires and taped over it, with a lot more tape for safe measure.

IMG_0574.jpg
    You can see here where the wires go through the gasket. I had to fish the wires through in quite a complicated way, as I wanted to get them through that specific opening. First I taped a spare wire (string works too) to a long shank screwdriver and pushed it through, then I taped the wires I actually wanted to use to the spare wire and pulled it back through.
    IMG_0567.jpg
    Here you can see that I had a spare light switch laying around, which I used.
    IMG_0577.jpg
    Here's the switch in the "Traction off" position. (broken circuit)
    IMG_0578.jpg
    These lights, as well as the brake light, turned on when I broke the circuit.

Issues:
    Possibly unrelated, my speedometer was inaccurate immediately after finishing this modification. At higher speeds it seems to read true, but under 15 appears to be entirely guesswork. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Tested the mod out on some gravel roads, and Elmo the Destroyer performed beautifully.

Bob likes this.
  2. May 2, 2018 at 7:16 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Excellent write up
    If you nail down the cause of that, follow up in here

3. May 2, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    Elmo the Destroyer

Elmo the Destroyer [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    OKC Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black 4Runner (2wd 4L V6)
    Will do. I have a hunch that there are two systems for measuring speed, and the more precise one is also used for traction control. When I disable that, the system reverts to it's backup system. I'm by no means an expert, and have absolutely no education on this, but that would make sense.

Products Discussed in

To Top