1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Differential Gearing

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Acesandeights, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Apr 22, 2024 at 8:45 AM
    Acesandeights

Acesandeights [OP] Newbie - always learning

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1938 4Runner
    For those of you with aftermarket differentials, what ratio are you running and are you happy with what you chose? Where did you purchase them? Did you do the install yourself, or have someone do it? What was the pricing for the differentials, labor/install? Any other things I should know that I didn't ask about?

I am interested in 4.56 gearing, rear locker and possibly a True Trac limited slip front differential.

I assume with aftermarket differentials, I'm going to lose the OEM rear locker?

If it matters, I am familiar with differential and transmission ratios. I've driven various auto/manual transmissions, with 3.07, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, and 4.88 differential gearing, with tires from 29" to 34".

2. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:36 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    There are plenty of threads with pics on this subject. Suggest you go on the search box and type "regearing" and get a nice cold one as you read. I went with 456 as I don't intend to run 35's and I have a SC unit as well. Love the 456's and the low end torque gained thru this new process. Good luck.

3. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:37 AM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    4.88 Nitro. I had a shop do it, they threw a front locker there too

4. Apr 22, 2024 at 9:44 AM
    Acesandeights

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1938 4Runner
    Thanks @ChessGuy I did a search first. I got about 1M hits dealing with upgrades, not specific to gearing, and whether first gear was too tall, too low, miles per gallon, camping gear and a host of other things. Things specific to my questions though, I didn't find much of. Maybe because I only had one cold one, and I need a 12-pack to wade through all of the things that aren't really about regearing.

ETA: I did a new search, title only. Seems this isn't done very often, compared to some other vehicles.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  5. Apr 22, 2024 at 11:24 AM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    Yeah, I think the choices here are really on 488's or 456 for the 4R. If you intend to go all out with your 4R, that is, bigger tires, tents, bumpers, skids, then you need the 488's. If it is a mild build, staying with 33's and just occasional offroader, then 456 is the way to go. My recommendation is that you go with ECGS and get their fully and ready assemble third members and do it yourself if you are handy enough and have the right equipment and maybe some help. Other than that, you need to find a reputable shop that knows what they are doing. I didn't get a front locker on mind because I don't think the 4R needs it, I have convinced myself that if I turn on ATRAC and the rear locker at the same time, I have essentially the same functionality of a front locker. (or a poorman's locker that is). Regearing is probably one of the most underated mods, IMO. I think the 4R is different with it. Good luck and post pics on what you do.

6. Apr 22, 2024 at 11:29 AM
    Acesandeights

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1938 4Runner
    My last vehicle had 33" tires and 4.88 gearing. I thought it was perfect. The transmission gearing is similar between the last vehicle and a new 4R, without a sixth gear. I think 4.56 would be better, for me, with a 4R. I plan on a narrow(er) 32" tire on the 4R.

Now I'm looking for t-case gears through Marlin Crawler.

7. Apr 22, 2024 at 12:16 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    I agree search function pulls up all kinds of crap not related to what you are searching. Spend a lot of time going through all of these posts.

I believe in opening up discussion on topics, after all that is what we share the forum for.

Anyway out of the factory these things don’t have proper gearing for what they are. Need to keep the EPA happy. Depending on usage and location will be a determining factor between 4.56, and 4.88.

I went with 4.88’s to help with my power loss at altitude mountainous terrain and long pulling grades on highway. 4.88’s and the word supercharger would not even pass your lips.

You will retain factory locker reusing the carrier just bolting up the ring gear to it. Different pinion gear.

I won’t discuss pricing because I don’t want to open a pissing discussion. But price out the gear kits and subtract that from the quote shop gives you indicating what there labor cost is. Some of these labor charges are atrocious.

Acesandeights[OP] likes this.
  8. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:09 PM
    Acesandeights

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1938 4Runner
    Thanks. I was going to do differential/3rd members myself, but I think I'll contact a shop regarding r/p install so I can reuse the carrier/locker. That probably makes most sense. I just contacted Marlin Crawler because I really wanted their 4.7:1 t-case gears, but they've said it's not an option for the newer 4Runners with a chain-driven case. I've asked about their Tacobox though, so maybe that's an option. I'd really like a crawl ratio closer to 50:1 or even better 60:1, but not sure I can get there easily.

9. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:20 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    There is no harm in going 4.88

10. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:21 PM
    runnerjimmy

runnerjimmy Wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Scottsdale Az. Castle Rock Co.
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP Barcelona red
    Fox 2.5 DSC. 2 1/2” front, 2”rear. Falken Wildpeak 255/80/17
    Brought my crawl ratio from 35:1to 45:1 with gears and 33’s. Which is not ideal, but it is what it is. Better gearing in the transfer case would be outstanding. Like 4:1 bring my ratio to 68:1

11. Apr 22, 2024 at 1:33 PM
    Acesandeights

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1938 4Runner
    Yeah, I'm having a hard time with the crawl ratio. Jeep offers a 5.13 first gear, 4:1 t-case and 4.88 differential gearing from the factory. That's what I was driving until two days ago. First gear, at 5.13 was too low for around town driving, made for quick shifts or starting out in second (there's a terrible spread between first and second in the factory manual trans). What was nice though, 100:1 crawl ratio. I think 34:1 of the stock 4Runner is going to drive me crazy. Trying to make a big enough difference with just a differential gear change makes for a big change 100% of the time, instead of putting some of that change in low-range. I'd be happiest to change my diff ratio by 20% or so, then go 30% or more in the t-case.

My first Wrangler had a 32:1 crawl ratio. It was terrible.

12. Apr 22, 2024 at 3:01 PM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    I recently had a set of 4.88 Yukon gears installed. It was installed in a single day by a single person who is the only gear person in the shop. He did a fine job and no problems.

13. Apr 22, 2024 at 3:03 PM
    Acesandeights

Member:
    So Oregon
    Vehicle:
    1938 4Runner
    Yep, I've had a shop, one guy, do gears for me. Took him 4 - 6 hours to do front and rear diffs with True Tracs (lsd carriers). If you know what you're doing, it's not too hard. Complete 4Runner 3rd members would be even easier.

14. Apr 22, 2024 at 4:31 PM
    nova

nova New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Soon Arizona
    Vehicle:
    slightly modified LE
    As someone already stated, ECGS does this for a living. Is there anyone else out there who do as many 3rd members? They really have the process figured out so you can trust them.

I have 4:88s running 35” Toyo MTs, I also had them install ARB front and back. It’s been flawless! I like the 4:88 to help manage the extra unsprung weight.

Enjoy!

Products Discussed in

To Top