1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Different Clutch Finger Lengths?

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Brixx, May 28, 2021.

1. May 28, 2021 at 12:57 AM
    Brixx

Brixx [OP] New Member

Member:
    Good Morning! This question may have been answered before. I tried to research it. Is there a known problem with the clutch pressure plate fingers being different lengths? Son purchased a 95 with a clutch problem, the clutch would barely release and grab mm's from the floor board. I checked adjustments, replaced clutch, master and slave cylinders. Pressure bled the system 3 times (also bench bled the master). Its an Oreilly's clutch kit. I might need to mention the previous owner had just replaced the clutch and that is when the problem arose. Does the OE clutches have longer fingers? (see picture for current clutch pressure plate finger height)
    I appreciate the help guys and gals!!!

4runnerclutch.jpg

2. May 28, 2021 at 2:02 AM
    Toyofan87

Toyofan87 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Blue & Grey Hwy Gburg
    Vehicle:
    1987 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    Welcome with your first post

Brixx[OP] likes this.
  3. May 28, 2021 at 3:31 AM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    I saw once in the past where the wrong throw out bearing was installed on a 78 Toyota Corona that was thinner than OEM but that would be a very rare issue to see.

Brixx[OP] likes this.
  4. May 28, 2021 at 6:22 AM
    D60

D60 New Member

Member:
    There's a vaccine for that now....

In all seriousness, every clutch package is a little different. I'm not sure you could make any conclusions without factoring in the friction disc and thickness of the pressure plate.

I know thats not much help, HOWEVER in post #6 here I posted different friction plates (OEM vs aftermarket) here AND you (by "you" I mean OP) might find post #8 particularly interesting:
    https://www.4runners.com/threads/need-a-new-clutch.17731/

5. May 28, 2021 at 7:45 AM
    Brixx

Brixx [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thank You!

Yeah, I'm not sure. I went to the Toyo dealership and asked if they had one in stock to compare, but no luck!

HA!!! Thanks for the reply. You might be correct, could be small thicknesses adding up to a proper clutch pedal! That's why I was hoping someone had a factory clutch to measure for me. I would hate to have my son spend $500 on a clutch and it didn't fix the problem. In that picture you linked it definitely shows Aisin is better quality though!!!

6. May 28, 2021 at 3:35 PM
    bthp223

bthp223 New Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    1990 4X4
    All I can say is I bought my replacement clutch at autozone, reassembled everything and had no clutch…nothing. Had to take the whole thing back apart, got my refund then ordered an Aisin Clutch kit through Napa Auto parts. Put everything back together and it’s been perfect since.

I don’t remember now exactly what it was, pretty sure I posted it back when I did it. The kits they sell at oriellys, autozone are different from the Aisin. Something is different about the throw out bearing too.

HTH.

Products Discussed in

To Top