1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did I buy a chick vehicle?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by MountainMan, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Oct 23, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Hah, I never realized I'm such a secure in my masculinity dude. I think I'm proud of that. Rock on me!

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Oct 23, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    To be clear, women are more than welcome to drive a 4Runner, but not Karens.

flyinhoot, A&P, thirdyota and 5 others like this.
  3. Oct 23, 2020 at 2:36 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    This is an interesting statement to me. We own 3 vehicles. Two diesel trucks for my work & the 4Runner for the dog really.
    We had an Infiniti sedan but when we got a GSD we knew we needed something bigger. I let her decide what she wanted and to my delight her first answer was the 4Runner.
    I have loved them for years & now we had a purpose to get one! Excellent.
    My wife bought it and it is her truck. I am here to learn how to maintain & care for it so that it will last a long time (why we got it wrapped with Xpel).
    Once the country opens up we will take it to Colorado & see what is lacking for our needs.
    Contempt or jealousy?
    Ryan.

A&P, DRobs, tailsandtrails and 3 others like this.
  4. Oct 23, 2020 at 2:39 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    Learn how to change oil and brake pads on the 4Runner. It's rather boring but it's about all the maint you should need to do for 150,000 miles. Not a fanboy statement, it's actually kinda boring. I like tinkering. I learned crap all owning a 4Runner. I learned a lot, however, owning a Silverado and an F150 LOL.

5. Oct 23, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    I appreciate it but with my tools & knowledge I am far beyond oil changes & brake jobs. I can do those sleeping! I truly hope that is all she needs for 150k! She is almost 2 now and we are still @ ~8k miles. We need to get out!
    Ryan.

A&P, Thatbassguy and Toy4X4 like this.
  6. Oct 23, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    :worthless:
    I’m an old guy but, not a Giuliani.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  7. Oct 23, 2020 at 3:01 PM
    Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray Be excellent to each other

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Barcelona Red
    Who cares? This never shows everything anyway.
    toy33, NightRunner, A&P and 2 others like this.
  8. Oct 23, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Maybe a little of both. Where I live there are a lot of 35 - 37" tires on 20 -22s lifted to the moon with all the bling of a rap concert. So maybe they are a little jealous because most of them never go off road. My trucks are beat up cosmetically, so people can tell right away they hit the trails. But I do have to say, Ive always respected a Diesel work truck. Just as a practical as a Camry (which I drove for a couple years), just for a different reason.

9. Oct 23, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    DStar920

DStar920 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Same here in Ohio... women have taken over the Jeep Wrangler. I's say 75% of the Wranglers I see have chicks driving them. They also have the "man hating" decals over them, the ones that say "The man rides bitch here" and "real woman drive Jeeps" and a few other anti-men sayings... As far a 4Runners, most around here are driven by men, except the Limited... the soccer moms got that one.

10. Oct 23, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    MountainMan

MountainMan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner MountainMan Edition
    I've noted that around here, the lifted diesel has replaced the BMW sedan for the vehicle of choice for A-hole drivers. Add an energy drink sticker to the back window and the odds increase by 90% that the driver will roll coal at every opportunity.

EffinNewGuy, Toy4X4, Toy4Ever and 4 others like this.
  11. Oct 23, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Abanero

Abanero New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange 4Runner TRD Pro
    Ahahaha.... "The man rides bitch here.." ..I couldnt help but laugh at that one. I am going to find that and sneak it on my buddy's Rubicon. Sounds like your region is very much the same as mine.

12. Oct 23, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I was waiting for someone to mention the "roll coal!" people. I have a 1994 12v Cummins Ram that can roll coal all day if I want. I have been @ stoplights and had people yell for me to "roll coal" & my response is always "you buying my fuel or parts?" Not to mention the harm to the environment.
    Seriously, if drag racing or tractor pulling I understand & appreciate the raw amount of fuel that is needed for the power a diesel can make. It is mind blowing that a built diesel engine from any of the big 3 can make over 2,000 ft/lb & 1,500whp all day long!
    Most of those "roll coal" people also enjoy blasting people in convertibles in soot. Those are not vehicle enthusiasts. They are assholes with a bad taste in humor.
    My '04 is tuned with an intake & 4" exhaust etc. It blows a slight puff of smoke if I really hit the throttle and the fuel kicks in before the turbo.
    Also, excess fuel (smoke) raises your EGT's very fast. This a big detriment to the engine. The EGT gauge in my Ram can get to 1,100° pulling a long hill (while towing) with no drop in speed. Over 1,300° for any time will start engine damage.
    Sorry to rant. I love vehicles and hate the people who give any of them a bad name. Hell, give me an Ariel Atom for track days!

13. Oct 23, 2020 at 4:50 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    My Blazers and Trailblazers taught me a lot about fixing trucks. And profanity.

14. Oct 23, 2020 at 5:01 PM
    tailsandtrails

tailsandtrails New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kay
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road MGM
    This thread has been wildly entertaining :). I actually noticed the same thing when I first started my 4R hunt and I guess I just chalked it up to where I live.

It could be that we choose 4Rs because they're dog friendly and for the ample space to store all of our baggage (I kid, I kid).

Or more likely because we're intelligent and adventurous. As is the majority of people who purchase 4rs.

15. Oct 23, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    2Toys

2Toys Imperial Star Cruiser

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRDORP
    a few goodies
    Well, I'm likely considered elderly at 59, and I have a lightly modded ORP. I have had it off road several times, and last March I was playing in the mud in snow just north east of Boise. I will going back to Boise next month on a trip for work, not ready to fly in an airliner yet.

16. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    DStar920

DStar920 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Vehicle:
    This the only time outside of the military that I sought out a physical altercation. Couple of young guys, with a diesel rolled coal next to an elderly couple in a convertible out for a Sunday drive. I felt so bad for that elderly couple... anyway I was behind them and caught up to them in a CVS parking lot. Waited for one to go inside so at least it would be a fair fight at first, I shit you not, when I walked up to the passenger side, he had his window down, blaring Florida Georgia Line and vaping out the window. I calmly open the door, grabbed him buy his shirt and yanked him right out of the passenger seat. Dude didn't even put up a fight, I chewed his ass good and asked how would he like his grandparents to have that done to them? Next thing I know, his buddy comes out of CVS with a little fight in him... goes to run at me and a little double under leg take down, few rolls and bam, got a triangle locked in for the first time outside of the gym.

17. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Great story & thank you kind sir!
    I wish I could have the opportunity.

18. Oct 23, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    The same 4Runner everyone has
    Yes, it's a chick car. I got over it and now use mine to load up at Costco every other weekend.

19. Oct 23, 2020 at 11:30 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Rolling coal on an elderly couple? Mmmm tough guys with the small appendage syndrome?
    I've had a few looking to do that to me, but I'm 6'6" @ 240 lbs and ugly as a stump, so they think better of it. I did have an F250 powerstroke fogged with propane pull me off an interstate ramp once. Odd smell but pretty clean and lightning fast.

4Runner fun likes this.
  20. Oct 24, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    DStar920

DStar920 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Vehicle:
    I'm not a big guy, nor do I look for confrontation. After the amount of time I've spent in Iraq and Afghanistan, a quite life is what I strive for. I started BJJ when I got out in 2013 more for mental health then anything. But watching a sweet old couple get treated like, frankly just pissed me off. All I really wanted was for them to feel the helplessness that the old couple felt. Honestly there was a little happiness inside me when my ankle got fully locked behind my knee, and the look on his face when he realized he was fucked.

21. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    You did buy a chick vehicle.

As the estrogen slowly accumulates in you body, one day you'll notice you've grown man boobs.

Maybe we could get a class action lawsuit going for shitty paint and man boob growth?

22. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:

23. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:55 AM
    MountainMan

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    I had those before I bought the 4Runner... But I did add Casablanca to my list of movies on Prime for some weird reason and can't stop watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, either...

24. Oct 24, 2020 at 7:26 AM
    thirdyota

thirdyota shouldn't be trusted

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    "Did I buy a chick vehicle?"

Only if you bought a Limited, Lunar Rock Pro, or a 2WD 4Runner..lol

:D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    toy33, FJ_4runner and DRobs like this.
  25. Oct 24, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Steel Magnolias is the go to movie for us older broads.
    2012 Limited FTW

26. Oct 24, 2020 at 7:38 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    I see mixture of men and women driving 4Runners out here in the Ozarks of Missouri. Same for Jeeps. Here in the Bible Belt everyone waves at everyone. Which I like.

What I see frequently out here in cattle country are full size gas and diesel pickups pulling utility trailers with riding lawn mowers on them.
    I figure most folks don't want to scratch up the bed on their $60K truck plus don't want to deal with heavy vehicle ramps. It's much easier to drive a mower or load bags of dirt on to a utility trailer.

2Toys likes this.
  27. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:03 AM
    Toy4Ever

Toy4Ever New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessica
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver T4R SR5
    Predator Pro Step Nerf Bars TRD Pro 17in. Allow Wheels Toyo Open Country A/T II Tires 285/70/17 Spacer Lift kit
    I live in Arizona and lots of people of different ages and generations of 4Runners is driven by everyone. I've always enjoyed big vehicles and when I could affort it, I bought my 2013 Tacoma and loved that truck. But then I got a big dog, who grew up in the Tacoma but eventually needed more space in the back. I've always loved 4Runners and have thought about getting one for the past couple of years but the timing was never right. Not to mention I'm a big fan of Toyota. Well after moving back home with the parents due to some unfortunate circumstances, I saved enough money for a brand new 4Runner. My dog now has more space in the back and we take it camping also. I will admit that even though I love looking at cars, I did not understand the ins and outs of them, until I bought my 4Runner and was introduced to forums. Im pretty proud of myself for what I've learned on this forum and it's all thanks to you guys.

28. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:04 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Vehicle:
    Hey MMM is a great show. No judgement here.

Thatbassguy and Singleminded like this.
  29. Oct 24, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    BAD WLF

BAD WLF New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 Premium 4x4
    Tint, Weather Tech mats, LED headlights, and more coming soon.
    As a male that owns a 4Runner in Southern California (Riverside/Norco area) I see a good mix of women and men driving one. Mostly men in modified 4Runners and women in stock, but then you get the occasional modded 4Runner, FJ, or Tacoma with a female driver and I think it's great!

I don't know about SoCal men that own 4Runners are all feminine, but I think it's great that a vehicle can transcend beyond a single, stereotypical group.

I agree with FJ_4Runner. In SoCal, you have a very diverse population, so it's kinda like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get when you spot any particular vehicle modded or not.

In response to Dillusion, I say, drive what you want. If you like it, then good for you!

I've daily driven everything from a Camry, GTI, Lancer, Prelude, and Corolla to a Ram 1500, Jeep XJ, Jeep JKU, FJ Cruiser, Jeep Wk2, 2019 Ranger, to my 4Runner. I've never felt insecure at all, because as much as I love people complementing me on my modded vehicles, I don't care what the haters have to say. :cheers:

30. Oct 24, 2020 at 3:20 PM
    MountainMan

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    I actually need a truck, and had a paid off newer Ram 1500 that was mildly lifted when my daughter moved to Japan and couldn't take her beloved Rowdy with her. He was a 100lb Great Dane/Lab mix and the sweetest and best dog in the world.

Sadly, he was ten when I adopted him and within a few months, he was struggling to get into the back seat of my Ram, so I sold it and paid cash for a late-model Yukon. That was fine for a year or so until it started falling apart, so I bought the 4Runner. I wanted a Tundra in the worst way, but needed a comfortable place for Rowdy, plus room for passengers.

Sadly Rowdy passed away in June, a month shy of his 14th birthday, so I may get a Tundra when the 4Runner is paid off in a couple of years.

pEq_Lj1URqS8SliosXsUdA.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top