1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Delivery taken thanks to all!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by mac1usa, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Jun 8, 2021 at 10:49 AM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Just wanted to say thank you to all on this forum. I took delivery of my new 4R ORP this morning. There are a lot of great guys and gals on this forum that have helped guide me through this process over the many months on this forum. I placed and order for my vehicle on March 11th, produced on April 27th and delivered to dealer and me today on June 8th.

My understanding is it left Japan on the freighter May 1st, to California, rail to Chicago and then truck hauler to Michigan. Hopefully this gives a sense of timing for those who have ordered their vehicles still in the pipeline.

Below is a pic just before delivery and I just got home. My dealer tells me they could only get 3 units ordered per month the last several months. Thanks again to all on advice and guidance. I have made a few friends here in the process.

Thanks again! Time to go fishing.

6706CA12-3C01-47C8-B1F1-055889411A6A.jpg

2. Jun 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM
    LakeEffect

LakeEffect New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Pro Lunar Rock
    Congrats buddy! I love it! Looks like you won the race :)

MazMan likes this.
  3. Jun 8, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    TrailGuy2016

TrailGuy2016 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium, Silver
    Raptor lights, TRD front grille, RCI Metalworks skid plates
    Sharp rig, congrats. My favorite color.
    I have the same wheels on my 2016 Trail Premium, but I love yours with the black accents on there.

I keep telling my friend that Toyota should keep a "legacy" model of Runners in this exact generation forever, and if you want one, you should be able to get one. I'd love to buy a 2035 that looks and works identical. But by then we'll all be in flying cars, right?

4. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:16 PM
    diverdon

diverdon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    21 t4r sr5 premium
    Congratulations that’s a sweet looking ride

5. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    New. Car. Smell. Enjoy! It feels like winning the lottery these days just to get an ordered vehicle in, I imagine...

KDSS or not?

2Toys and A&P like this.
  6. Jun 8, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    08TXRunner

08TXRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5P
    Great looking truck man - congrats!

7. Jun 8, 2021 at 3:47 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys, I opted not to go for the KDSS just thinking about any potential long term repair costs and to be honest I will not be your typical hard core off road guy. This vehicle replaced a 92 Explorer with full frame that I used primarily for fishing and towing my boat with.

I did spend some extra cash on a weather tec cargo mat (I got the OEM rubber mats) plus I purchased a car cover. I am probably crazy but I do not plan to drive it in the winter and will keep her in the garage covered up and start regularly (and drive on some clean days).
    ll
    I am also planning on getting a Weather tec bug deflector in the near term. My dealer tells me to be careful if I have frame coated with fluid film, apparently he has seen damage to rubber parts on some with fluid film; they are recommending a Ziebart or product such as that (rubberized undercoating). I figure since it's summer I don't have to be in rush for that decision.

It was actually fun to order a vehicle and choose exactly what you want and be updated during the build. This is the perfect size SUV for me and fishing and fits great in my garage as well.

I am really thankful I ordered just before the chip crisis began and all heck broke loose. All dealers of all sorts on short on inventory.

My buddy sold his 2016 4R SR5 with 111k miles to the same dealer I got mine from for $26k last night. He listed on autotrader and all sorts of dealers emailing him with bids and outbidding one another.

2Toys, A&P and toy33 like this.
  8. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    doc4216

doc4216 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    The Land of Cle
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Premium
    Dasaíta HU, Bilstein 5100s, AT Tires, Coveted grill lights
    Congrats on your 4R!! Here’s to many miles of smiles :)

2Toys likes this.
  9. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    KarlwithaK

KarlwithaK New Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Hey, I’m new here. Thanks for giving the timeline for delivery.

I contacted a dealer a couple weeks ago and told them I was interested in a TRD OP. They had one shipped on June 2 and said it should be available by mid July.

That seems similar to your timeline. By the way, for rust protection you might look into Krown rust prevention . They are a Canadian company, but have a few sites here in the US. They have a website you can check out.

They have a site here in St Louis and I took my Wrangler to them. I was very impressed with the results.

10. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    Matt83

Matt83 New Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Sharp looking truck!

11. Jun 8, 2021 at 4:37 PM
    Jjww81

Jjww81 New Member

Member:
    Congratulations!!!! I placed a order and deposit on 3/29 and build was 5/19. It hit the port today and I’m in Indianapolis. Do you know when yours hit the port? I can’t wait I’m sure your loving it right now!!!!

12. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:46 PM
    SmurFJ

SmurFJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Pro
    Congrats!!
    Don't use rubberized undercoating. It'll chip and moisture will get trapped under it creating a worse mess. If you store during the winter you're probably alright not doing anything. But I plan to use Fluid Film and HDMP on mine

13. Jun 8, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    MilkisRunner

MilkisRunner New Member

Member:
    Carlsbad | CA
    Vehicle:
    1997 4Runner SR5 4x2 3.4L V6 Desert Dune Pearl
    Congrats! That timeline doesn’t seem too bad! I just put an order in with my dealer for an SR5 Premium 4x4 on Friday and they told me 3-4 months which puts me at Sept/Oct. So we will see! :bananadance:

14. Jun 8, 2021 at 6:02 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    I looked back at my texts and mine left Japan May 2nd and arrived in California May 18th (delayed presumably with unloading issues backup at Port as we have read); it sat there and cleared customs on May 20th.

My next update was when it was on rail out west on May 24th and arrived in Chicago Friday May 28th. It sat in Chicago for holiday weekend of Memorial day and loaded onto a hauler approximately June 2nd. Then a long trek from Chicago to Michigan lol and arrived yesterday afternoon June 7th. Chicago is apparently a rail hub for vehicles from Japan coming out east this way.

Thanks for the tips on Krown I have read about that but heard as Smurf says not to use rubberized undercoating as well. I will probably go the fluid film route and just need to find someone who truly knows what to do. There is one independent shop near me and this guy owns a 4R himself and does his (he owns an independent repair shop).

The world has changed, my Explorer had rubberized undercoating and was fine in garage (no winters) for 29 years. Someone else told me that the rubberized stuff if hits wiring etal is a big pain to remove if you have an issue.

I bought this hoping to keep for many years (maybe not as many as 90's Explorer but a long time).

Jjww81 likes this.
  15. Jun 9, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    Congratulations !!! I too have a 21' TRD/ORP. Just turned 1,400 miles. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I do.
    Mine hit the port on the west coast on March 30. Then it took 6 weeks to the day to arrive at my dealership.

Rustproofing: In the 1980's and earlier, Ziebart was the only game in town (next to the cheap undercoating). I remember their logo: "It's either us or rust" LOL The process did work, but yes a PITA if it covers electrical terminals. But the vehicles from the 1970's and earlier were super rusty.
    Ziebart recently quoted me $400.00 to do my 4R. But, as mentioned above, I discovered Krown. The process goes on thin and clear and has no effect on electronics. I had it done on my 4R when it had 600 miles on it. Cost $140.00 and took an hour and a half. Very happy with the service and results. They do mention to maintain the warranty to have it re-done once a year.

KarlwithaK: Looks like we both live in the same City :)

Rick

16. Jun 9, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    Singleminded

Singleminded New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 4Runner Limited
    OEM LED foglights
    Congrats! So glad it worked out!

17. Jun 13, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    A big congratulation, wonderful; enjoy.

18. Jun 13, 2021 at 7:26 PM
    Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Member:
    Congrats! Glad to see you finally have it and start enjoying!

19. Jun 21, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    VentureTRD

VentureTRD New Member

Member:
    Blowing Rock, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Venture Nautical Blue Metallic
    Goodyear DuraTrac Tires P265/70R17 AEM Air Filter TRD Radiator Cap TRD Pro Leather Shift Knob TRD Pro Rubber Floor Mats Agency 6 Recovery Shackle Lamin-x Amber Fog Light Covers Red LED Interior Lights LasFit LED Turn Signals
    Ditto on not using any Rubberized Rust Proofing.

Had my 2013 FJ Cruiser done when it was new by the dealer. It still looked great, until you touched it and it was all mushy and crusty under the rubber surface.

20. Jun 21, 2021 at 8:36 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks guys. I wish there was to contact AMD the car care but who did all the 4R videos. I would really like to hear what he believes is the best protection.

It seems like fluid film is the consensus. AMD in his video did not say too much about how to protect your frame but said to protect it.

Hiluxforever likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top