1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dead OBD2 Port

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by ramawebb, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Aug 20, 2021 at 9:55 PM
    ramawebb

ramawebb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4
    Just waxed it.
    Can't get my OBD2 scanner to work. Here's the facts:

1. The scanner [Ultragauge Blue] works in another vehicle, but will not work in my 2001 T4R.
    2. The scanner does power up, so it's not a blown fuse.
    3. Terminals 4 [chassis ground] and 5 [signal ground] of my DLC3 read zero ohms to body ground.
    4. The DLC3 connector is in otherwise good condition - no visible cracks, loose terminals, etc. The terms look to be clean enough that I would expect them to work. I did [very gently] rough them up with a needle file to ensure good connection.

Ultragauge tech support was great - they confirmed compatibility with the vehicle and helped my trouble shoot every possible problem with the scanner, and, per item 1, it works in another vehicle, so the unit is fine. The only thing left to do is run down the bus line [terminal 7]. Anyone know how to check it without an oscilloscope? Anyone know where the other end of that wire is? I assume it goes to the ECU behind the glove box, but I can't find a wiring diagram to confirm this.

Any ideas?

Plx and thx!

2. Aug 21, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    It is hereby officially confirmed:

ScreenHunter_2993 Aug. 21 11.30.jpg

Does that help at all?
    Pat☺

3. Aug 21, 2021 at 12:00 PM
    ramawebb

ramawebb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4
    Just waxed it.
    Pat, you're awesome. Yeah, this is some progress. Would you have any idea where I can find these 'lil guys in the truck?

upload_2021-8-21_11-58-19.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Aug 22, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    ScreenHunter_2994 Aug. 22 12.07.jpg

Note the red arrows. I know they're easy to miss, but look carefully! :computercoffee:

E14 is the connector going into the ECU, so you want E14, pin 14. J6 pin C should be pretty easy to find. Locate J6 (follow the black line up from the it's label on the picture). Look for the white wire.

I used to work on a lot of Westinghouse radar systems. Since they only use white wires in their systems, we would joke that we knew where the trouble was: It's the white wire. :yes:

The ECU is behind the glove box. I have NO clue how to get in to the Junction/relay box where J6 is located. I think it may be under the Gauge set, but I may well be wrong on that. It may be as easy as just looking up under the dash panel, or maybe behind the central console, where the radio is located.

Hope this helps a little bit more...
    Pat☺

5. Aug 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    ramawebb

ramawebb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4
    Just waxed it.
    Pat, thanks again. Upon closer inspection of the wiring diagrams, and including the one you posted above, I noted a number of connections to various ECUs in and under the dashboard. For instance, I was able to locate the connection to the airbag sensor assembly; pin 12 of connector C21, which is behind the shifter. I read zero ohms between the two, which is good, right? Now I need to find that E14, which is cruise control, I believe. Also, E10-12, E10-13, E-10-17, E-10-21, and likely a few other.

J6 is illusive. I took off the radio and center console instrument panel bezel and went looking for it. Oh boy, there are about 30,000 wires back there. Luckily, they're not all white :) Please do add a reply if you have any other thoughts or suggestions. I need all the help I can get. Cheers, Ralph

6. Nov 19, 2023 at 4:13 PM
    Galdarn

Galdarn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Trail,
    So far: SSO Rock Sliders , Bilstien 6112 Ft , OME Rear Shocks & Springs LED interior lights, Skids : Engine, Transfer case, Transmission.
    ramawebb, Did you ever figure out how to fix your bad ODB2 port. I am having the same problem. I tried 2 different ODB2 port readers no lights - no power. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

7. Nov 20, 2023 at 6:22 AM
    ramawebb

ramawebb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4
    Just waxed it.
    Turned out my bluetooth reader was not compatible with my T4R and the second reader I used to confirm that my reader was OK was a bad reader. [shrugs]. If you don't have power to your reader, use a volt-ohm meter to test pin 4 for ground and pin 16 for 12v. One or the other has to be bad for you to have no power.

Galdarn and 2Toys like this.
  8. Nov 22, 2023 at 7:52 AM
    Galdarn

Galdarn New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Trail,
    So far: SSO Rock Sliders , Bilstien 6112 Ft , OME Rear Shocks & Springs LED interior lights, Skids : Engine, Transfer case, Transmission.
    Ramaweb,
    Thanks for the info, I tested the pins , ground and power are both good. I could not locate a fuse marked ODB & all the fuses test good ( the ones under the hood any way). Are there more fuses someplace else?
    I have replace my clock switch before when my horn stopped working. Its an aftermarket unit. Maybe that has a problem and is effecting other things?

The reason I wanted to use the ODB2 port is the airbag light came on so I guess I will test the sensor under the seat next

9. Nov 22, 2023 at 8:44 AM
    ramawebb

ramawebb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4x4
    Just waxed it.
    what year is your 4Runner, 2012? Mine is 3rd gen, so I don't have the docs for that year. I'm sure you can locate a fuse box diagram and/or service manual with a bit of googling.

Products Discussed in

To Top