1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Daytime Running Lights

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Alejandro, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Jan 29, 2021 at 1:42 PM
    Alejandro

Alejandro [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alejandro
    Vehicle:
    2021 Toyota 4Runner nightshade limited
    Hello friends, I have a question. I want to change the daytime running lights of my 2021 4runner nightshade to led but I can't get the exact bulb, I've already tried 3 different models and they don't light up, when I connect the two they don't light up and when I disconnect one the other lights up. What is the model that I want to buy? thanks

2. Jan 29, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    According to Toyota site it is already LED. Are you sure its not?

upload_2021-1-29_14-48-0.jpg

3. Jan 29, 2021 at 7:33 PM
    HornedOwl

HornedOwl New Member

Member:
    Washington State
    On my 2020 you can turn off the daytime running lights using the touchscreen. Make sure yours is on, maybe someone played with that feature at the dealership.

4. Jan 30, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    matoolie

matoolie Taking it a day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    The 2021 models with LED low and high beam use the LED in the projector housing for both beams. They do not use the halogen bulb in reflector housing for high beam as the other models. The halogen bulb is DRL function only. As a result, Toyota has changed the electrical power to the DRL bulb specifically for these models. At this time, none of the typical LED bulbs work. When LED bulbs are put in for the DRL the results the OP observed is what happens. Confirmed by many people with same results.

There is not a known LED solution at this time. I believe one or two companies are looking at it

5. Apr 30, 2021 at 1:39 PM
    MongoD`

MongoD` New Member

Member:
    MAYRETTA JAWJA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD ORP
    JUST STARTING
    I changed the halogen DRLs on my 2021 TORP (low beams already LED)...but you need to buy a anti-flicker harness to do it...
    Alla lighting has both the bulb and the harness pretty reasonable...it was easy-peezy but it employs the full high beam brightness which are too bright to some (I would rather be seen).
    https://allalighting.com/collection...fix-for-2004-10-toyota-lexus-drl-off-flashing
    Paired with a set of LED bulbs, it makes a nice presentation
    https://allalighting.com/collection...adlights-daytime-running-lights-drl-car-truck

6. Apr 30, 2021 at 3:20 PM
    matoolie

matoolie Taking it a day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    Just be aware with hi beams at full brightness you will be sending all that light into people’s rear view mirror, even during daytime. You will see drivers flip the switch on their mirrors to deflect the light. Happened several times when I was experimenting with leds in high beam and the led bulbs did not stay in long at all as a result.

7. Apr 30, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    j4unner

j4unner shootz brah..

Member:
    First Name:
    j4runner
    nCal
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5P
    lasfit. https://www.lasfit.com/
    I ordered my DRL to LEDs on my 2021 4R. HB3 bulb. I found that if you have your barking brake on it won't turn on your DRL until you release the parking brake OR shifting it in Reverse and back to Park will turn them on too. hope this helps!
    I used this brand bulb on the 4R, Taco and our Rav4..

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  8. Apr 30, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I don't think regular DRL / High beam solutions work for OP with the 2021 4runner nightshade.

Though I use multiple DRL / High beam options on my older 4Runner I don't think none will help OP.

9. Apr 30, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    MongoD`

MongoD` New Member

Member:
    MAYRETTA JAWJA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD ORP
    JUST STARTING
    Again...I said for some these may be too bright and for you that may be the case...but I've had this arrangement on my 4R for over 4 months, on most of the time and no flips or other problems noticed from drivers in front of me. I only run my DRLs during daylight hours to be seen - that's the purpose of DRLs to begin with. I think its strange that Toyota would have both LEDs and Halogens mixed on lighting package to begin with.

Products Discussed in

To Top