1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom build from a dealer - thoughts?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by siskawitz13, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Jan 17, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    siskawitz13

siskawitz13 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    Just moved to AZ and looking at my first 4Runners - leaning towards the TRD Offroad trim and adding some ground clearance but looking for feedback on DIY upgrades vs custom from the dealer.

Here is an example custom from the dealer - They are adding $6k to the price & a lot of other dealers are offering a ~$2k discount on base Offroads - this seems to be way overpriced so wondering if I am just missing something (assuming the don't come down on the sticker).

https://www.riverviewtoyota.com/inv...JTEBU5JR7K5644541/2019-Toyota-4Runner-Mesa-AZ

Dealer Upgrades:

- 285/70/17 BF Goodridge K02 tires with white lettering out (can be flipped to display black lettering)
    - TRD Pro 17 in black rims
    - Suspension is Bilstein 5100 in the front and rear
    - TRD Pro front grille
    - valence covers in the front and rear
    - Black badging overlays in the front and rear (not shown in the internet photos because it was just done)

2. Jan 17, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Can do the listed for less than $6 your self.

If you can talk them down and keep warranty even on the suspension since they installed it could be worth it.

siskawitz13[OP] likes this.
  3. Jan 17, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    jgcaps

jgcaps Lovin the Colorado Life.!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM TRD ORP KDSS 4Runner
    3" Icon Stage 2, 18x9 Fuel Beast wheels, 285/65/18 BFG KO2's, N-FAB Black Rock Rails w/removable steps.
    If there is any way you could take that $6K somewhere else for your mods I would do it... You'll get a lot more for your $$

4. Jan 17, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    DesertCanyons

DesertCanyons Professional Engineer, Civil/Structural

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM Trail Edition w/ KDSS, no sunroof
    ICON tubular Stage 7 lift (+2"), ICON Rebound wheels w/ Falken AT3W LT285/70R17 tires, Baja Rack flat utility rack and ladder, RCI skid plates, Domello rock sliders, Diff breather relocated, Baxter Performance remote oil filter, Weathertech floor mats, side exit exhaust, 2nd rear recovery point
    You can do much better on the choice of tires, wheels and suspension. These are not the best options. The TRD Pro rims are usually 7" wide. A better rim for a 285/17R/70 tire is an 8&1/2" rim. Icon or King 2.5" diameter
    shocks a
    re much better. I like the Falken or Cooper tires. You need to decide if you're driving them through mud or rocks before picking the tire. Here in So Cal I have little use for mud tires.
    The rest of the stuff is decorative that has no functional value.
    Put your money into rock sliders, a decent roof rack, better skid plates and maybe a ladder. Then think about a lift and bigger tires.
    The dealer is going to charge full retail, MSRP or higher, for anything he puts on the car. And he'll charge for labor. You can do all these mods yourself for less.

siskawitz13[OP] and jgcaps like this.
  5. Jan 17, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    siskawitz13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    Thanks - I think my next step will be to talk to some local shops.

jgcaps[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 17, 2019 at 1:38 PM
    ANNIE_GOT_A_RUN

ANNIE_GOT_A_RUN New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Too many to list...
    I'm in Scottsdale and would recommend talking to Right Toyota. They have a lot to choose from and are pretty straight shooters. I worked with Chris Nolan. Got my SR5 there last year and was a great deal with a smooth and fast process. I bought mine without any upgrades and was able to piece it together via some local vendors. Doetsch Offroads as well as RPM Fab do a nice job with leveling kits and lifts. Other than that, there is also SDHQ which specializes in 4runner builds but I believe they're much more expensive.

IMG_20190112_120846.jpg
    IMG_20190112_135309.jpg

7. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:31 AM
    siskawitz13

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Looking
    Awesome - was hoping someone local would see this; I like what you've done and will check out Right.

8. Jan 18, 2019 at 8:42 AM
    ANNIE_GOT_A_RUN

ANNIE_GOT_A_RUN New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Too many to list...
    Sure thing. Jeff Wescott is also a guy that is there. He does all their builds and makes those things look great. Also, you may want to join the "Arizona 4runners" group on Facebook.

9. Jan 20, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    tuc4r

tuc4r New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD ORP
    2018 4Runner ORP W/KDSS - ADS coil overs, ADS remote resi rear shocks, Total Chaos UCA's, Icon 2' rear springs, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, FN FX PRO wheels, AVID rock sliders, RCI Aluminum front skid, Bussman Fuse/Relay module, Canvas backs, Accessorides remote start, Rago Mole Panels, HID low beams, LED high beams, Morimoto XB fogs, Ceramic window tint, Ecotechne roof rack,
    From my experience, you can always do it better and cheaper on your own.just takes a little leg work, and you’ll be much happier.

10. Jan 20, 2019 at 7:02 PM
    ManBeast

ManBeast New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Jax FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRAIL
    The caliraised is strong with this one.

Products Discussed in

To Top