1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Current 4pro Xterra owner looking at 4runner off road

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tankcmdr, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jun 21, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    Tankcmdr

Tankcmdr [OP] The easy way is always mined!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road Premium
    Toytec BOSS suspension, Falken Wildpeak 285s, Baja utility rack.
    Hey Everyone,
    I have owned a Nissan Xterra since 06 either an offroad or 4PRO series. I have found them pretty indestructible, awesome offroad and pretty descent on the road. Sadly, Nissan has stopped producing them. Sooo... the next full frame suv is the 4runner. Sell me!

2. Jun 22, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    5thGen4Runner2015

5thGen4Runner2015 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey Toyota 4Runner SR5
    I had considered a used Xterra but ended up going with a used 4Runner and couldn't be happier with this vehicle. I've always loved the look of both trucks but now that I'm a 4Runner owner, especially the 5th gen, I think it's the best looking truck out there. Especially with all of the available options/mods for it, it just makes it a fun truck to own and tinker with. Not to mention the fact that I've seen multiple with over 300k miles and a few even over 400k miles and people report no major issues.

So for me, as someone who was purchasing a vehicle for the first one in a many years (I usually lease), I wanted something I knew would be reliable and last a long time, have plenty of space (I have the 3rd row - 5 kids), can pretty much go anywhere, looks great, and I can make unique easily with lots of aftermarket options. With this being my 10th vehicle, it is by far my favorite.

44357 likes this.
  3. Jun 22, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    Tankcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the input. I really like the looks of the 4runner too. I've been scouring the dealers within 50 miles and haven't found one that has what I want. I'll probably end up ordering one. Any input on what options I should get/avoid? I'll wait till warranty is done before any major mods. I run 70% highway, 20% rough/back roads and 10% off.

4. Jun 22, 2017 at 9:09 PM

44357 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC Taco - 2017 ORP Quicksilver
    @Tankcmdr Welcome to the forum!

I recently purchased 4runner Off-road (OR) Premium w/moonroof and w/o KDSS
    Minimized all the other options to few.

I believe you will be happy with the 4runner platform. Here are the options that I researched.

Pro: exclusive badges and colors + exclusive Pro wheels 17x7 + exclusive trd badged Bilstein shocks + exclusive front grill

Vs.

Trail/Off-road: normal badges and colors + trail wheels 17x7.5 + terrible soft shocks + normal grill
    Add (premium package): + Softex fake leather seats + heated signal side mirrors + auto dim rearview mirror + premium audio entune navigation

Options:
    KDSS: Improves on road handling (harder to lift/expensive repairs/aftermarket parts incompatibility)

Remote start: Engine shuts down when doors are opened?

Power Moonroof: Awesome IMO/More potential maintenance issues Note: Not available on Pro

Most the other options can be purchased cheaper online or from Craigslist (roof rack bars, sidesteps, all weather mats etc)

The used market is similar to Tacoma (do not depreciate much at all) and dealerships are not in need to deal on Trail/OR/Pro models. The cheapest and largest inventory were in Chicago and Florida in my buying mode.

The savings from buying a OR Premium over the Pro can be used on all sorts of parts (steel front bumper, suspension, wheels)

I searched Nationwide and used @ramonortiz55 buyer advice to maximize savings and buying power. https://www.4runners.com/threads/so-you-want-to-buy-a-4runner.3318/

Look forward to seeing what you end up going with and eventually build out.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    BigSky1 likes this.
  5. Jun 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    I love the Xterra.

Witness - Moab, 2015:

[​IMG]

OME lift, 265/75 16 tires, basket, etc. Took us on a kickass cross country trip and back.

The Xterra has a lot going for it - it is a simple truck that - as their early advertising campaign said - is everything you need, nothing you don't. There's something to be said for brute simplicity. It's also a lot less expensive than a comparable 4Runner (X to SR5, Pro 4X to Trail or TRD OR).

Having said that, I think the build quality on the 4Runner is better, and it's a "lifetime" vehicle (Nissan still has the SMOD issue with the current auto trans Frontiers and last year of the Xterras). I went from an Xterra to a 4Runner and was happy with my decision, although I did always feel that the 4Runner just had more shit on it than I wanted... didn't have that issue with the Nissan!

I guess now, if you want to buy new, you don't really have a choice... good luck finding a leftover 2015 Xterra.

BigSky1 likes this.
  6. Jun 23, 2017 at 4:30 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    For me, one of the biggest difference between the 4Runner and the Xterra is the ability to modify the suspension. With the 4Runner, you can easily replace the stock front struts with coilovers and have huge performance gains both on and off road, if done properly. With the Xterra, putting a coilover on is a lot more involved (and expensive).

Also, the fit and finish of the 4Runner is a lot better than the Xterra. Don't get me wrong, the Xterra's are a great vehicle that will last forever if taken care of, but they feel cheaper than a 4Runner. Lastly the resale value of a 4Runner is way higher than an Xterra of the same year.

7. Jun 23, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    bahndrvr

bahndrvr New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Melbourne, Fl
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 V8 4Runner
    2003 4Runner SR5 v8 - Temp Front: Top hat spacer 2.5" on Tacoma struts/springs Rear: TJM/King heavy extended Tacoma shocks 315 BFG AT KO2's (35's) Thrush Welded muffler and rear watermelon delete with turned exit K&N drop in, and extra filter delete Strengthened/Welded passenger side front diff mount Front diff drop - due to the top hat spacer and massive droop.... Scion headunit CB Other stuff done, 6th 4Runner:)
    I loved the pro-4x xterra with the 6speed manual! I miss them on the market! I loved my Titan Pr-4x as well! I have owned more Toyota products than Nissan but the Pro-4x line changed my view of Nissan! The Vq series of motors has changed my mind on them as well btw! Can't go wrong with either but the 4Runner is sold and actually is/was a slightly higher class! I get far better gas mpg with my toyotas than my Nissans! My xterra was not kept long but even with the six speed and stock tires I was getting better mpg out if my v8 4Runner on 285's!!!!

8. Jun 23, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 ORP
    Interestingly, I found the 4.0 in the Nissan got better power / acceleration and gas mileage than the 4.0 in the 4Runner.

4RMoreYears likes this.
  9. Jun 23, 2017 at 9:17 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Vehicle:
    2001 4runner limited silver millenium
    how much did you save off sticker?

10. Jun 23, 2017 at 10:08 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD As usual, saying something stupid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 (The Real) Trail Edition
    This should be enough reason here

IMG_4040.PNG.jpg

But really the Nissan is a great truck, but if you still want a truck based SUV the 4runner is your only choice. Unless you want a money pit, like the jeep which can catch fire on the trail.

BigSky1, 44357 and Palerider like this.
  11. Jun 23, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    Tankcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    JBTRD, Great pic... What does a guy from florida know about snow other than it drives old people to florida for 5 months?! Ok, letting go of my 4pro is like putting a loyal dog down. You will all be happy to know that I go in to the dealership tomorrow. Still up in the air about kdss.

5thGen4Runner2015 likes this.
  12. Jun 23, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    Tankcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    44357 (.44 .357 cool) What did you do to upgrade shocks if anything?

13. Jun 23, 2017 at 6:44 PM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Hey, it was just a joke. I know those nissans are great trucks, convinced my friend to buy a used one the other day, since he could not afford a 4runner. And the kdss, i did not get on my truck. If you are going to upgrade shocks and lift, and add skid plates it just makes things harder and more expensive. But i see its worth if you are going to rock climb and travel on city streets, help the truck hug corners or more flex more to keep all wheels on the ground.

Also im from North GA with black ice and times with some snow, i know it is easy to get in a ditch like that with one hit of a slick spot can happen to anyone.

14. Jun 24, 2017 at 4:49 AM
    Tankcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    That's a good point on the suspension. I think I might be leaning towards ordering the TRD pro suspension on a Off road premium. Other than that I'll go bare bones, I'll add sliders and a roof rack first thing.

15. Jun 24, 2017 at 4:58 AM
    Tankcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for the advice, It did help in making some choices! I don't go to the dealer until 2 (eastern) so any last minute guidance is appreciated. I'm going to ask about warranty issues on the suspension, if changing it doesn't void anything then I'll order an off road premium with no upgrades.

16. Jun 24, 2017 at 6:20 AM
    JBTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Thats is exaclty what i did. I have a trail, which is a TRD offroad base with preimu audio and nav. I put on the TRD Pro suspesnsion and wheels. Next is the front grill. But see if you can work it out in your negotiations, if toyota orders it and installs it, it will not void your warrenty at all.

44357 likes this.
  17. Jun 24, 2017 at 6:30 AM
    Tankcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! That is good to know before I meet the dealer.

18. Jun 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    Tankcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Ok...My evil plan didn't go quite as planned (No plan survives first contact intact). I am now the proud owner of a 2017 TRD Offroad Premium. Magnetic grey, moonroof, etc. I pick it up Fri.

TN_TRAIL, bahndrvr, BigSky1 and 4 others like this.
  19. Jun 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM

44357 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC Taco - 2017 ORP Quicksilver
    ...about 7-10% off msrp of my build list. Savings paid for taxes and some extras...

357 mag lever and revolver is my ideal two gun one caliber set up.

Going TC/Kings this time around.

Congrats on the new 4runner! Excited to see your eventual build out.

Products Discussed in

To Top