1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cruise control running a higher RPM than necessary

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Hknopp33, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Jan 11, 2022 at 3:58 PM
    Hknopp33

Hknopp33 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrison
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Hello friends, new to the community but I need to know if anyone else deals or dealt with a similar issue.
    Driving from Texas to Kansas to visit this week, I noticed we ran out of gas substantially faster than we have in the past. Like 80 miles short. So on this trip I noted that my cruise control holds steady around 3200 rpms even on relatively flat terrain to keep us at 83mph. However I can hold that with my foot (no cruise control) at around 2200-2400 rpms. Now I can ascertain this is why I ran out of gas faster, I just wanna know if anyone knows why.
    Feedback appreciated, thanks

2. Jan 11, 2022 at 4:15 PM
    Startrek

Startrek New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Are you sure you were in D (5th gear - overdrive ) and not in a S (4th gear - straight). Make a test today. May be you have intermittent engagement 5th gear by never servicing transmission? Also wind and driving uphill make a difference. May be costly transmission repair, or may be operating variables (you).

Overland WT and Hknopp33[OP] like this.
  3. Jan 11, 2022 at 5:18 PM
    Hknopp33

Hknopp33 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrison
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I'm very certain I was in D and not S, but I was going to be double checking that. And I did not make this post without consideration of hills, hence (relatively flat terrain). However I can't speak for the transmission technically. Bought it used 34k miles ago and haven't had it in a shop. Never had an issue with it and I've done all of my own general upkeep, so it may be time for a trip to the shop. Intermittent engagement is new to me so I really appreciate the feedback

4. Oct 24, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    Kuzcoisthebest

Kuzcoisthebest New Member

Member:
    @Hknopp33
    I am having this same issue in my 22 TRD pro. were you able to resolve this issue?
    If i tap the gas peddle, it will force the car to shift, but it should be shifting automatically
    I see the issue mostly on flat terrain, cruise control set between 70-85 mph, no cars in front of me
    It also happens on inclines but I am not sure if that is the same issue or just due to the incline.

5. Oct 24, 2022 at 2:30 PM
    Overland WT

Overland WT Grumpy Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Many with many more to go
    The math does not add up no matter how adamant you are you were in O/D while in cruise. The vehicle can not travel at 83mph, be in 5th and do 3200rpms. Mechanically it is impossible.

When you engage cruise control it maintains the MPH you set and then adjusts accordingly. It clearly was is downshifting to 4th while in cruise but tis so subtle, you don't notice it. When youre foot is on the pedal, you are more actively engaged with the vehicle and notice things like downshifts.

In addition, there was a cold front moving into Texas from Colorado and Nebraska over the weekend. Even a 10mph wind will make a difference with these bricks on wheels.

Products Discussed in

To Top