1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cowling caps fit & finish

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by rsimi72, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Dec 31, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    rsimi72

rsimi72 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium - Gray
    If you have a second, can somebody take a look at the debris caps at the outside bottom corners of their windshield? That fill the space between the cowl edge and the fender/A-pillar? One of mine was making a rattling/tapping noise so I replaced it. There are two clips that clip into holes in the cowling. When driving the cap was moving up and down causing the rattle sound. My new cap is quiet but the final fit & finish isn’t on par with the rest of the 4Runner. I have looked at a few others in parking lots and have seen mixed results. I’m wondering if these caps are just a poorly designed part. If so, I wonder about shaving the two rubbery clips off the underside of the cap and securing it with 2-sided tape?? The cap still would clip in by the A-pillar and under the windshield so I am pretty confident it’d be secure. Or am I the only person bothered by the fit? Thanks!

8608A717-8FD6-4B54-A772-14723C692D11.jpg
    B139D29F-F267-41B1-8B3D-29902A27DC23.jpg

2. Jan 1, 2018 at 6:10 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    I have used various types of material to lock in place these plastic parts. dow 795 sealant works good as it is designed to be UV resistant extreme temps and sticks to any solid material. comes in huge colors available...very soft so removable .. use mineral spirits to clean up and mess you make ..

another product is a black sticky material used to hold construction materials in place not double sticky foam but a solid petroleum tar like product . seals leaks also and I have used it to seal fasteners on exterior to prevent water intrusion ..

the plastic contact points will over time wear the paint out then the rust . should be protected from this type action .

rsimi72[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top