1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooper STT PRO review!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by T-Rex266, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jul 23, 2016 at 7:05 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 [OP] Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to write a quick experience about the Cooper STT Pros thus far. Granted, I have only had these tires for just over 90 days, I felt I should give an update on my personal thoughts as I have suggested these tires numerous times, and several have followed suit!

Unfortunately, (or fortunately- depending how you look at it) we are in summer so I was unable to give these an in-depth review in our snow.

A little background on Cooper:
    Cooper Tire & Rubber Company has a manufacturing history spanning just over a century and is currently the fifth largest tire company in North America. Cooper offers a handful of different SUV and light truck tires from very mild to all-terrain to mud-terrain. Each tire in the lineup is meant to provide competent highway handling but serve a second need in the dirt, with increasing levels of tread aggressiveness.

Features and Benefits:
    The Cooper Discoverer STT Pro is summed up to be the biggest, baddest and most extreme tire that Cooper has ever made. Get ready to pulverize the streets and hammer through the mud with Cooper's newest offroad offering. This mud terrain tire is constructed with a 3-2 inner tread pattern and large depth side bitters to enhance traction, handling and steering response. The Discoverer STT Pro is equipped with 3-ply Armor-Tek 3 carcass construction for maximum strength and durability in any off road terrain. Coming through with great refinement, this tire also delivers on road with a quiet tread design, and solid road manners; Cooper's Discoverer STT Pro will truly show everyone what your truck or Jeep is made of.
    Source
    • Armor-Tek 3 carcass construction: stronger and tougher composition to provide more protection in extreme off road conditions.
    • M+S rated: Durable in snowy and muddy conditions with enhanced traction.
    • Flex groove: maintains flexibility of the STT PRO, for a smoother ride.
    • 3-2 inner tread ribs: delivers excellent handling, traction and even treadwear.
    • Large depth side bitters: improves grip and traction on loose surfaces.
    • Staggered tread pitch: delivers a smooth and quiet ride, despite the large, biting lugs.
    Dry Traction: The grip is great! I am running the 35" (305/70/18) STT Pro's and their ability to stay in line with minimal correction at the wheel is definitely top notch! With as bad of roads as we have in CO, the wander was minimal in comparison to previous tires I have ran in a 35" (or close to) size.

Wet Traction: In CO, we sustain a decent amount of rain during our early/mid summer months. Actually, flooding is normal at some points. I had the opportunity to take them down some flooded roads (safe to travel) and multiple wet streets. On my previous set of tires (Nitto Terra Grappler G2's; 295/70/18) my tires would hydroplane in small, unavoidable flood spots leaving my heart bouncing out of my chest at times. I have yet to experience this with the STT Pro's!

Road Noise: I have several personal friends who run the STT Pro's in this size and prior to obtaining these tires, it was a large concern of mine due to fearing they would be as noisy as the Toyo M/T Open Country's I ran on my last truck. Despite having personal friends who stated very similar, I needed to find out myself.

To much of my surprise, these tires are not close to, or even half as noisy as the Toyo's!
    These tires are surprisingly quiet for such an aggressive tire. These are the quietest M/T on the market. There is some "road noise", but not as loud as you would think. They are louder than the KO2's, but not much.

In Closing, I would easily run these tires again! I have recommended them to multiple users on this forum, and other social media sites that took my word and share similar thoughts on this tire. So, if you're on the edge of purchasing these- Just do ETTTTTT!

Cooper1.jpg
    Cooper2a.jpg
    Cooper4a.jpg
    Cooper3a.jpg
    Cooper5.jpg
    Cooper6.jpg

wnelax04sr5 and Bob like this.
  2. Jul 25, 2016 at 9:35 AM
    Relentless

Relentless Offroad armor Fabricating beast! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks NV
    Vehicle:
    05 Limited 4.7 V8, long travel, dual locked
    Lifted on 35s and Relentless Armored, too much to list!
    Really like my STT Pro's on my 4runner so far as well (only about a thousand miles on them as it's not a DD). Mostly a trail rig, but does see highway between trails and camp spots. I too am blown away at how quiet they are and their smooth road manners for the aggressive tread. WAY better than the Nitto Trail Grapplers I ran last on other 4runner and my tundra currently. Very happy with my decision to go back to another set of Coopers as I had a different set on a Tacoma about 8 years ago that proved to be one of my favorite tires.

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2016 at 2:07 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Thanks for the reviews and the comments because this is one of the tires I'm really considering. Now I just have to see if I can get a 33in tire in them.

Blue

T-Rex266[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 22, 2016 at 9:19 PM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    This will be my next tire on my 99 for sure. Seems like it can do it all and pretty well for that matter. Have talk to a few local guy who feed cattle with them and use the hell out of them and they harley have to use 4x4 now. They love them around this neck of the woods lol...

Relentless and T-Rex266[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top