1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cooling system questions on 92 4runner 3.0

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Papinbrew, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Apr 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM
    Papinbrew

Papinbrew [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    92 3.0 4runner BAMF
    I'm a new member as I'm helping my roommate with his 92 4runner. I'm a member of jeep cherokee forum, and a few motorcycle forums. I'm helping him with maintenance as its kinda neat that he's sold his brand new pickup in trade for a vehicle that he plans on maintaining (with some help) and lasting a while.

His 4 runner is sweet. It appears lifted, but might not be. It's got 235/85-16 tires on it now and the rear sags. He says he bottoms out and scrapes when he loads up. He just bought some OME springs on ebay for a good price too, that he's gonna have put in.

I'm starting this thread mainly about questions about the cooling system.

We are working on a coolant system flush, which we sort of completed with the hose twchnique, flushed his heater core, radiator, and I hope the block. His radiator has a hairline Crack in the front which I attempted to torch solder, but didn't hold. I think it needs to be drained to work. It's an automatic too so it has trans cooling lines in the radiator. On further research I saw an outlet on the water pump that was blocked and plugged with a bolt ghetto style using hose clamps. I did a little googling and saw that the output is supposed to go to an oil cooler somewhere, but I couldn't find the line it's supposed to hook up To. I pulled the blocked and plugged line to see a wedge of chalky deposit and left it. Reattached, hooked all back up and finished my day off helping my roommate for free.

Please let me know your thoughts on this, I'm all ears, and ready for tech advice to proceed. Also, thoughts on ebay radiators, or should I pick up a spectra from autozone with warranty? General maintenance requirements for towing capability? He's ready to throw down and get maintenance done, and I'm his first resource of knowledge. I just need some better guidance my self.

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 1, 2016 at 8:59 AM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Welcome! I tweaked your title so it'll hopefully get the attention of folks who can help :thumbsup:

Papinbrew[OP] likes this.
  3. May 1, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue New Member

Member:
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    Vehicle:
    99 T4R LTD- 33's and locked, 01 SR5-,SAS Sold...
    A few things here and there. Still dreaming up stuff
    Sounds like your off to a solid start man.

4. May 1, 2016 at 11:58 AM
    Papinbrew

Member:
    Vehicle:
    92 3.0 4runner BAMF
    Thanks guys. Can anyone here confirm whether some models were not equipped with an oil cooler or was it all standard issue?

5. May 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM
    Papinbrew

Member:
    Vehicle:
    92 3.0 4runner BAMF

Products Discussed in

To Top