1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant issue/possible leak?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Kindakooky858, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Apr 28, 2019 at 6:06 PM
    Kindakooky858

Kindakooky858 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Glacier Metallic 2WD
    Suspension front/rear Sub/Amp and Head Unit upgrade
    My 01 3.4L motor in my truck seems to have a coolant issue. I replaced the rad cap this morning as the gasket material was almost completely gone, but still am unsure where its leaking from. Could be the upper/lower hoses but I feel like I would see coolant leaking from it. I filled it in the reservoir to right at the max line, drove home 30 miles from work, level stayed the same. I parked it, came back 2 hours later and the level had gone down about 1.5 inches. Looked on ground under truck and yeah theres some coolant on ground but not enough to account for the fluid lost since parking. What could possibly be the issue? Is the coolant accumulating somewhere? Planning on taking it to the shop tomorrow for a pressure test. Just hoping to possibly fix it on my own since I'm mechanically inclined. Any advice helps. Thanks

2. Apr 29, 2019 at 5:35 AM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    Any major water vapour from the exhaust on start up?

3. Apr 29, 2019 at 7:24 AM
    Kindakooky858

Kindakooky858 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Glacier Metallic 2WD
    Suspension front/rear Sub/Amp and Head Unit upgrade
    None at all. Since posting this I actually found the problem. My rad cracked on the very top. About a 7 inch split just to the left of the rad cap...I squeezed the upper rad hose and I could see coolant oozing out of it which all makes sense now because that's where fluid was being "cooked off" and leaving that white residue. Theres spots everywhere on the left side where the crack is. I figure I'll swap the radiator out today myself along with new hoses and cross fingers that was it.

HoBoDanny likes this.
  4. Apr 29, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    HoBoDanny

HoBoDanny Dude...

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 V6 4WD 4Runner
    RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch Light Brackets Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265 70R17 113T Tires 1.25” Wheel Spacers TPMS Bypass Mod Hydrocarbon Filter Removed Merca decal 2” leveling kit front only Black headlights
    Awesome! Way better problem than a head gasket. :yes:

TWJLee likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top