1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Control panel add a fuse question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mwhres145, May 4, 2022.

1. May 4, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    Mwhres145

Mwhres145 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road
    Hello,
    Working on installing a control panel to my 2022 off road 4 runner with a push button start.
    Currently looking at the engine compartment fuse box and the only fuses that don’t have constant power are high/low beams left/right and Multi port injection system.
    I obviously don’t want the panel getting power when the vehicle is off.
    Currently tapped into EFI NO.2 multi port injection system 7.5 amp fuse.
    Not sure if this is the best fuse to tap into? The add a fuse kit also comes with a 10A fuse for the panel, so I don’t know if tapping into a 7.5 fuse is okay. Thoughts or suggestions, what has everyone else used for their add a fuse/control panel?

2. May 5, 2022 at 12:05 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Well, if you have a 10A fuse downstream of a 7.5A fuse, the lower rated fuse will fail before the higher rated one. It would do you you much more good to either draw off one of the very high rated FL's, or directly off the battery.

To avoid having power on the control panel with the key off, you can wire a relay onto a key switched source. Say EFI #2, for example. Then have the relay switch the direct feed off the battery, to you control panel's input, through the 10A fuse.

Does any of that help at all?
    Pat☺

3. May 5, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    BobbyB

BobbyB Where the road ends, Fun begins!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2021 White TRD Off Road
    SSO Slimline Bumper Warn Evo 10s winch Bilstein 5100 shocks Dobinson Springs (front and rear) JBA Upper Control Arms Baja Designs Squadron Pro Combo lights Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights RCI skids (engine, trans, Txfr and gas tank) CaliRaised sliders UpTop Overland Bravo Rack Auxbeam 6 switch panel Frac Harness with front camera Custom rear diff breather on firewall
    OP, you didn't indicate what exactly you are installing so my install experience may or may not help but FWIW...

I recently installed an Auxbeam 6 gang switch panel in my 4Runner. I made a bracket for he relay/fuse box to sit under the hood near the main fuse box. The power and ground for the relay/fuse box are connected under the hood (power directly to battery and ground to battery ground bolt on inner fender.

I installed the control panel in the wide cubby below the head unit and wired it so that the accessories wired to the relay/fuse box would only work when the vehicle was running or the ignition key was in the "accessory" position. I accomplished this by wiring an "Add a Fuse" to the inside fuse box (driver side kick panel) and placing in in the "acc" slot which has a 10a fuse. The control panel uses a 10a fuse which was already in the "Add a fuse" but the 10a from the 4Runner fuse box was a different style so wouldn't fit in the "Add a fuse" so purchased a 10a that would fit from the auto parts store..

I've attached a pic of the fuse box with the "Add a fuse" in place. Sorry about it being upside down but you can see the location of the "add a fuse" is the bottom right corner....

Hope this helps some..

Cheers,
    Bob

FuseBox Tap - 4Runner.jpg

4. May 5, 2022 at 1:03 PM
    Mwhres145

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road

Slightly confused, I apologize I’m fairly new to vehicle electronics. I am currently tapped into EFI#2, was thinking of maybe pulled the 10amp fuse the kit comes with and switching for a 5A, I wouldn’t imagine the control panel is gonna pull that much power.
    The relay off the battery and the add a fuse part is still confusing to me. My other option is off the low beam headlight fuse which is 10A. I believe the low beams are always on even when highs are turn on. So it would at least always work. Thanks for the help!

5. May 6, 2022 at 1:14 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    The reason I suggested a relay is so that the low current flow circuit (the key switched circuit you choose as a control circuit) will control the power to the 10A draw circuit of the control panel you want to install. Also, that way, it's not powered without the key being on, as you specified. You can select a circuit that is ON when the key is in the ON position, or one that is ON when the key is in ACC or ON. Like, for one that is active when the key is ON, that EFI is a good choice. For the other choice, the radio circuit would work well.
    The reason I suggested running the control panel you're adding directly off the battery is that the circuits already in the truck are already set up for a certain current draw, and adding a 10A draw circuit to one may well constantly blow it's fuse. By running your control panel off the battery, you eliminate that problem.
    Thus, by putting in a relay switched on and off by the key, you solve both problems cheaply and easily. You have your control panel switched by the key, AND you aren't adding any appreciable draw to any extant circuit in you truck. Including any circuit directly run off the key. Most of them are either fairly low current draw, or controlled by relays off the key. They key switch isn't all that heavy duty, after all.

Does that answer your questions?
    Pat☺

erfer1 likes this.
  6. May 6, 2022 at 8:27 PM
    Mwhres145

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road
    yes that answers my questions thank you. Now I just need to find a good schematic of how to wire it, other than relays that come pre installed into a harness I have never wired one myself. Again appreciate the help!

7. May 7, 2022 at 12:07 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    I'll see if I can find some kind of schematic drawing software, or a schematic of what I mean. You do NOT want to see something I draw freehand. I can't make a straight line with a ruler. It's sad...

Glad I was a little help :)
    Pat☺

8. Apr 15, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    ccuse62

ccuse62 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Pemium
    lots
    Hi All,

Quick heads-up -- i tapped into the EFI2 fuse to power my Switch Pro button-pad. Worked fine for months, and then all of a sudden, my ECU started throwing errors: Check Engine, Trac Off, and another green light. Removed the tap, and replaced 7.5A fuse, and all problems stopped. I now tapped into the Trailer Brake 30A and absolutely no problems. I do not tow frequently.

Magiriano likes this.
  9. May 24, 2023 at 12:00 AM
    Magiriano

Magiriano New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex M.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD PRO
    Thanks for the update.
    Is the Trailer Brake 30A in the fusebox under the hood or in the cabin?
    I have a similar issue, I'm working on installing a dual battery set up on my 2022 TRD PRO and I need to tap an ignition fuse for the RedArc charger.
    I don't wanna use the fuse box inside the cabin as I know that the lid won't close with a fusetap..

10. May 24, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    ccuse62

ccuse62 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Pemium
    lots
    Indeed -- the 30A fuse for Trailer Brake is found in the fuse box next to the battery. Mine has been stable since moving it.

Cheers

C

Magiriano likes this.
  11. May 24, 2023 at 9:53 AM
    Magiriano

Magiriano New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex M.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD PRO

Thank you kindly for your reply.
    Going now to hunt it down.
    Alex

Is this the one, 30A circled in red?
    Thanks again.

Screenshot_20230524_105800_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2023
  12. May 30, 2023 at 7:50 AM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    OEM Crossbars OEM Hood Deflectors OEM Running Boards Tints
    Off - Topic.
    Newbie to car mods too.
    But i did successfully install Mudguards and Dongar Technologies USB Mirror tap for my DashCam this week.

Ordered the Raptor light... looking at Fuse tapping into IGN 10A in the Engine Fuse bay.

or Is the Towing Brake Fuse 30A a better option?

13. May 30, 2023 at 1:47 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    If I am understanding correctly, the Raptor lights come with their own fuse in the wiring, correct? IF they have a fuse of their own, you could, and I would, tap directly off the battery for a power source.
    If they don't have their own fuse in their power wire, you need to find out what fuse is recommended for them. Then you can tap off an empty fuse slot in one of the two main fuse panels. One in the engine compartment, which is what I would choose, and there's also the one in the cabin. That way you can put the right fuse in, without adding any more load to any existing circuits.

Does this help any?
    Pat☺

14. May 30, 2023 at 2:24 PM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    OEM Crossbars OEM Hood Deflectors OEM Running Boards Tints
    That helps.... Comes with Tap a fuse and Ground. I would keep it same as 10A if do use the IGN ; IGN 3.
    Definitely in the Engine bay. So i can easily take it off for any major service while still under factory warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top