1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Constant Brake “warping”

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Chonomichl, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Jan 27, 2022 at 4:53 PM
    wsu_runner

wsu_runner Just lurking...

Member:
    I've never had rears wear faster than fronts, but I have had fronts wear out too quickly because the rears were out of adjustment and not doing their share of the work. (note this comment is specific to front disc/rear drum configs; I can't recall one way or the other with our four-wheel-disc vehicles).

2. Jan 27, 2022 at 5:43 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I’ve read about this too. My 2019’s rear brakes are a little more worn than the fronts at 80k miles. As I understand it, it is to help with nosedive, plus to balance the braking better. On previous vehicles, the fronts would wear out much faster than the rears. Like 100k miles sooner.

3. Jan 27, 2022 at 6:15 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    so you do not work on your vehicle ..... now many forum members ask questions on how to fix a failure...and then do the work with correct fixes.
    the vehicle auto repair shops throw off the old parts and slap it on !!!!!!!!!!
    I work with all my vehicles . I still own a 1984 camaro bought it in july 1984..............
    I inspect my 2016 runner .. when I bought it in 2016 in july I had to bleed the brake calipers new. the air was in the brake system.. I inspect my runner every year and when I rotate the tires I clean up any rust on the brake components, and I lube the rubber components with silicone brake grease.
    the brake pads had a couple of brake pads binding and then I , filed the brake pad backing plate....

my brakes look like 80K miles changed ,,, pads are wearing all the same , front rear left right....

4. Jan 27, 2022 at 7:11 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black SR5 aka the Batmobile
    Lots of goodies
    Front brakes have far more stopping power than rear brakes. Never heard of any vehicle portioned/metered for rear bias. Maybe a rear engine or mid engine car, but not normal ones. Edit: In fact, it is not unusual to get double the life out of rear drum brakes than you do out of the front discs on the same vehicle.

SlvrSlug and rickystl like this.
  5. Jan 28, 2022 at 1:10 AM
    rickystl

rickystl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD/Off-Road Premium
    That may be why my 2010 FJ Cruiser would experience "slightly" more wear than the fronts.

6. Jan 28, 2022 at 9:10 AM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    There is no way in hell you would want the 4Runner to have rear biased brakes.

The front brakes do most of the stopping, the real ones are just to keep your vehicle pointed in a straight line as anyone who has driven with drum brakes in the back would attest to.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  7. Jan 28, 2022 at 12:38 PM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    rear drum brakes are constantly adjusting them .. now the disc brakes are not adjusted ? LOL .....
    my 1984 camaro has rear drum brakes my boat trailer has drum brakes I adjust the drum brakes every year !

my 2016 runner has disc brakes and those pads are wearing the same wear .bleed the brake calipers all when new the ........
    my family member has a 2019 tacoma .. he has rear drum brakes well the front rotors are distorted and the rear drum brakes he has to adjust those rear drum shoes ............30K miles on it the front disc brakes increase more braking when the rear brake shoes wear out and then the front rotors get over heated and get distortion.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  8. Jan 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM
    BionicRandy

BionicRandy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    TX Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black SR5 aka the Batmobile
    Lots of goodies
    Not sure what that is supposed to say, so I can’t form an intelligent argument. Brakes are front biased. I am not a certified mechanic or anything, but I know this to be true. Peace

9. Jan 28, 2022 at 2:02 PM
    Chonomichl

Chonomichl [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2013 Limited
    4 Inch Spindle Lift 2 Rear Springs Eibach Rear Struts
    Update! They put on new slotted rotors and the problem is gone…. For now. Gonna order new oem calipers eventually and then if the problem keeps happening I guess I’ll go to the dreaded dealership.

10. Jan 28, 2022 at 8:50 PM
    Maniac mechanic

Maniac mechanic New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fj40k54runner
    I love toyotas but I see some issues especially in the tacos and 4 runners. Calipers get sticky if the fluid isnt flushed every so many years. Calipers are prone to sticking and hoses do swell if a caliper has been hung from them. New calipers hoses ro start. Flush the system. Pay attention to how the springs that hold the pads off of the rotor are installed. The pads should not scrape on the rotor when the brakes are not applied. When bleeding do the right rear left rear first. The rear you bleed by opening the valve and turning on accessory for a few seconds. If your vehicle is keyless you press the start button without touching the brake pedal. The front brakes you can bleed the oldschool way. If you plan on running larger tires one day or pulling a load I suggest going to the larger 339 mm rotors and appropriate calipers that I believe came standard on the limited models. There are videos on the installation and the bleeding process.

11. Jan 29, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    Having rear biased brakes will not prevent you from nose dive - it will send you into the spin if you are taking curve while braking. It is not even racing 101, it's simple physics.

12. Jan 29, 2022 at 3:07 PM
    MAXIM

MAXIM New Member

Member:
    It might be your thing if you like drifting :)

13. Jan 29, 2022 at 4:32 PM
    wdsteven

wdsteven New Member

Member:
    It use to be not overly common However with the Impact Wrenches now so cheap just about every Yaaahoo wanna be Mechanic has one and is in a freaking hurry it is funny that I am reading this right now because this morning I was at the tire Shop to get a matching tire put on my spare rim and watched a Guy do just that to somebody's car with a impact and yeah sure he took the torque wrench to the lug nuts after however that only showed that they were tighter than the torque wrench setting.

Something done like this has potential of warping the rotors and aluminum rims, when I was a auto mechanic I did that exact same thing and the head shop mechanic smacked me one and made me take them all off and put them back on the right way.

RingSteel, SlvrSlug and ElectroBoy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top