1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Considering the wireless remote option for your Warn winch? - read this

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Cowboy59, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Aug 11, 2023 at 1:46 PM
    Cowboy59

Cowboy59 [OP] Enjoy the Adventure

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off-Road Premium w/ Predator package & KDSS
    I bought a Warn EVO 10s winch a few month ago and installed it on my 4R. Because of Warn's recall of the wired remote, which caused a delay in receiving the winch, they gave me a $100 credit to buy anything I wanted in their online store. I opted to buy the wireless remote controller that allows you to control your winch using the app on your phone via bluetooth.

To use the wireless remote you simply plug into your winch, hold the button to enable bluetooth, and pair with the app on your phone. It is a very easy setup process and the app is easy to use.

So, "What is the issue?" you may be asking. Well there is no switch on the receiver to cut power. So you must plug the bluetooth receiver into your winch each time you use it and unplug the receiver when you are finished with the winch. Otherwise, the wireless unit stays lit and is drawing down power from your battery. I often go 2 to 6 weeks without using my 4R. So this means that every time I need to use the winch, I have to plug in the wireless receiver. While not tragic, I have a hidden winch mount and so for me there is no real advantage to the wireless remote or the wired remote in most instances, other than not having a hand control unit with a long cord.

What is interesting is that Warn provides you instructions and zip ties to permanently mount the wireless remote unit, but did not consider that I would not want to have to plug the receiver into the winch itself each time I wanted to use it.

I am considering putting a switch in the wireless receiver cord to alleviate that issue, but I am disappointed that Warn did not consider the need for a switch built into the cord near the actual bluetooth receiver to eliminate the need to plug the unit into the winch every time you wanted to use the winch.

So was the app on the phone easy to use? Yes it was. However, while controlling the winch from my phone could be very useful in some circumstances, I actually prefer the tactile controls of the wired hand unit. It provides a much more secure feeling of when I depress and release the button, rather than potentially making a mistake while using my phone. I can operate the wired hand control while not looking at it. You cannot operate the winch using the phone app without looking at the phone in order to be sure you are pressing the correct button. Below is screenshot of the app. I think it would have been better had they put the battery meter between the two buttons, so you could confidently operate the winch without looking at your phone.

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 4.42.02 PM.png

I hope this helps someone with their decision making if considering the warn wireless option.

Should you like to know how I installed the winch, along with my SSO bumper check out the link below.

Install of my SSO Slimline bumper and Warn EVO 10s Winch

2. Aug 11, 2023 at 1:52 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Another idea to kill two birds with one stone is to add a winch power cut off in the engine bay.

https://a.co/d/69v25Dm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QMWDJHG

Then all you have to do is mount the switch somewhere in the engine bay. Having a cut off for the winch is nice because it prevents a runaway winch, as well as gets rid of an unfused hot wire at the front of your truck in case of an accident.

I ran the above switch/wire on my evo 10 S for awhile and never had any issues. And worst case, if the switch ever fails, it would be easy to unbolt the winch lead from the switch and put it directly on the battery again.

Old Tanker and Thacrow like this.
  3. Aug 11, 2023 at 5:45 PM
    Cowboy59

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that suggestion. That solution keeps me from adding a switch to the wireless receiver and to your point keeps the winch off unless needed.

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  4. Aug 11, 2023 at 5:49 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ------------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2024 JLU
    What's the deal with the recall?

5. Aug 11, 2023 at 6:40 PM
    Cowboy59

Member:
    N. Florida
    Vehicle:
    The manual controller could let moisture in and the winch could operate unexpectedly.

6. Aug 12, 2023 at 1:44 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    As stated already by @EatSleepTacos you should have your winch on some sort of switch so the power draw is a moot point.

In warn install guides they point out that many wire directly with no switch and have no problems. I'm fairly certain they encourage this so that people aren't afraid to purchase winches and don't want installs to sound difficult creating a barrier to entry/ purchase. imo fairly immoral.

I really came here to say that warn has the platinum series which comes with a really nice tactil blue tooth remote. Do not buy the platinum unless you want to seriously modify the remote. The remote kills its batteries stupid fast so you always have a dead remote.

Old Tanker likes this.
  7. Aug 12, 2023 at 7:17 AM
    Old Tanker

Old Tanker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    "Matilda" 2019 ORP
    Front: Hefty. Rear: LFD. Sliders: RSG. Armor: LFD and Bud Built. Tires: KM3. Switchpro.
    Same experience with my Warn Platinum. I have to re-charge the controller before every off-road run. The controller should have an off switch to eliminate the parasitic draw on its battery.

At least it comes with a long USB cord.

8. Aug 12, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    Thacrow

Thacrow New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I added a physical switch to mine and a larger battery. Worked well.

Old Tanker[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top