1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Computerized Traction Help

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 4x Old Guy, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Dec 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    I’ve had a 2003 Tacoma 4x with manual trans and txfr, open diffs, no mods, OEM size tires (Big-O Bigfoot A/T) since 2005 (250,000 miles) and I’ve never gotten stuck with it. I’ve added a 2019 ORP to my stable (bone stock except for the same Big-O tires that are on the Taco that are actually rebranded Cooper AT3s), but all the fangled traction control has gotten me stuck twice in the 1 year I’ve owned it.

First time one front wheel got buried above the axle in a hole filled with quicksand. Tried to back out with ATrac at max, but, the best I could tell, I never had all wheels digging therefore something should have hooked up but it didn’t. Not sure if the Taco would have faired much better, but it does have a couple extra inches of clearance. Got pulled out by a friend.

Second time I was going up road(?) that was going up the face of a sand hill (course sand with gravel mixed in). I got a good run at it (old dirt bike technique) but the Runner got slower and slower as it went up the hill and the hill started to taper off. Eventually it wouldn’t go any further. I got out and checked and found almost perfect tread marks in the sand and little to no evidence of any digging in. Was able to back down the hill without incident. Tried 2 or 3 more times with same result so I started backing out. Almost got stuck trying to back over a little 6 ft sand hill I had come over on the way in. Nearly the same results but after a few unsuccessful tries (it seemed like it wasn’t digging in but was just slowing down), then airing down to 20psi and driving backwards like a maniac, I was able to crest the hill and get out.

I’m a little spooked to really go exploring with my runner and would feel more confident in the Taco. Any ideas from those with more experience with the fangled computerized traction out there?

I have two goals. 1. Be able to dumb it down so it performs like my old trusty Tacoma. 2. Learn how to utilize all the fancy traction control to full advantage.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Damn nanny-fied.

3. Aug 20, 2020 at 3:56 PM
    atgparker

atgparker Cal Poly, ETME 1988

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White 4Runner 3.0 L
    Rebuilt Engine MLS and ARP on the heads, DT Header, 2-1/2" CARB compliant Flow-Master CAT with 2.0" Bosal CAT back Dayco 1-1/4" Spacers, SkyJacker M-Series Monotube Shocks, Ball Joint Spacers. 95-9006 K&N Air Cleaner, G-Plus Alum Radiator, ZIrgo 16" Fan, Derale Temp switch/relay
    Turn all that crap off, put proper lockers in it and get a pedal commander to allow you to accelerate the engine without firmware intervention.

4. Aug 21, 2020 at 4:54 AM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    Thanks for the info. That was my general intent, but, for me at least, the implementation of the “dumb it down” plan is what escapes me. Seems like whatever I try to enable or disable, depending on the xfer case setting at the time, it may or may not change anything. Then, to make matters more confusing, if I happen to turn off the engine (like to air down my tires or take care of other “business” next to the trail), when I restart the engine, everything goes back to the original settings, not necessarily the settings it was at when I shut it off (or that’s the way it seems anyway).

if you (or anyone) has a checklist for dumming it down, that would be appreciated. The “why” for each step would also be useful to help me better understand what’s going on. Thanks.

5. Aug 21, 2020 at 10:07 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    It’s hard to imagine how you could be stuck in an ORP with one wheel buried but I take your word for it. Sometimes technology needs common sense and a traction board. There is a bit of a difference of opinion on here about the value of computerized traction systems in modern 4x4 vehicles.
    I have an open mind, personally, but no axe to grind either way.
    My advice would be not to give up on the ORPs traction control system. Watch some videos and take it out and get it stuck somewhere with a buddy and try out the technology. Give it a good shot and be comfortable with it’s capability. I believe if you do that you’ll discover it works great but it’s different than hammering through. Slow and steady wins the race with traction control systems.

6. Aug 23, 2020 at 7:06 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    Cross posting this from your other identical post on this topic:

You need to turn off your traction control in 4 High.
    Hold the button until 2 lights pop up on your dash.

Note turning off the vehicle will reset the traction control.

I still haven't done any dune driving but... in my research if you plan to use 4 High, you should turn off the TC and then manually shift it to 3rd gear.
    3rd gear will prevent the transmission from going into higher gears which will kill power and momentum.

Shifting into 4 Low will automatically turn off the traction control.

When I off road I mostly use 4 Low and 3rd gear or lower. 1st gear 4 Low is great for slowly going down rocky hills.

Edited to add. Traction control kicks in with brakes when it notices a tire spinning.
    Basically TC kills your forward momentum when you are trying to go up a sandy hill.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  7. Aug 23, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    DRobs

DRobs New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Missouri Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR - MGM
    Pinstripes, lots of em. Plus a couple dents.
    Side note #2.

I've been really impressed by the traction control in 2wd (rwd). I frequently find it kicking in and acting like a limited slip differential in the rear.
    Where I live it's really hilly. Most recently I was looking at house and went down a crazy steep paved driveway. Going back up I was tempted to put it into 4wd but let TC do it's thing. It got me up that hill easy peasie with minimal tire slip.

nimby likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top