1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Computerized Traction Help

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 4x Old Guy, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM.

1. Dec 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    4x Old Guy

4x Old Guy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Riverside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver TRD Off-road Premium
    Big-O Bigfoot A/T tires
    I’ve had a 2003 Tacoma 4x with manual trans and txfr, open diffs, no mods, OEM size tires (Big-O Bigfoot A/T) since 2005 (250,000 miles) and I’ve never gotten stuck with it. I’ve added a 2019 ORP to my stable (bone stock except for the same Big-O tires that are on the Taco that are actually rebranded Cooper AT3s), but all the fangled traction control has gotten me stuck twice in the 1 year I’ve owned it.

First time one front wheel got buried above the axle in a hole filled with quicksand. Tried to back out with ATrac at max, but, the best I could tell, I never had all wheels digging therefore something should have hooked up but it didn’t. Not sure if the Taco would have faired much better, but it does have a couple extra inches of clearance. Got pulled out by a friend.

Second time I was going up road(?) that was going up the face of a sand hill (course sand with gravel mixed in). I got a good run at it (old dirt bike technique) but the Runner got slower and slower as it went up the hill and the hill started to taper off. Eventually it wouldn’t go any further. I got out and checked and found almost perfect tread marks in the sand and little to no evidence of any digging in. Was able to back down the hill without incident. Tried 2 or 3 more times with same result so I started backing out. Almost got stuck trying to back over a little 6 ft sand hill I had come over on the way in. Nearly the same results but after a few unsuccessful tries (it seemed like it wasn’t digging in but was just slowing down), then airing down to 20psi and driving backwards like a maniac, I was able to crest the hill and get out.

I’m a little spooked to really go exploring with my runner and would feel more confident in the Taco. Any ideas from those with more experience with the fangled computerized traction out there?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 2:12 PM
  2. Dec 3, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Missoula
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Damn nanny-fied.