1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch kit question for Toyota '97 3RZ-FE 4-cylinder with 5-speed W59 transmission

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by sodiumflouride, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Nov 13, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    sodiumflouride

sodiumflouride [OP] New Member

Member:
    Clutch kit question for Toyota '97 3RZ-FE 4-cylinder with 5-speed W59 transmission

The clutch pedal on a 3rd-gen 4Runner 2WD W59 transmission 3RZ-FE engine is engaging late.

There is not a single 3RZ-FE 4Runner W59 transmission clutch DIY for the 2WD '97 on the entire Internet that I can find, so I wrote up my own prospective detailed Frankenstein DIY from about a score of DIYs for other vehicles, which I will post later when I do the job.

Having never done a clutch myself, I'm now doing my homework where the first question I have is about parts to buy for a vehicle that is strictly road use by a woman (my sister) where I've already replaced the shifter bushings:
    [​IMG]

And I've replaced the clutch fluid with 2.7 liters of Redline MT-90:
    [​IMG]

And this past weekend I rebuilt the clutch master cylinder:
    [​IMG]

And the clutch slave cylinder:
    [​IMG]

After easily bench bleeding the clutch master cylinder:
    [​IMG]

And after making a total mess out of attempting to bench bleed the clutch slave cylinder:
    [​IMG]

I bled the system thoroughly with ATE DOT4 Racing Blue, which solved her immediate inability to shift when backing out of the garage problem:
    [​IMG]

Moving forward, the problem is that the clutch pedal engages very late in the release cycle.
    Hence, my question here is about choosing the right clutch kit for the W59 transmission

1. What's the practical difference between a 900 & 1200 foot pound pressure plate? (yes, I know, 300 foot pounds).
    2. Do you bother replacing non torque to yield pressure plate bolts?
    3. Do you change the teeth spacing in your flywheel?

I called Marlin Crawler (+1-559-252-7295) today who does not offer an OEM spec Aisin 900 foot pound pressure plate in any of their 5-piece clutch kits.

The only kit they have to fit my vehicle is the MCCL-128 for $300
    * Aisin 1200 pound pressure plate
    * Seico clutch with steel springs
    * Nachi pilot bearing
    * Nachi throwout bearing
    * Plastic spline alignment tool
    <https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/clutch-tacoma/1995-04-4cyl-1200-lb-clutch-kit>

They recommend pressure plate bolts even though they mentioned they're not "torque to yield", whatever that means to me in practice:
    * MCHT-411
    <https://www.marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/hardware/heavy-duty-pressure-plate-bolt-kit>

They also sell a flywheel where you can specify the teeth spacing, again, whatever that means to me in practice.
    * MCCL-221A
    <https://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/flywheel/flywheel-i4-27-liter>

Basic homework questions that someone with experience might know:
    1. What's the practical difference between a 900/1200 pound pressure plate?
    2. Do you bother replacing non torque-to-yield pressure plate bolts?
    3. Do you change the teeth spacing in your flywheel? Why?

Products Discussed in

To Top