1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clicking noise in LF wheel...

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by 4Runner fun, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Jun 13, 2021 at 5:25 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun [OP] Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    2019 4runner 10,200ish miles. I went to back out of the driveway the other day & heard a clicking noise coming from LF wheel.
    As we have a late summer vacation to Colorado planned I got scared.
    I forgot to check it yesterday due to the heat.
    Today I had to run to the store. It was obviously still there. I couldn't think of anything that would cause this noise & was just angry. I decided to remove the center cap of the wheel & found a single wasp nest. Just bouncing around in there...

Moral of the story: Something that sounds like an expensive problem can be as easy as a flathead screwdriver to find & fix. I can only imagine what the dealership would have come up with if I didn't look.

Only me,
    Ryan
    20210613_190124.jpg 20210613_190135.jpg

7385, Mtbpsych and acet7 like this.
  2. Jun 13, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Hahaha! I’d say that’s a first

7385 and 4Runner fun[OP] like this.
  3. Jun 13, 2021 at 10:23 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    From the description of the sound, and what it looks like, and the fact that it's a single exit tube, I'd guess mud dauber. Actually, as wasps go, not a bad one. Leave them alone, they return the favor.

I get those friggen yellow and black ones, the ones with the long abdomens, not the Yellowjackets. They make nests in the air vents beside (on?) the B Posts, in the gas door, and in front of the doors, in the front quarter panel. Those are nasty, bad tempered little buggers. Since I don't drive the 4Runner most of the summer, I drive the pickup, come fall, when I'm prepping the Runner for it's winter use, I have to spray them, then clean their nests out. Heck, one year, the nest under the fuel door took up the entire space. It was huge. Then, it was ded. Dead, removed, and destroyed. I'm not going to give any others a free source of nesting materiel. Make them work for it.
    I try to get to them before the larva hatch, but hey, if I don't winter will get them.
    A nice spray, I've found, is water, dish soap, and some insecticide. Most any kind will work, but I use Dursban. Just make sure you rinse it all off afterwards. The dish soap and water softens their wings. No fly zone! Works on wasps, yellowjackets, bees, all those little stingers.
    I avoid bees like the plague, now, and call a bee keeper to come get them.
    And I leave the mud daubers, and Hawk wasps alone. They feed a number of spiders to their single young, and they don't bother me any.

I had the clicking trouble, right rear. I pulled the cap off, and it was piece of plastic from a previous cap the tire shop had tried to pound on for me. I didn't have a cap on that wheel when I got the 4Runner, and when I took it in to get new tires, which it NEEDED, they went in a back room and brought a heap of caps out. I didn't want to know where they got them all, but they finally found one that fit. Even LOOKED like the rest. Nice.

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺

7385 and 4Runner fun[OP] like this.
  4. Jun 13, 2021 at 11:08 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun [OP] Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    We didn't kill the wasp. I just found an old home inside the center cap. We don't kill anything around our house but wolf spiders. There isn't much poisonous here.
    I do react badly to stings but they are the pollinators and they must survive for us to...
    Ryan.

7385 likes this.
  5. Jun 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    The bees, including the Bumble bees, and so forth, I leave strictly alone. I call an apiarist to come get them. They're always willing to come get another hive.

The wasps, as a general rule, including yellowjackets, are meat eaters. Spiders, other small insects, dead animals, etc. THEY don't fertilize a darn thing. I have absolutely no trouble killing a nest of them off if I find one. From what I see around this area, I am barely making a dent in their population, too. I just keep my property clear of them. I even leave the velvet ants alone Those things, aside from being quite lovely, have a NASTY, painful sting.
    I used to help my father with his two hives. GOOD honey! But I found out that later in my life, I have become allergic to the stings. I was riding my motorcycle home one day, and had one sting me. Bounced off one of the forks, the gas tank, and whatever was left stung me in the arm. Yeah, I was just wearing a t shirt. Yuma is just too friggen hot. Anywho, I didn't think much of it. Stopped at a doctors office to pay a bill I had, and passed out on their floor.
    I've had the bloody things in my helmet, inside my shirt, you name it. I still leave the bees alone.

Everybody has their own beliefs. I would respect yours on your property, trust me.
    Have fun, everyone!
    Pat☺

Products Discussed in

To Top